Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9751 conversion to Texecom Ricochet/Premier Elite

Jay V

I generally fit Texecom controls and have no issues but I have fitted a lot so know how it works.

Ricochet is stable if installed correctly if not you will have endless issues.

If I where looking at the job I would probably replace each wired sensor with a new wired sensor as you do each room.

It wouldn't matter if the old one ended up, dangling if omitted or programmed out, covered in gunk or whatever in the meantime.

Would take an engineer 30 minutes including drinking a brew and checking over the rest of the system.

If when checking over the system he finds something untoward you will know what the future is for the current system and if it's worth investing in radio or new wiring/panel/bell etc.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you gents, it defo sounds like the wired is the best option for a better connection, I was under the assumption the Ricochet had a mesh like network so the wireless devices can extend the signal just in case the panel is too far away. My home is not massive but it is slightly larger than an average 3 bed house, so if radio transmission is iffy, then i rather not take the risk or having to invest in several repeaters/extenders to boost the signal. 

On the basis that the whole system is wired, would it be safe to say my current wiring will be good enough to support a new system like Premier Elite? 

Running new wires can be done but its a long process as the original installer has run the cables in such a strange manner that the old cables can not be pulled through and i would need to lift floor boards in every room upstairs (all new wooden floor was installed some years so its not a quick job) and create a new route through the joists. 

I don’t mind paying someone to install say the Premier Elite but it would be good to know if the old cables can be used or not so I know what prep work i have get done before the engineer can do the install. 

1 hour ago, Jay V said:

Thank you gents, it defo sounds like the wired is the best option for a better connection, I was under the assumption the Ricochet had a mesh like network so the wireless devices can extend the signal just in case the panel is too far away. My home is not massive but it is slightly larger than an average 3 bed house, so if radio transmission is iffy, then i rather not take the risk or having to invest in several repeaters/extenders to boost the signal. 

On the basis that the whole system is wired, would it be safe to say my current wiring will be good enough to support a new system like Premier Elite? 

Running new wires can be done but its a long process as the original installer has run the cables in such a strange manner that the old cables can not be pulled through and i would need to lift floor boards in every room upstairs (all new wooden floor was installed some years so its not a quick job) and create a new route through the joists. 

I don’t mind paying someone to install say the Premier Elite but it would be good to know if the old cables can be used or not so I know what prep work i have get done before the engineer can do the install. 

Wired yes , but a panel that supports wireless is best 

Ok brilliant, thank you both for your input. Few questions on sound equipment, I have been told The Texecom 64w has a internal speaker, is this just good for chimes or can it be used as internal sounder? or is a seperate sounder recommended?  Also if I get a Texecom box which does not have an internal sounder which sounder is recommended? Will the sounder sit inside the panel, as for example, the Kinetic Twin Peizo Sound bomb looks a bit a ugly/unprotected to be sitting by itself exposed so assuming it goes inside the panel?

Many thanks in advance.

50 minutes ago, Jay V said:

Ok brilliant, thank you both for your input. Few questions on sound equipment, I have been told The Texecom 64w has a internal speaker, is this just good for chimes or can it be used as internal sounder? or is a seperate sounder recommended?  Also if I get a Texecom box which does not have an internal sounder which sounder is recommended? Will the sounder sit inside the panel, as for example, the Kinetic Twin Peizo Sound bomb looks a bit a ugly/unprotected to be sitting by itself exposed so assuming it goes inside the panel?

Many thanks in advance.

Internal Sounders better to fit separately imo , out of reach ,and o e right outside your bed room 

When it goes off , you jump out of bed like a lunatic and the kids needs a nappy change 

I would recommend to ditch the internal speaker and use an extension speaker (loads of different styles - 16ohm) in a central area preferably on the entry route. Don't use a sound bomb!

Volumes can be programmed via the panel,

Also if your definite on this new Texecom system fit the wired version you could always add wireless module after if you wish.

Thanks for the comments on the sounder and also the note on the volume control, after doing some calculations and considering the system generally should be low maintenance, I think I will opt for wired and wireless expander. Do the Texecom panels come with majority wired and a wireless module combined or am I looking at two separate units?

Many thanks.