Security Installer Community

Which Honeywell Panel in UK? - Gave up waiting for Konnected.io

sg86sg

2 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

And I'm not going for the Prox one because that just seems stupid to me from a security standpoint, like if you drop your keys, loose the fob, or leave your keys by the front door which my wife will prob do all the time!

This viewpoint always suprises me, what do you do with your (or wifes) car

3 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

Well it looks alright, better than the MK7 ?‍♂️

Thanks

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just now, james.wilson said:

This viewpoint always suprises me, what do you do with your (or wifes) car

Thanks

Well you are spot on especially with these extenders and such these days I don't leave my keys by the front door. However surely this depends on what is more valuable right to determine the risk.

I also just don't see a huge convenience of placing a fob against the panel over typing in a code, unless I'm totally missing something here!

I use a fob, but I don't have my address on my keys. It's a bit like contact less payment it's just easier but I do use a code in the morning or tge app on the phone

Also chances are your car is worth more than the stealable contents of your home

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I use a fob, but I don't have my address on my keys. It's a bit like contact less payment it's just easier but I do use a code in the morning or tge app on the phone

Also chances are your car is worth more than the stealable contents of your home

But then if your keys are accessible when an intruder gets in they can disarm in a few seconds right? Just want to be clear on that's how it works

Of course it would be stupid to leave them accessible but accidents happen and it seems like a huge issue to me.

I guess everyone's homes, cars and lifestyle are different so who knows!

16 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

Well you are spot on especially with these extenders and such these days I don't leave my keys by the front door. However surely this depends on what is more valuable right to determine the risk.

I also just don't see a huge convenience of placing a fob against the panel over typing in a code, unless I'm totally missing something here!

On galaxy range code is faster on exit, and fob is faster on entry 

In exit there is a delay when applying the fob  , hkc is fast both ways 

You could use both fob and code on entry not sure if that is an option on the flex 

2 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

But then if your keys are accessible when an intruder gets in they can disarm in a few seconds right? Just want to be clear on that's how it works

Of course it would be stupid to leave them accessible but accidents happen and it seems like a huge issue to me.

I guess everyone's homes, cars and lifestyle are different so who knows!

Personally hate open plan houses 

I secure the front door well , hard to break in , and rear has three sets of doors to break before you can reach the keys 

So does depend on layout of your house if intruder can get to your house quick enough to find your keys 

19 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

On galaxy range code is faster on exit, and fob is faster on entry 

In exit there is a delay when applying the fob  , hkc is fast both ways 

You could use both fob and code on entry not sure if that is an option on the flex 

You can also use easy set single button push to set. Not great if you've got children who would play with the keypad. Can't say my grandchildren have ever went near the rkp's though!

I'm currently working on a virtual RIO module as part of something that I want for my own home automation.  I'll sell this for the bigger panels like the FX100+ and GD96 upwards, as they have lots of links available.  The virtual RIO sits on the RS485 bus and will consume 4 addresses, giving 16 outputs and 32 inputs in virtualised form.  On my own system, I currently have lots of outputs programmed to switch lights, heating and garage door Etc, but I either control them from the app, or guard codes.   I've been looking at OpenHab, so would like a way for linked zones with virtualised outputs to provide the OpenHab 'things' with status update calls over IP. There shouldn't be any reason that the virtualised RIO cannot send the calls to any other controller, it's just a matter of the appropriate protocol.

This is basically what some of these other hardware vendors do for Vista, but instead of the compatible device, they physically hook into the existing zones and outputs wiring. This would cause an issue for the Galaxy, as it uses balanced circuits, so any external influence on the circuits would cause problems.  The virtual RIO will only need connected to the bus and an Ethernet connection, so a simple addition. Since the inputs and outputs are programmable, it's entirely up to the person who configures the system as to the level of control allowed. An input call to the virtual RIO could set a zone as active and in turn fire another physical panel output, or set the system. Basically anything that the panel is capable of.  For me, I think the timers and sequence based logic is limited on the Galaxy, and that's where the home automation excels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

I'm currently working on a virtual RIO module as part of something that I want for my own home automation.  I'll sell this for the bigger panels like the FX100+ and GD96 upwards, as they have lots of links available.  The virtual RIO sits on the RS485 bus and will consume 4 addresses, giving 16 outputs and 32 inputs in virtualised form.  On my own system, I currently have lots of outputs programmed to switch lights, heating and garage door Etc, but I either control them from the app, or guard codes.   I've been looking at OpenHab, so would like a way for linked zones with virtualised outputs to provide the OpenHab 'things' with status update calls over IP. There shouldn't be any reason that the virtualised RIO cannot send the calls to any other controller, it's just a matter of the appropriate protocol.

This is basically what some of these other hardware vendors do for Vista, but instead of the compatible device, they physically hook into the existing zones and outputs wiring. This would cause an issue for the Galaxy, as it uses balanced circuits, so any external influence on the circuits would cause problems.  The virtual RIO will only need connected to the bus and an Ethernet connection, so a simple addition. Since the inputs and outputs are programmable, it's entirely up to the person who configures the system as to the level of control allowed. An input call to the virtual RIO could set a zone as active and in turn fire another physical panel output, or set the system. Basically anything that the panel is capable of.  For me, I think the timers and sequence based logic is limited on the Galaxy, and that's where the home automation excels.

Hmm what does balanced circuits mean exactly? so you couldn't just wire a Konnected.io panel to the same zone terminals as a sensor?

26 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

If someone is in my house looking for my keys I want them to find them and leave

Same, both sets are left in the cloak cupboard by he front door, which to be fair we've only been locking for the past couple of years (yeah yeah I know).

The Mrs still often leaves her car unlocked, in the 12 years we've been here I've only heard of one opportunist taking a sat nav from a neighbours unlocked vehicle.

Were a cul de sac off a cul de sac so to speak so it's too far off the beaten track for an opportunist and the neighbours all have far nicer cars then me so whilst there's are on the drive mine is relatively safe I reckon.

There is an argument to leave them half way up the stairs in view, this means they are safe from some but those willing to come upstairs will get them before the shit hits the fan so to speak.

Read about so many hard men and what they would do and whilst I'm no shrinking violet it's an insured asset and I have far more to lose then them so they can have it.

eta, actually I did capture one incident on the CCTV, a neighbour was putting his trade waste in my bin when I put it out for collection.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

10 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

Hmm what does balanced circuits mean exactly? so you couldn't just wire a Konnected.io panel to the same zone terminals as a sensor?

It means that the panel uses an analogue to digital device to measure the voltage at the zone. The zone wiring includes resistors that, in various combinations, set the voltage to a different threshold. If the voltage is in a certain range, then that means the zone is open another range and the zone is closed.  It allows the panel to determine multiple states with a single zone wire. Of course, with respect to 0v.  So active sensors can have as little as three cores and still provide tamper and fault status.

These 'connected' devices would need to interface with opto isolation or field effect transistors in order to not impact the voltages at the zones.  The American market panels are more crude in their zone implementations. Just a pulled up transistor, so less of an issue for external connection.

31 minutes ago, norman said:

Same, both sets are left in the cloak cupboard by he front door, which to be fair we've only been locking for the past couple of years (yeah yeah I know).

The Mrs still often leaves her car unlocked, in the 12 years we've been here I've only heard of one opportunist taking a sat nav from a neighbours unlocked vehicle.

Were a cul de sac off a cul de sac so to speak so it's too far off the beaten track for an opportunist and the neighbours all have far nicer cars then me so whilst there's are on the drive mine is relatively safe I reckon.

There is an argument to leave them half way up the stairs in view, this means they are safe from some but those willing to come upstairs will get them before the **** hits the fan so to speak.

Read about so many hard men and what they would do and whilst I'm no shrinking violet it's an insured asset and I have far more to lose then them so they can have it.

eta, actually I did capture one incident on the CCTV, a neighbour was putting his trade waste in my bin when I put it out for collection.

Well at least everyone now knows where to go with the pry bar after entering ?

29 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

It means that the panel uses an analogue to digital device to measure the voltage at the zone. The zone wiring includes resistors that, in various combinations, set the voltage to a different threshold. If the voltage is in a certain range, then that means the zone is open another range and the zone is closed.  It allows the panel to determine multiple states with a single zone wire. Of course, with respect to 0v.  So active sensors can have as little as three cores and still provide tamper and fault status.

These 'connected' devices would need to interface with opto isolation or field effect transistors in order to not impact the voltages at the zones.  The American market panels are more crude in their zone implementations. Just a pulled up transistor, so less of an issue for external connection.

If the addon panel was connected at setup time wouldn't the glaxy panel then consider it to be "part of the sensor" if you know what I mean, as the resistance would then change including the addon board?

2 hours ago, Logan said:

Sockets in the building   Guess its a way to see if anyones stealing electricity?

That's not actually such a bad idea to monitor communal sockets. Er, but not wored like like monstrosity obvs.

Then again there was a whole court case about that in Scotland (using communal socket for tuble dryer) and the tenant won.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I never lock the door where they are kept, the house door gets locked now but no where else as I don't see the point/need.

Sub metering water supplies is very common for thus very reason.

16 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

That's not actually such a bad idea to monitor communal sockets. Er, but not wored like like monstrosity obvs.

Edited by norman

Well nice for you lot 

Majority here have to keeps lock on constantly

Except my big black Ghanaian friend who snoozes with his front door open , I don't think no one wants mess with him 

• Like 1

I don't condone leaving doors unlocked in fact my mother has only been locking her door for the past 5 years or so, ever since someone came into her kitchen whilst she was out shopping and stole the bread bin, I kid you not.

On 16/04/2020 at 10:04, sg86sg said:

I don't want something cheap,

right'o

4 hours ago, sg86sg said:

mk7 is cheaper

ahh.

4 hours ago, sg86sg said:

And I'm not going for the Prox one because that just seems stupid to me from a security standpoint, like if you drop your keys, loose the fob, or leave your keys by the front door which my wife will prob do all the time!

Prox tokens are the normal requirement for police response, eg a proper system connected to a proper Arc.

Prox is normally one user / one set of keys, a pin code is often everyone & their dog...

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God