Security Installer Community

Alarm in new flat

I recently moved into a flat which is provided by a housing association, it came with an alarm but the landlord did not know the code as it was not installed via them can you find the reset codes online or do you need a registered engineer to reset it 

from what I can see the alarm is obsolete, but I seen a 4gen version guide is this the 4th gen version? 

D2A243DF-8A20-470C-BD34-D269CE71BF71.jpeg

3 hours ago, norman said:

Was it listed on the inventory? 

Nope it was not, plus the flat was unfurnished, the landlord did say prior though due to signing the tenants they were installed by tenants but others with the same alarm has reset them online. Issue is I don’t want to mess with it 

It is really the landlords responsibility, however, an alarm is not an essential utility like gas water or electricity  so I suppose he could argue that its not necasary for him to supply it in  working order.

That said if the alarm was to fail and start sounding at silly oclock in the morning and you have no way of stopping it who is responsible then?  If I was the landlord I would have had it removed  before renting it out if I wasn't going to look after it.

If you as the tenant take on the responsibility you should get written permission from the landlord to cover yourself. Then you should call a few local companies and get some quotes to have it looked at professionally. I would recommend you use an accredited company  or one that can be recommended by someone you know and trust. Dabbling with it yourself could end up with a lot of annoyed new neighbors,  dont under estimate what could go wrong .

There are plenty of landlords that have a system for when the property has no tenant and wouldn't include it in the lease.

I agree with above regarding getting written permission if you want to go that route, but expect to take on the responsibility of it including having it serviced annually, any repairs and faults etc.

On the itinerary it should have been itemised and noted as not working etc. this covers the landlord and also records it as their property. 

"Issue is I don’t want to mess with it"

I'd agree you shouldn't and that leaves you with 3 options

• either speak to the housing association/LL about having it repaired - guessing it will be a no judging by your comment thus far
  • ask if you can arrange for it to be looked at, at your cost - as above keep a record of this
  • leave it and hope it won't go off

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Even so the above still applies. Things like this need to be done in writing just to cover both parties.

You wouldn't normally be allowed to modify any parts of a rented property as part of a TA.

What happens if the alarm fails and is continually in alarm while the tenant is away for a few days.

Who takes responsibility for the damage done when the local authority authorises forced entry to silence it?

Currently you could argue it's the landlords responsibility but if you mess about with it then it would become yours.