Security Installer Community

Hikvision Camera Models & Synology

EViS

Could you chaps offer suggestions on which Hikvision camera models offer the best quality to price ratio? Specifically;

1. I'm undecided between 8MP and 5MP POE. Is the only concern here on the level of data which needs to be recorded to HDD and whether this is necessary?

2. Are turret cameras definitely the better design to opt for, versus domes which I understand have inferior image quality?

3. Would you recommend the purchase of a separate Hikvision DVR or would my Synology NAS with a WD Purple drive be adequate for capturing video from 3 cameras without bottle-necking the NAS?

17 minutes ago, EViS said:

Could you chaps offer suggestions on which Hikvision camera models offer the best quality to price ratio? Specifically;

1. I'm undecided between 8MP and 5MP POE. Is the only concern here on the level of data which needs to be recorded to HDD and whether this is necessary?

2. Are turret cameras definitely the better design to opt for, versus domes which I understand have inferior image quality?

3. Would you recommend the purchase of a separate Hikvision DVR or would my Synology NAS with a WD Purple drive be adequate for capturing video from 3 cameras without bottle-necking the NAS?

You have any models in mind?

Cheap and cheerful or you going hikvision premium?

The model numbers are clearly made to confuse the end consumer retail market, and they do a good job of it ?. But definitely don't want cheap and cheerful, something along the lines of a 5MP DS-2CE72HFT-F28 or 8MP DS-2CE78U1T-IT3. Or would you not class that as premium?

People make common mistakes with CCTV and think that the highest resolution is the best way forward, whereas, it really depends on your field of view. 

If your looking at a football pitch and you want to see the faces of the players at the other end of the field then use 8mp, if you looking down a narrow driveway and you want to see the faces of the people coming up it 2mp vfocal would probably do the trick.

Turrets get less spiders than eyeballs or domes, assuming they are the same spec they wont have any difference in picture quality, the downside to turrets is that they show what direction they are looking in. 

I would recommend a NVR with AI then you dont need the beams and pyronix tat 

1 hour ago, EViS said:

The model numbers are clearly made to confuse the end consumer retail market, and they do a good job of it ?. But definitely don't want cheap and cheerful, something along the lines of a 5MP DS-2CE72HFT-F28 or 8MP DS-2CE78U1T-IT3. Or would you not class that as premium?

Yes they are ok

But following up on what enter is saying , narrow views like alley ways have there problems and it's not about the resolution , it will be how the ir spreads so lens and corridor view can help if you know what your doing ,

Yes Pete I know it's not what you meant , but your sacked anyway 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't class anything Hik "premium" myself. They don't sell/support proper Hik to end users so they can't aim to confuse end user, even if they change the model numbers all the time.

Agree with above, there are so many mistakes to fall into with DIY CCTV, maybe have a look at some of the other CCTV threads here.

Pixel count is one aspect of many things that make up final image quality. Chipset and lens quality is more important ie 8mp digital cameras to not provide the same quality image if so why does anyone buy slr etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There seems to be very little difference between Hik and Dahua offerings and the price difference is also marginal, so I settled with the former as I was already slightly familiar with their model numbers. I was also torn between these and setting up a custom BlueIris system. However, my days of enjoying to tinker and maintain Windows (or even Linux) systems are long gone!

With the primary requirement being that I want notification of any human and vehicle movement outside the property, I have narrowed my choice down to the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR and DS-2CD2386G2-IU Acusense cameras.

The cameras are a higher MP than what I require with a marginally increased image sensor when compared to the 4MP cameras which may result in a slightly reduced night visibility. However, being the G2 version, they offer additional AI features over the DS-2CD2346G1-IU (although I understand that the G2 version of the 4MP should be within the UK shortly so I may just hold of until then). 

I have looked at the likes of DS-7616NXI-I2/16P NVR's with Acusense (Deepinmind) AI included. However, with these being fairly new to market and minimal reviews to go by, I'm not sure I want to take a punt on one just yet. I'm also unsure whether combining Acusense cameras with an Acusense NVR is going to offer any additional features, either now or with future firmware upgrades. Although it would be good to hear your views on this?

It would be good to hear some of your guy's comments on the above setup and whether it's likely to meet my requirements (unless of course it means I'm convinced back to the idea of beams and detectors ?).

Edited by EViS

I cant really comment on Hik stuff I am not familiar with their products. All manufacturers have their own protocols and way of doing things, I havent heard anything bad about Hik for a while so they are most likely okay. As I said earlier  though just be sure you are buying from a Hik UK registered dealer other wise you may end up with Hik stuff with non uk firmware or worse fake Hik.

4 hours ago, EViS said:

There seems to be very little difference between Hik and Dahua offerings and the price difference is also marginal, so I settled with the former as I was already slightly familiar with their model numbers. I was also torn between these and setting up a custom BlueIris system. However, my days of enjoying to tinker and maintain Windows (or even Linux) systems are long gone!

With the primary requirement being that I want notification of any human and vehicle movement outside the property, I have narrowed my choice down to the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR and DS-2CD2386G2-IU Acusense cameras.

The cameras are a higher MP than what I require with a marginally increased image sensor when compared to the 4MP cameras which may result in a slightly reduced night visibility. However, being the G2 version, they offer additional AI features over the DS-2CD2346G1-IU (although I understand that the G2 version of the 4MP should be within the UK shortly so I may just hold of until then). 

I have looked at the likes of DS-7616NXI-I2/16P NVR's with Acusense (Deepinmind) AI included. However, with these being fairly new to market and minimal reviews to go by, I'm not sure I want to take a punt on one just yet. I'm also unsure whether combining Acusense cameras with an Acusense NVR is going to offer any additional features, either now or with future firmware upgrades. Although it would be good to hear your views on this?

It would be good to hear some of your guy's comments on the above setup and whether it's likely to meet my requirements (unless of course it means I'm convinced back to the idea of beams and detectors ?).

what size hard disk you going to put in?