Security Installer Community

Replacing Home Alarm System

As I mentioned in my original post, everybody would use a different manufacturer for different reasons.

As a DIYer your going to get limited support, no matter what product you get, many come without installation manuals as they are aimed at trade only.

While we are all chipping in I'd fit an Elite 48 with whatever extra modules you need, in fact did exactly that last week 9800 for a PE48.

The cab is 3inch taller and half inch wider, so fitted great over the hole in the plaster where the 9800 cab came out, if that's a concern.

As for the wireless side, one way means the detectors spam a messages to the panel in the hope they are received.

Two way each message is confirmed to be received between the detector and the panel.

Texecom is mesh which is two way with the added benefit of messages can be send via other detectors.

Battery life is the main reason for two way wireless, but there are benefits to two way comms they are more secure when it coms to jamming,  the panel polls the detector instead of the other way around, diagnostics like range ect, you can put the detectors in walk test mode from the panel just to name a few.  

I use Alexa for home automation, I have given much thought to using Alexa to arm and disarm, she recognises my voice over others in my family. I may use her to part set arm only but at the moment not disarm.

I have been experimenting with wireless locks (not for home) and part of that I have purchased some of these cheap wireless locks to take apart and redevelop. One of them came with an App that has an Alexa skill, I thought well it may be useful so I tried it. To use it you tell Alexa to unlock the door, Alexa then asks you for a code, you say the code and the door unlocked. So anyone in earshot can here the code and unlock the door, not so secure. 

I do use my alarm to switch on various outputs though, when the alarm is armed all the lights in the house and outbuildings are switched off, when I come in the hall light  comes on so I can find the keypad, when my system is armed fully my heating switched off I can override this function if I am just poping out for ten mins

You can integrate your CCTV to your intruder app, but I haven t bothered my CCTV app already tells me what I need to know, I dont mean it lets me know if something is moving in my garden trees are always blowing around why do I need to know that? it tells me in a person size object (not next doors cat) is approaching the house, it alerts me before the intruder so no need to integrate.