Security Installer Community

Engineer code regulations

On 03/03/2020 at 23:26, james.wilson said:

Ideally it should be unique per site pod helps but is undone by clock resets etc

James, this is the setup we have and I was actually wanting to change it to one code. I guess it’s way more secure overall but it’s a bit of a pain for call outs etc. Having said that we have an easy system to remember, same 4 digits then the first two numbers of the address. My issue was that when you changed all the codes it becomes almost unmanageable. 

If the seed to make the engineer code is that easy then I wouldn't say it's worth the effort.

It's a little bit better to stop someone reading it off the panel to learn all your codes (possible but unlikely) but beyond that it's too easy to share the seed info which ideally shouldn't be known.

Unique generator based on account number and contract number is what I use. We can have 20 mixed systems on a single site, all have different engineer codes.  Far more secure this way, it’s rare but if and when a customer wants to leave for whatever reason, we issue the code on written request and if accounts are paid up as it’s no good on any other site

Edited by PSE
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PSE said:

Unique generator based on account number and contract number is what I use. We can have 20 mixed systems on a single site, all have different engineer codes.  Far more secure this way, it’s rare but if and when a customer wants to leave for whatever reason, we issue the code on written request and if accounts are paid up as it’s no good on any other site

Agreed your right

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

8 hours ago, PSE said:

So how would the engineer know each code? Some kind of app that he has to enter the account and contract number?