Security Installer Community

Replace outside alarm battery Odyssey 1E - Texecom

2 hours ago, John McLean said:

How to replace the battery for a Texecom, Odyssey 1E?, the existing one seems to be held in place - but how?

Jaymack

Replace cover while your at it if it doesn't clean up well , but as swb says , battery cheap to replace 

Chop that bad boy out and put a new battery in if your capable

Thanks for the help, it's difficult to see how the battery is fixed to the casing, when standing on a ladder 5 metres above the ground - 1 hand for me and the other for working. I'll use a screwdriver to prise it off since it appears to be simply stuck on and no help notice. What is worse, that not being left handed, the right hand is for holding on and the useless mitt is the left hand for working on. Why there is no space at the left hand side for ladder access ,is probably because it was installed by a left handed installer. :realmad: I now have replacements for both 9 year old batteries. These alarm boxes needn't be mounted so high, I think that 3m is high enough.  

Jaymack  

Edited by John McLean
Grammar

3 hours ago, John McLean said:

Thanks for the help, it's difficult to see how the battery is fixed to the casing, when standing on a ladder 5 metres above the ground - 1 hand for me and the other for working. I'll use a screwdriver to prise it off since it appears to be simply stuck on and no help notice. What is worse, that not being left handed, the right hand is for holding on and the useless mitt is the left hand for working on. Why there is no space at the left hand side for ladder access ,is probably because it was installed by a left handed installer. :realmad: I now have replacements for both 9 year old batteries. These alarm boxes needn't be mounted so high, I think that 3m is high enough.  

Jaymack  

Yes there are some right Muppets when installing bells

Then customers become Muppets aswell when they want it high like the Muppet neighbours 

External bell boxes mostly ignored when they gain access from rear and no internal sounder fitted ......

22 minutes ago, Logan said:

The highest i will be willing to install a bell box is 2 floors.  I use twin piezo sound bomb for interiors 

Just make sure your insurance covers you for the height....

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

What really pisses me off is when they put bells above ground floor bay window roof, especially when they had the pick of the whole front and it would have looked BETTER elsewhere

I think it's a question of the basic intelligence of those at the coal face, there is a need to think about the consequences - a "what if" analysis, although we are not all born equal as far as grey matter is concerned.

Jaymack  

On 15/01/2020 at 12:13, John McLean said:

Jaymack  

the recommenced minimum height is 3m ?

having to stand on a leaded bay was not uncommon

image.png.3d165f215b67f2e6b65c5d4fc5194003.png

however-

image.png.f909b47a4f92dbc1ca234ce1140849bd.png

working on this can't ready be done safety off a ladder?

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, John McLean said:

I think it's a question of the basic intelligence of those at the coal face, there is a need to think about the consequences - a "what if" analysis, although we are not all born equal as far as grey matter is concerned.

Jaymack  

What gets me is how some of them managed to get it up there in the first place! Especially as the rest of the job always seems chucked in the easiest way, e.g. PIRS back to back, facing windows etc etc

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

What gets me is how some of them managed to get it up there in the first place! Especially as the rest of the job always seems chucked in the easiest way, e.g. PIRS back to back, facing windows etc etc

Allot of them go up at refurbs , scaffolding around building on original install 

Most of the houses aren't that old, more like Pic 3 above, but yeah one I did just before Xmas I was lucky it was proper coastal and oh so quickly painting (e.g. Scaffolding) time again, or I would have probably just had to leave it.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

22 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

2005ish we did some flats you won't be replacing a 2nd floor ewd of a ladder...

My person fav was end stations needing a triple ladder for access !

An acquisition in my area had a penchant for putting end stations in stupid places and they did some car dealerships where you needed triples on the slippery floor for then. 

This is one of their ewd's installed from the window. (relocated by me below) 

Screenshot_20200120-211952_Maps.thumb.jpg.4ad9b29fb5183172fd7c3e434e6f0702.jpg

Just round the corner was an original ADT CQR, again in a stupid place, but it was the lowest they could get in the circumstances I guess (ignore the mincer) 

Screenshot_20200120-212119_Maps.thumb.jpg.9b16a32f12c41e11f1f6b297d050b6b6.jpg

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.