Security Installer Community

Help understanding EOL wiring.

Steve23

9 hours ago, Steve23 said:

Thanks I'm starting the understand things now.

I like your explanation it's so simple even I understand it.

Yeah that diagram was what I got sent by someone which confused me as it contradicted everything I'd been reading.

Don't worry I am still confused to this day , but hanging around here keeps my mind boggled proper and helps plenty 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve23 said:

Although the manual does recommend Cat5 cable.

Are you sure? I'd be amazed.

It may mention screened cable for keypads and nodes, but this is still flexible type.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Ah that's a new one, I'm not big on Galaxy/Honeywell, but IIRC they used to recommend screened Belden cable, again only for long-run peripherals.

In fact, using any solid core wiring FOR ALARMS (OBVIOUSLY) is a really bad idea IMHO, from an installer 'boots on the ground' PoV.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

14 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Ah that's a new one, I'm not big on Galaxy/Honeywell, but IIRC they used to recommend screened Belden cable, again only for long-run peripherals.

In fact, using any solid core wiring is a really bad idea IMHO, from an installer 'boots on the ground' PoV.

I've just looked at the old installation manual for the version 1 firmware and it does recommend to use Belden on that one.

So they've changed it for some reason.

On the updated manual it says use Belden if over 100m 

Screenshot_20200204-121353.png

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/8723_techdata.pdf

I suppose you CAN also get certified CAT5/5e in stranded [flexible] (otherwise every patch cable I've ever bought is fraudulently marked up as CAT5/5e/6 compliant*) but the average reader will just assume solid from a box reading that.

Worse yet, most CCA (Copper Coated Aluminium) IS fraudulently marked up as CATX compliant**

*I know a lot actually are, I tend to stick with branded (Belkin) or large distributors own ranges, e.g RS, Nimans, CPC

**CATx standards only allow for pure copper, no CCA product could ever comply.

Anyway, now I'm over complicating things!

Edited by datadiffusion

2 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

In fact, using any solid core wiring is a really bad idea IMHO, from an installer 'boots on the ground' PoV.

Nothing wrong with copper cat5 on data runs why would it snap?

All IT data systems and some very important gear is run this way

But I guess you guys prefer CCA Telco cable lol 

17 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Nothing wrong with copper cat5 on data runs why would it snap?

It wouldn't when all components are designed for cable management e.g. strain relief and IDC type punch down connection.

Alarm components are neither of the above and designed for regular dismantling.

Did I once see an alarm system designed for IDC though? Very surprised that Telecom Security didn't insist on this for their systems,

after all they were as good as proprietry in every other way. I guess in the end though the 'Security' part of BT was very much separate?

And then of course it died anyway so probably for the best it was kept that way. I always thought half the reason BT, British Gas, Anglian etc... got

into alarms was the pre-existing 'multi skilled' (LOL) national field force.

Edited by datadiffusion

3 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

It wouldn't when all components are designed for cable management e.g. strain relief and IDC type punch down connection.

Alarm components are neither of the above and designed for regular dismantling.

Did I once see an alarm system designed for IDC though? Very surprised that Telecom Security didn't insist on this for their systems,

after all they were as good as proprietry in every other way. I guess in the end though the 'Security' part of BT was very much separate?

And then of course it died anyway so probably for the best it was kept that way. I always thought half the reason BT, British Gas, Anglian etc... got

into alarms was the pre-existing 'multi skilled' (LOL) national field force.

Seen plenty on galaxy never seen them snap much, I think it's more to do with who stripped the ends and how much they messed with , agreed bend back and forth enough you can snap them

On refurbs it's detector special when builder cuts your cable and say we ran you a brand new cable , when you look it's a cat5 

Or when they deny cutting cable but 'happy' to pay you to reset alarm they 'didn't set off'

Then when you find 15A terminals stuffed under loft insulation with a discarded packet opposite with 'Plumbing World' logo on...

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

Or when they deny cutting cable but 'happy' to pay you to reset alarm they 'didn't set off'

Then when you find 15A terminals stuffed under loft insulation with a discarded packet opposite with 'Plumbing World' logo on...

One time we had big fat NVR in the loft space , you know we lashed it in and all that 

Fault comes after bathroom refit , local done refit, but took our power and wired his new lights to it 

Classic was our cable was moved over to the lighting circuit , 

Cool CCTV off in the day comes on at night ......

• Like 1

Once went to service a system that had been put with help from 'a lad who didn't long'.

The actual alarm was OK, but apparently the lad didn't do a lot.

What he did do was the mains feed in the cupboard.

Which explains why, not very often, this barely used cupboard (big old house mind, I think it was a fully loaded Gardtec 840) seemed to cause an brief AC fault on the system.

Muppet had wired it parallel to the cord switch.

With the low demand on the alarm, and an old fashioned lamp providing a high resistance (but just enough) path to N, it was 'OK' when the lamp was off!!

• 2 weeks later...