Security Installer Community

Tablet/Pc for designs and quotes?

skywalker

hello again everyone! I'm just wandering what you all use for doing quotes and designs? 
our jobs are getting a little too big to continue scribbling on the back of fag packets and i'd like a tablet so, for example, i could take an ariel view from google maps and draw on it there and then - bonus points if i can then attach a keyboard to make it become a laptop for office work.

I've been considering the surface pro but looking online, a lot of people suggest against windows due to it being sluggish and lack of apps etc (although it would be very useful for configuring CCTV, alarms, etc) i'd like opinions and suggestions from people who've used various products.

an ideal advantage would be to use the tablet in the van for maps, calendar, spotify etc which points me once again towards android.

The ipad also looks good but i generally try to avoid apple as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Surface may make sense if you want full desktop experience there's also 2in1 Dells. It will all come down to what software you want to use IMO.

More of a clipboard and quote book person myself but that's down to what you want to achieve.

Remember think of computers/tablets as tools if it doesn't benefit your workflow and productivity, it may not be the right solution.

31 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Surface may make sense if you want full desktop experience there's also 2in1 Dells. It will all come down to what software you want to use IMO.

More of a clipboard and quote book person myself but that's down to what you want to achieve.

Remember think of computers/tablets as tools if it doesn't benefit your workflow and productivity, it may not be the right solution.

yep, as a tool i think it would be highly useful! i like the idea of having a virtual clipboard with software so i can do the designs there and then! currently i scribble it on paper and then do a 'proper' drawing using google draw on the laptop in the office. it would be nice to do it all whilst walking around site.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

i use a surface book and a galaxy note 9 currently

smaller stuff on the note, more complex on the tablet.

Dont agree about sluggish etc 

To be honest i am leaning more towards a surface. I just don't have any experience with them and I'm worried that the lack of apps may end up being a problem. 

It's a shame it can't dual boot with android. 

2 hours ago, skywalker said:

yep, as a tool i think it would be highly useful! i like the idea of having a virtual clipboard with software so i can do the designs there and then! currently i scribble it on paper and then do a 'proper' drawing using google draw on the laptop in the office. it would be nice to do it all whilst walking around site.

Surface , buy all the bits for it and you need good budget 

I tried a Samsung Tab , gave up and use my head now lol have it to one of the kids to use ( tax perk?)

House bashers R us 

I got pissed of with Lenovo thinkpad's, last 2 broke hinges

I have a toughbook tablet thing but prefer a laptop

Work buys a laptop, it gets used at home for year or so, then goes to work when it gets marked then broken, meh.

There already a replacement machine waiting in the wings...

Mr? Veritas God

10 hours ago, MrHappy said:

I got pissed of with Lenovo thinkpad's, last 2 broke hinges

I love my thinkpad. Shame its not a tablet though. 

Ill look into surface. Seems like it would fit my requirements best. 

Ill probably end up with a second hand ebay special anyway... Don't want to spend more than £500 really. 

The Dell Inspirion 2in1 14" starts at £499, think only the Surface go would be in that price range that's 10".

Personally I would say it's a good time to buy desktop stuff at the moment but that hasn't trickled into the laptop/tablet market yet, if you can hold off a bit you may see prices start to drop and base model specs improve.