Security Installer Community

Pyronix Enforcer With Wireless Optex Perimeter Beams

EViS

Obviously depends where your boiler is located but most modern ones have frost stat built in now.

Pretty sure the Nest also has a pervasive 'frost stat' even when turned off, but don't quote me on that.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, norman said:

Ah, I had the heating linked to the set years ago but dissed it in the bad winter we had (2011) for that very reason, I leave the Nest set daily to 20 degrees and it goes up a little using IFTTT when either of us are nearby.

Doesn't your boiler have internal frost sensor , or to.old for that?

6 minutes ago, norman said:

Not sure, I'd wager it's too old. 

Ok , allot of older boilers had this am internal sensor , but recent years they built into these new style thermostat , even basic ones , you have upper and lower limit and then a frost setting 

But better boilers always had either internal sensor or it has an input for a stat to go where the boiler is , or some kind of probe etc 

Have to say I've only ever seen external frost stats on older boilers where it was fitted in undercroft or outhouse, garage etc..

Our old 1994 boiler didn't have one.

Then like a lot of things its built in but they still recommend external. Like, our boiler has bypass but still recommends you

fit an external one. The original plumbers didn't but I have... Same with pressure vessel, it has one built in but for a larger

house it recommends an bigger external one, which again the plumbers didn't but I have! The plumbers were working for the

previous householder whilst the house was up for sale so no doubt were told not to spend a penny more than needed. That

said its not a cheap, nor bottom of the range boiler.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

as I understand it...

Pretty much where something has been built on a hill, and either at the back or front there are rooms you can walk into on one level.

Depends on the house of course, again loads of it where I used to work as everything is part of a massive valley. These

rooms are usually (esp. pre 80s) of a utility type nature rather than living so often the boiler is in there but no actual rads.

Also the space under a stage etc...

Different from cellar or basement in that respect, which is completely buried, and accessed from within via stairs.