Security Installer Community

New home, old alarm

GregT

8 minutes ago, GregT said:

I haven't bought the battery just yet

get a dog instead, you'll make new friends whilst wondering around with a plastic bag of dog shit in your pocket....

8 minutes ago, GregT said:

A basic question I am sure, but will the main external bell also have a battery in it? If so, I guess I need to get up there and see what battery it is to replace that too. 

ni-cad, just buy a complete sounder (or a dog)

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

1 hour ago, GregT said:

Hi

I haven't bought the battery just yet but was just thinking things through.A basic question I am sure, but will the main external bell also have a battery in it? If so, I guess I need to get up there and see what battery it is to replace that too. 

The backup batter in the main panel is marked as having been installed in 2005!

Is bell high up?

What do you do for a living ?

Mr Happy - A dog might be an easier option you're right! 

Al-yeti - Not too high, I think I can access from the window

Do I need to replace the  external sounder battery, assuming

(a) it does use a battery

(b) I am happy to dispense with a tamper control for the external sounder

Thanks

1 minute ago, Logan said:

Take a picture of the external sounder because some sounders such as elmdene have non replaceable batterys

Tamper is reccomended on external sounders because if a person who wants to break into your house trys to disable the bell box you want the system to detect it

problem is logon people like ring etc they have no tampers, as above its not deemed important thats why diy stuff doesn't have it

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for the help- much appreciated

My input as a consumer, is that I just really want a deterrent. I have no expensive valuables to protect. And fortunately I have good neighbours. If the bell sounds, that should hopefully alert them. Cant imagine I am wealthy enough to be targeted by a sophisticated crook thats going to climb up to my external bell box. Or maybe I am naive.

2 hours ago, GregT said:

Thanks for the help- much appreciated

My input as a consumer, is that I just really want a deterrent. I have no expensive valuables to protect. And fortunately I have good neighbours. If the bell sounds, that should hopefully alert them. Cant imagine I am wealthy enough to be targeted by a sophisticated crook thats going to climb up to my external bell box. Or maybe I am naive.

Deterrent?

Professional dummy box like a ADT box off eBay probably be better than what your trying to do, no offence intended 

Forget the dog buy the box and then play around with the alarm for the next 6months while ADT box is up there , get flasher unit with it if you can 

Edited by al-yeti