Security Installer Community

Old Risco System Replacement

Good afternoon all. I know the replace old for new has been discussed over and over but. Some years back we bought a new house and was able to get the sparks to run alarm cable in for us even though we bought from a national house builder group. When we moved in I bought an Abacus system and fitted it myself with no problems. We moved into an older house some six years back which has a Risco system fitted. Problem is, I need to extend the system and have realised all the PIR’s are daisy chained together using the biscuit system to identify back at the panel. The biscuits are available on eBay but I’m thinking its not worth the hassle bearing in mind its an old system. Our property isn’t small and probably extends out to around 5-6000 sq ft, we also live out in the sticks and fairly isolated. A wireless system is probably the best way to go with all the bells and whistles. Can anyone recommend a solid system? Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi, welcome to TSI.

Is there literally just one line from the panel for all sensors?

In my experience with iD systems, there is rarely just the one massive chain but maybe 1 or 2 smaller ones, just for convenience, even if they are commonned at the panel. 

IF thats the case on a domestic, and provided there are enough cores, you can often just use the same wiring with shared power and 2 wire EOL at the detector. Or at worst minimise the

amount of wireless components. Remember, a wireless alarm will need regular battery changes - I always avoid wireless where it can be avoided ;)

Also, if you really mean Risco, this isn't the iD biscuit system, this would (in my more limited experience) surely be the Risco Bus system, which is fairly unpopular but I think still current?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, Andrew Averill said:

Good afternoon all. I know the replace old for new has been discussed over and over but. Some years back we bought a new house and was able to get the sparks to run alarm cable in for us even though we bought from a national house builder group. When we moved in I bought an Abacus system and fitted it myself with no problems. We moved into an older house some six years back which has a Risco system fitted. Problem is, I need to extend the system and have realised all the PIR’s are daisy chained together using the biscuit system to identify back at the panel. The biscuits are available on eBay but I’m thinking its not worth the hassle bearing in mind its an old system. Our property isn’t small and probably extends out to around 5-6000 sq ft, we also live out in the sticks and fairly isolated. A wireless system is probably the best way to go with all the bells and whistles. Can anyone recommend a solid system? Many thanks in anticipation.

Self install nice DIY panel pyronix enforcer

Then although only 1way on devices the Eaton ion 40 

Both okish to self install

Then you got panels some you can buy some you can't but most need installer if you want it done right

Like texecom premier elite ricochet system

Hkc 

Vanderbilt

Dimension if you want to get carried away but not very residential friendly so bottom of list 

13 minutes ago, Logan said:

If its a ID system NEITHER of these panels would work 

As I say, outside of commercial where the iD system really WAS a useful idea, e.g. warehouses with about 20 fire doors around the perimeter, I've never come across a domestic one yet where there were not 2 or even 3 branches and enough spare cores.

But if it is Risco I doubt it is iD and might be worth extending, as as far as I know Risco Bus is still a current product.

Back to the OP...

Edited by datadiffusion
  • Like 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Just now, Andrew Averill said:

Pic of the PIR. Will remove the cover off the panel tomorrow and take a pic of the keypad. Had to remove and refit PIR earlier in the year and took pic so I could wire it back up properly just in case I cocked it up lol.

5FDD8D68-525D-42F5-9078-AF4AAF3098F7.jpeg

its DT...

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

3 minutes ago, Logan said:

Doesn't mean you have to down vote my posts   have you ever even worked with ID?

Ok have it your way I don't care about negs

Edited by al-yeti
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Andrew Averill said:

If I can get only a “okish” system to install myself I would rather get the dogs by professional installer. If that’s the case I need to know what to have not what someone wants to sell me because they get a better deal from the wholesaler. Suggestions welcome..

There's not great deal of choice in the market place for alarm controls-

Texecom, Pyronix, Honeywell Galaxy, Eaton ,HKC ?

Will all be ballpark the same sort of money

what you want or whats on been offered at discount doesn't really matter as an installer whats 100's / 1000's of the same kit....

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

OK so it's iD (on Risco??)

OP are you happy to open up controls and well given there are dangers e.g. mains electricity?

How many wires do you have coming out of the iD line is what's of interest...

22 hours ago, Andrew Averill said:

Good afternoon all. I know the replace old for new has been discussed. A wireless system is probably the best way to go with all the bells and whistles. Can anyone recommend a solid system? Many thanks in anticipation.

As said before by yourself that's your best option going wireless  unless you can rewire easily , try and keep the bell wire and keypad wire where possible 

Ok panels off and pics uploaded. The Wires are six core and are marked up as follows-

Keypad

Landing x2

Bell

Speaker

Speaker

Hall Porch Landing

Kitchen Bedroom

There are three spare cables marked with a “?” Going no where. I could put a signal down them to trace.

Interesting the maximum chain is three. Suppose that’s too many on one six core to wire three PIR’s separately?

5CDF935F-15DB-46D9-907E-1CD30C48F202.jpeg

1 hour ago, Logan said:

Amazing the display isn't broken   I'll give you £10 For that keypad and the ID biscuits 

Ha ha think the biscuits are worth more than that on the black market but will let you know if and when it all gets swapped. 

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

? looks ****** to me...

Yes it is. You got bionic eyes?