Security Installer Community

Hikvision Cable Runs?

jim239

Hi everyone,

I am putting Hikvision CCTV on my timber frame bungalow conversion, I know I should have got the ethernet cables sorted when the electrician wired the place up but it got left out unfortunately. 

Some of the cameras will be going under the roof so can just go straight into the loft where my NVR will be, however some are going to be mounted lower down. Would it be ok to put those cables in trunking and run behind the guttering or along the outside of the house?

Just wondering what you guys would do on a professional job, I can't see many people being happy with loads of holes cut internally around the house to run cables behind the walls.It seems much easier to run them all externally back to a single point and then inside to the NVR.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum. Firstly I would not advise installing the recorder in the loft. In the winter its a cold place and in the summer time it will get very hot. Those temperature changes are not good for electronics. 

As for installing the cameras it is quite hard to say when we haven't seen the building this is why we survey properties. However, we would use copex outside rather than trunking, trunking is primarily used for internal cable containment.

External grade cable probably in some containment like tube if low level would be good practice if you need to run externally.

Would normally try to keep the cables internal where possible, rarely needs "loads of holes" if your a pro and know what your doing.

I don't see where you mention having the NVR in the loft but I do agree for the reasons above.

These vague questions are tricky to answer really without seeing the job.

Thank you for the reply,

I will move the NVR to inside the room in the loft rather than the loft space in the eaves. I can pair this up with my home server too so that is fine.

Thank for the heads up on the trunking, I will look at copex instead. I am thinking just having the cables clipped to the exterior render where necessary, Its hard trying to make it look tidy without cutting away inside. Doesn't help that the only exterior cat5 I could find was black.

Two of my cameras are going to be mounted on my ground floor rear extension and I really don't want to run those cables inside around my living room and up into the loft.

Is there any particular method of cabling that I should be looking at? I have been doing a lot of youtube research to try and work out what to do.

cheers

Jim

19 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I don't see where you mention having the NVR in the loft

1 hour ago, jim239 said:

so can just go straight into the loft where my NVR will be, 

15 minutes ago, jim239 said:

Thank you for the reply,

I will move the NVR to inside the room in the loft rather than the loft space in the eaves. I can pair this up with my home server too so that is fine.

Thank for the heads up on the trunking, I will look at copex instead. I am thinking just having the cables clipped to the exterior render where necessary, Its hard trying to make it look tidy without cutting away inside. Doesn't help that the only exterior cat5 I could find was black.

Two of my cameras are going to be mounted on my ground floor rear extension and I really don't want to run those cables inside around my living room and up into the loft.

Is there any particular method of cabling that I should be looking at? I have been doing a lot of youtube research to try and work out what to do.

cheers

Jim

What colour is your guttering? Black Cat 5 hides well behind black pipes, duct grade comes in white and some other colours link below. Internally we would go under the floorboards utilise any floor to ceiling cupboards and external down pipes with cable ties worse case. Again without seeing the property its hard to tell you how to hide the cable.  

https://www.millsltd.com/structured-cabling-products/cat-5e.html

My guttering is black, I will take some photos and try to upload them to give you a better idea of what I am trying to do. Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated.

I now looking for some server racking or cabinets to hold everything, I think the wife thinks I am trying to start my own Netflix with the setup I want but she will appreciate the end result. I am certainly learning that I should have had this all worked out when I did the build and sorted it then.

Jim

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum. Firstly I would not advise installing the recorder in the loft. In the winter its a cold place and in the summer time it will get very hot. Those temperature changes are not good for electronics. 

As for installing the cameras it is quite hard to say when we haven't seen the building this is why we survey properties. However, we would use copex outside rather than trunking, trunking is primarily used for internal cable containment.

Never had a problem with electronics in a loft space , electronics are designed for temperature variations , in most parts of UK it will survive 

2 hours ago, jim239 said:

Thank you for the reply,

cheers

Jim

If you use tubing or copex do it right , most leave gaps by not using the right bends connectors etc  and they just collect water inside them 

Better of clipping cable direct if that's the case if you get me

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Never had a problem with electronics in a loft space , electronics are designed for temperature variations , in most parts of UK it will survive 

Hard drives will have a short life in heat

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Most drives recommended operation temperature is 5 - 50 C, however the hotter they are the more likely you will get a failure.

I wouldn't put anything like this in a loft you have the temperature changes but also dirt and dust being sucked into the machine.

They are a server treat them like one.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Most drives recommended operation temperature is 5 - 50 C, however the hotter they are the more likely you will get a failure.

I wouldn't put anything like this in a loft you have the temperature changes but also dirt and dust being sucked into the machine.

They are a server treat them like one.

Come on man 5-50?

Look up specs 

Put them in a cupboard or room where dust also collects and they get clogged up there to

8 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Temperature changes effects everything metal expands and contracts, especially so in summertime when it gets very hot during the day and cold at night.

You expanding your chest Infront of that mirror right now yeah?

Ok, so I have uploaded some pictures from the outside to give a better idea of what I am talking about. Here is a picture of where my two turrets will go to cover my biflolds and this side of my house positioned on the corner of my ground floor rear extension.

49652906306_accbd56aab_z.jpgfullsizeoutput_cb7 by James Allchurch, on Flickr

I was originally going to put the cables through the opening for the drain hopper with the turrets mounted on junction boxes but I am thinking maybe drill through to the flat roof. I don't want to compromise the water tightness of my flat roof though. Here is a picture from up on the roof.

49653182607_b410174e26_z.jpgaA2llWFnRY+f4bwkdOB+1Q by James Allchurch, on Flickr

After getting the cables on to the flat roof I was then planning on running them up behind the drain pipe then into the loft. At most I think the cable run will be obvious coming over the top of the flat roof and onto the drain pipe and then again back off the pipe and into the loft space. like below

49652369778_dbcacf6599_z.jpgon1Ig%lVTT2lquPUw0frmw by James Allchurch, on Flickr

49653182437_df5927df9a_z.jpg0Ll%jJ01SBmVLu%wDd%rDQ by James Allchurch, on Flickr

Hopefully that gives a better idea of what I am planning to do. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers 

Jim

18 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Havet you got an uber customer you're supposed to be picking up?

Not tonite no

9 minutes ago, jim239 said:

Ok, so I have uploaded some pictures from the outside to give a better idea of what I am talking about. Here is a picture of where my two turrets will go to cover my biflolds and this side of my house positioned on the corner of my ground floor rear extension.

49652906306_accbd56aab_z.jpgfullsizeoutput_cb7 by James Allchurch, on Flickr

I was originally going to put the cables through the opening for the drain hopper with the turrets mounted on junction boxes but I am thinking maybe drill through to the flat roof. I don't want to compromise the water tightness of my flat roof though. Here is a picture from up on the roof.

49653182607_b410174e26_z.jpgaA2llWFnRY+f4bwkdOB+1Q by James Allchurch, on Flickr

After getting the cables on to the flat roof I was then planning on running them up behind the drain pipe then into the loft. At most I think the cable run will be obvious coming over the top of the flat roof and onto the drain pipe and then again back off the pipe and into the loft space. like below

49652369778_dbcacf6599_z.jpgon1Ig%lVTT2lquPUw0frmw by James Allchurch, on Flickr

49653182437_df5927df9a_z.jpg0Ll%jJ01SBmVLu%wDd%rDQ by James Allchurch, on Flickr

Hopefully that gives a better idea of what I am planning to do. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers 

Jim

That will do geezer all striaght forward hide behind gutter 

Thieves don't give a monkies about CCTV and it's high enough not to be cut so no big deal 

Upto you on the aesthetics really, clips look terrible on render like that.

Personally I'd be thinking white 20mm conduit female ends straight into vandal resistant domes.

Drill through the corner for the back one. This is all if you can't do it from inside of course.

I imagine if someone did it on cost, cable ties down the drain pipe lash it across the flat roof but you did say you came here for professional advice.

33 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

What are you putting on the ground? 

Patio around the back and sides and some fake grass out in the garden. I started the garden project in September a year after the house build but then the wet weather hit and put everything on hold.

Still loads to do on the place I don't think I will ever be finished with jobs lol.

If I drill into the corners and mount the turrets, can I do away with the junction boxes I have got? or would I still need those  to waterproof the connections on the camera?

I think it would look better drilling through the corners but how would I best seal the cable going through the felt side of the flat roof?

19 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Upto you on the aesthetics really, clips look terrible on render like that.

Personally I'd be thinking white 20mm conduit female ends straight into vandal resistant domes.

Drill through the corner for the back one. This is all if you can't do it from inside of course.

I imagine if someone did it on cost, cable ties down the drain pipe lash it across the flat roof but you did say you came here for professional advice.

Poor advice laying across flat roof

On 12/03/2020 at 00:15, al-yeti said:

in most parts of UK it will survive 

I very reluctantly put my parents DVR in their boarded out loft, quite shallow, slate roof, the HDD lasted about 2 seasons...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands