Security Installer Community

Can a security engineer do callout when furloughed by the employer

Brian hall

12 hours ago, al-yeti said:

All employees are allowed to "volunteer " for there company tho asking as they are not directly making money for them , so maintenance is allowed as an example volunteered 

Won't work well for nationals but smaller companies like you lot will work something out I am sure

Can a furloughed employee do volunteer work or training?

Yes, a furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work or training, as long as it does not provide services to or generate revenue for, or on behalf of the business.

However, the guidance states “if workers are required to, for example, complete online training courses whilst they are furloughed, then they must be paid at least the NLW/NMW for the time spent training, even if this is more than the 80% of their wage that will be subsidised”.

This means that any time spent on training whilst on furlough will be treated as work for NMW purposes and therefore if payment of the 80% subsidy means the employee would come under the NMW, the employer must top it up to ensure NMW is met. Apart from this, the National Minimum Wage rules will not apply to employees on furloughed leave as they are not actually working.

Maintenance and breakdowns would have to be done for free, in order for it to be volunteering 

6 hours ago, Amps said:

You have a link for that pls

Seriously I have to look it all up , find out I might be wrong then we go in circles

Ok let me find it , try lol

3 hours ago, AgsDave said:

I would be checking your company insurance policy before letting any furloughed staff out on calls. 

Y?

Your still employed 

2 hours ago, AgsDave said:

We currently have more staff furloughed than not. 

I would think that any self respecting employer would have most staff on furlough, stay indoors and protect the NHS and protect your employees. I have three poeple working inc myself atm, the rest are furloughed on full pay. Even those that could work from home have nothing to do. So Im just covering essential works, chasing debts and paying bills.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, joecandy said:

yes i know any work, call, faults is not allowed whilst furloughed. 

its the car insurance side which raises other issues.

I had an engineer ask me if he can still use his van (its his only transport) I allow them to use it for private milage so long as they pay for their fuel. I checked with the insurer and was told the vehicle can only be used for business use and if the employee in question is working, and he is clearly not if furloughed. Normally I can get away with private useage as all engineers are on call and could be called at anytime and so have to take their van with them wherever they go. But whilst on furlough its not possible to say this. Also his Liability insurance wont be valid for you, so if you fall off your ladder you're fecked, if you drop your drill from up the ladder on someones head your fecked. So not only is you're boss breaking the law and both you and him can be done for fraud, you're not insured, to drive, have an accident, or cause an accident. 

• Upvote 1