Security Installer Community

Can a security engineer do callout when furloughed by the employer

Brian hall

2 minutes ago, Brian hall said:

Hi, can anyone give me the correct answer, my security company is going to Furlough myself and five engineers, but we have been told we still have to go on the call out rota, surely when Furloughed you can not do any type of work for that company ? 

Yes no work no call out

2 minutes ago, Brian hall said:

Hi, can anyone give me the correct answer, my security company is going to Furlough myself and five engineers, but we have been told we still have to go on the call out rota, surely when Furloughed you can not do any type of work for that company ? 

As I understand it you should not work whilst furlough'd

However no call-out might mean no customers, which might in turn mean no job to come back too?

Mr? Veritas God

If you are designated as a furloughed worker to HMRC as part of CJR. Yes I understand it that you should stop all work.

In essence you have been asked to stop working and furloughed as an alternative to redundancy, so reduced hours or on call are off the table for these employees.

Hi Brian 

Welcome to the forum 

The rules are that you should not be working, however, our business is quite different from any other type of business in the respect that we are contracted to customers to respond. This means if we do not respond we are in breach of that contract and they will probably go to a company that will respond, and there will be plenty of those out there. So if we employ engineers that are furloughed we are breaking the law, but if we furlough the engineers and ignore the contracted customers there may not be a job for all the engineers to come back to because contract will be lost. So the employer either has to pay the wages with very little coming in, and trust me the money will run out eventually. He needs more than one engineer working because of working hour laws, that would mean he could not make up the 100% wage to the ones he has furloughed.

The other alternative is that he continues to employ everyone on reduced hours and with six engineers  you would be lucky if you got  two or three days a week and you will end up with 40/50% of your current wage max.

Personally I think the government have just tried to cover themselves, they dont want people claiming but just working less hours because there is less work about . They could not know how every industry works, there are millions of scenarios that are different. 

Your employer may not be aware of the rules, if you are unhappy about the situation you need to speak with your employer and let him know he is breaking the law.

Questions I would yourself ask are    

Is the employer paying you 100% or just the 80% the government is offering. 

Do you like your employer is he fair and does he look after everyone, especially times like these when he already has enough shz to worry about  

Do you feel that you are part of a team and that you do not want to let anyone down.

• Upvote 1

Quite easy really.  Furlough is a minimum of 3 weeks and currently max of 3 months but could be extended.  With enough of you on an agreed rota you do your week on call then 3 or more weeks furloughed.  

And back to the op question. Whilst furloughed you should not be working. 

Edited by AgsDave

30 minutes ago, AgsDave said:

Quite easy really.  Furlough is a minimum of 3 weeks and currently max of 3 months but could be extended.  With enough of you on an agreed rota you do your week on call then 3 or more weeks furloughed.  

And back to the op question. Whilst furloughed you should not be working. 

Apart from the laws on how long you can work without a break, if your on call 24/7 for one week I am sure that your employer would be breaking the law. I often wonder about weekends, back in the day when we used to do keyholding I was out half the night on a Friday and then oin call all day the next day. You couldn't get away with that these days 

On 28/03/2020 at 12:12, Brian hall said:

I've now heard of a couple of companies doing the same thing. Engineers are to offer phone assistance and as a last resort attend site. I imagine there will be a fair few faults that will need an engineer visit. I guess no-one will find out and even if they did no action would be taken.

There maybe a clause in the employers contract to waiver the work time regulations due to unforeseen circumstances where necessary by the company.

Nationals would normally be flexible enough to allow at least part of the next day in lieu, smaller companies wouldn't normally have the resources.

It shouldn't be us versus them when it comes to employers and employees, it's an unprecedented situation.

Working together with everyone to find balance between making sure you all have a company to go back to and not breaking these regulations will benefit everyone.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AgsDave said:

You trying to say if your on call you get the normal working day off ?? 

No not the normal days, you are entitled to time off if you are called out but its hour for hour, and I think one hour call out doesnt count.I was thinking more the weekend when engineers are on call Friday 5pm and the are working right up till Monday 5pm I mean if you get called out all Sunday night you can take Monday daytime off, but you cannot do that Saturday or Sunday Daytime so easily 

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It shouldn't be us versus them when it comes to employers and employees, it's an unprecedented situation.

I see a lot of whining on the local rags facebook

Bars, restaurants, certain factory's have binned all the work force,

many others are expecting full pay whilst they hide away from the world, but expect food, pharmacy's, post,couriers, the nhs ect to be working flat out

when work returns I expect to maybe loose a few of the older subscribers / some business.

I expect new orders to be thin on the ground & open invoices needing collecting via legal action.

Mr? Veritas God

All employees are allowed to "volunteer " for there company tho asking as they are not directly making money for them , so maintenance is allowed as an example volunteered 

Won't work well for nationals but smaller companies like you lot will work something out I am sure

9 hours ago, al-yeti said:

All employees are allowed to "volunteer " for there company tho asking as they are not directly making money for them , so maintenance is allowed as an example volunteered 

Won't work well for nationals but smaller companies like you lot will work something out I am sure

You have a link for that pls

12 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Can a furloughed employee do volunteer work or training?

Yes, a furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work or training, as long as it does not provide services to or generate revenue for, or on behalf of the business.

However, the guidance states “if workers are required to, for example, complete online training courses whilst they are furloughed, then they must be paid at least the NLW/NMW for the time spent training, even if this is more than the 80% of their wage that will be subsidised”.

This means that any time spent on training whilst on furlough will be treated as work for NMW purposes and therefore if payment of the 80% subsidy means the employee would come under the NMW, the employer must top it up to ensure NMW is met. Apart from this, the National Minimum Wage rules will not apply to employees on furloughed leave as they are not actually working.

Maintenance and breakdowns would have to be done for free, in order for it to be volunteering 

6 hours ago, Amps said:

You have a link for that pls

Seriously I have to look it all up , find out I might be wrong then we go in circles

Ok let me find it , try lol

3 hours ago, AgsDave said:

I would be checking your company insurance policy before letting any furloughed staff out on calls. 

Y?

Your still employed