Security Installer Community

Heating Control Using Intruder Alarm

Following on from another thread.

I use ifttt and my hkc 10270 with my drayton wiser heating system

As it change the mode to away when fully armed i use a modified tr2 as my boiler is too old to support opentherm

As the tr2 measures the (single room its located in) temp the boiler still modulates its power output rather than just on and off

The wiser system then calls for heat by changing the boiler mode to 'comfort' from frost

Plus im on LPG so any savings are magnified due to the fuel cost. Some rooms have more than 1 radiator. I prefer the accuracy of the room stats and will be getting at lease 1 more of these

tr2.jpg

trv.png

wiser.jpg

wiser1.jpg

wiser2.jpg

wiser3.jpg

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Looks good and I like the controlability of rooms independently, I currently just shut off any rooms we don't use (on this house we don't even have TRV's!) I will update to wireless ones when they are a bit more compact and the battery life gets better.

My boiler is c20 years old but I'm not going to replace it until it fails, the roi isn't there for me so we still have the boiler and an immersion heater.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I guess OpenTherm wouldn't be compatible on a zoned system?

I think our boiler might support it (well, it has a USB diagnostic port, I'm only going by 'if it's that modern' argument) but

we have 3 zones hence 3 Nests and 3 zone valves (with rubber/flap type non-return on the Return part of the loop to prevent flowback)

Which was interesting to have to do - and left me wondering how a 'proper' plumber would have stopped it?

Most rads without stats in the same room have TRVs (apart from towel rails)

As above I'm not sold on z-wave or other TRVs until the batteries last for years

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

battery life im unsure of, but worst case ill change to 1.5v lithiums

Opentherm does work on zones, i run my zones as rooms you can add upto 8 (iirc) trvs per room so opentherm would call for heat output from the boiler based on heat required for the rooms calling for it etc. Nest wouldnt work for me which is why i went for the drayton.

The trv's arnt mesh so require powered boosters if range is an issue but in my old cottage I didnt need any

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just now, james.wilson said:

What you thinking? 

Me? I don't know I am new to all this 

I figure then your using ifttt to link everything , but I assume there's nothing on the market that will do it all and link to hkc 

There's no schedule stuff on hkc is there ? I didn't look myself 

3 hours ago, norman said:

Looks good and I like the controlability of rooms independently, I currently just shut off any rooms we don't use (on this house we don't even have TRV's!) I will update to wireless ones when they are a bit more compact and the battery life gets better.

My boiler is c20 years old but I'm not going to replace it until it fails, the roi isn't there for me so we still have the boiler and an immersion heater.

I got rid of all my Lightwave TRVs for that one reason, I got fed up replacing the bats, programming the day and date and relearning them.  I have non powered TRV's now. I will wait and see how James gets on with his and I may buy a few for areas where I think they would be useful leaving manual ones in the rooms I rarely use 

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

If this is gonna be a plumbing forum will I have to get the van re-lettered ?

I'm thinking golden showers...

the only plum round here is you... this is smart homes  its the future!

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

the only plum round here is you... this is smart homes  its the future!

For most it's going to a low cost, mate of mate job with eBay / amazon kit.

Rather than control4 in a footballers mansion ?

Much like cctv, many domestic jobs think it's gonna be a £100 dearer than them buying the kit... Err running vans & men + buying stuff that's a bit dearer than swan make a job a grand when the sub was thinking £500

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

5 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

For most it's going to a low cost, mate of mate job with eBay / amazon kit.

Rather than control4 in a footballers mansion ?

Much like cctv, many domestic jobs think it's gonna be a £100 dearer than them buying the kit... Err running vans & men + buying stuff that's a bit dearer than swan make a job a grand when the sub was thinking £500

We;re not on about selling it, we're nerding on about installing it in our own homes 

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

If this is gonna be a plumbing forum will I have to get the van re-lettered ?

I'm thinking golden showers...

You pay plumbers for your house work ?