Security Installer Community

Engineer code regulations

Hi guys,

can you help settle an argument? Is it an nsi gold requirement that the engineer code be changed when an employee (engineer) leaves the company? Or is it just good practice? Also, should it be changed annually?

thanks in advance. 

8 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Not that I know to, its good practice and sia does

Sh*t, I lost the argument then. To be fair, it’s a huge job for a medium to large company and probably impossible to complete. 

Good practice but not mandatory. Inspectors may suggest it but again not mandatory.

Large companies just end up with lists of codes, as your unlikely to be able to swap every site.

Some companies use either POTD or some random engineer code generator from a seed like the customer number, makes it harder remember them all.

More importantly stops others having a handful of codes to all your sites.

If you follow the fb forums there are plenty of shaved chimps asking for engineer codes for this co or that.It is good practice to change the codes I dont think the inspectorates care (even though they should) I have thought long and hard about using fobs as engineer codes all progged with the same number, It is a pain if a fob is lost its also a pain if an engineer leaves and doesnt give it back, but its a lot harder for anyone to get your engineer code 

Codes are a complete waste of time nowadays imo unless it's something like cotd. 

@PJ your mate was asking about defaulting a hkc on FB, I guessed one of yours? 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

8 hours ago, norman said:

Codes are a complete waste of time nowadays imo unless it's something like cotd. 

@PJ your mate was asking about defaulting a hkc on FB, I guessed one of yours? 

Nah he would struggle to nick any of mine, I dont have customers that argue about every penny

I noticed though, I think its because he has realised Risco are crap Texecom have also let him down, he knows what I use and never heres me complaining. All the other shaved monkeys on FB have told him how good they are. I was tempted to say we've stopped using them since the incident with the helicopter crash but I dont think it would do me any good 

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Nah he would struggle to nick any of mine, I dont have customers that argue about every penny

I noticed though, I think its because he has realised Risco are **** Texecom have also let him down, he knows what I use and never heres me complaining. All the other shaved monkeys on FB have told him how good they are. I was tempted to say we've stopped using them since the incident with the helicopter crash but I dont think it would do me any good 

You lock them yes?

Lol, all he does is ask questions on there, no issue with intruder but asking about fire makes me wonder. Tell him, like most things in Brighton they can be back doored quite easily... 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

On 03/03/2020 at 23:26, james.wilson said:

Ideally it should be unique per site pod helps but is undone by clock resets etc

James, this is the setup we have and I was actually wanting to change it to one code. I guess it’s way more secure overall but it’s a bit of a pain for call outs etc. Having said that we have an easy system to remember, same 4 digits then the first two numbers of the address. My issue was that when you changed all the codes it becomes almost unmanageable. 

If the seed to make the engineer code is that easy then I wouldn't say it's worth the effort.

It's a little bit better to stop someone reading it off the panel to learn all your codes (possible but unlikely) but beyond that it's too easy to share the seed info which ideally shouldn't be known.

Unique generator based on account number and contract number is what I use. We can have 20 mixed systems on a single site, all have different engineer codes.  Far more secure this way, it’s rare but if and when a customer wants to leave for whatever reason, we issue the code on written request and if accounts are paid up as it’s no good on any other site

Edited by PSE
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PSE said:

Unique generator based on account number and contract number is what I use. We can have 20 mixed systems on a single site, all have different engineer codes.  Far more secure this way, it’s rare but if and when a customer wants to leave for whatever reason, we issue the code on written request and if accounts are paid up as it’s no good on any other site

Agreed your right

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

8 hours ago, PSE said:

So how would the engineer know each code? Some kind of app that he has to enter the account and contract number?

4 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Apps are fairly easy to overcome though, so you're relying on your employees at the end of the day.

App access is just first layer

Then you need seed

So doubt employees bothered

You are relying on your employees but you wouldn't have taken them on in the first place if you didn't have some trust in them.

Your going to struggle to stop people keeping there own lists but this is only the same as having individual passwords for every website login which is recommend.

Having the "app" on your company website behind an engineer login portal is another option.

6 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You are relying on your employees but you wouldn't have taken them on in the first place if you didn't have some trust in them.

Your going to struggle to stop people keeping there own lists but this is only the same as having individual passwords for every website login which is recommend.

Having the "app" on your company website behind an engineer login portal is another option.

You think changing codes on annual inspection is ideal or makes it more complicated?