Security Installer Community

Replacing Home Alarm System

17 hours ago, norman said:

I did have the heating linked to the alarm years ago but this overrides the frost protection so I dissed it and just use the nest jobby. 

We have that now using Nest, Fibaro, and IFFT, bit of a kludge but it works and is a one way path, there is no interaction with the alarm other than Norm style physical 'alarm is set' relay telling Fibaro home centre.

I'm not big on the blinds thing but for the main lounge (which also will suffer from too much sunlight in the summer anyway) I will have auto curtains on the french windows and auto roller blind the opposite end where the sun is worst.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

17 hours ago, norman said:

I did have the heating linked to the alarm years ago but this overrides the frost protection so I dissed it and just use the nest jobby. 

? You set it up wrong I would say 

Housebashers know better 

41 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

We have that now

Ditto, Nest only does it fine

24 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

? You set it up wrong I would say 

How wold you have done it in 1995?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/01/2020 at 12:06, datadiffusion said:

Given your existing panel, I would recommend the 40H too, although I am obvioiusly slightly biased!

You can retain the non-EOL CC+T 4 wire config on the 40H by adding a plug in circuit board, if you need any more than 10 zones, you can add an expander,

these support 4 wire natively (as well as EOL).

There are many here though, myself included, to a point, that would never use the wireless capability of the ion though as it is 1 way only at this time.

The app for the ion is free with no connection or sub charges, which is nice, and it's a really easy to use & install panel.

FYI, I opted for the ION40H and am please with the product and functionality and always looking to incorporate additional features.

One thing that is bugging me is in the web client, the panel shows as 'Untitled' although on my app it shows as the reference I have given it; can anyone advise if the web client name can be changed/updated?

image.png.00b6e5d333443e4cf073e6394121807e.png

Many thanks.

• 9 months later...

Hi, Mark! I see a guy recommended you to consider a DIY variant. But I would never advise using such kinds of systems now. Well, they were quite worthy several decades ago when robbers did not know how to hack them. Now It's quite simple to do that using any YouTube video. That's why better to invest money in the future and choose a professional home alarm system. Ajax has a variety of unique devices. You can take a look at their catalog and choose what you need. I use their motion cam and smart door locks.

1 hour ago, ZaborPT said:

That's why better to invest money in the future and choose a professional home alarm system.

Cant agree more, but then you go on to mention a wireless system thats place on a coffee table and not screwed to the wall, i woudnt consider that a professional system.

Ajax has a variety of unique devices. You can take a look at their catalog and choose what you need. I use their motion cam and smart door locks.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I think that time is changing. I don't think ajax is a professional system for the same reasons I don't think ring is. However 'if' it meets the standards then it could be installed by pros and diy alike. There should be a system standard for 50131 rather than just components 

As I've had this previously this is my opinion not a statement of fact or non approval

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

5 hours ago, ZaborPT said:

Hi, Mark! I see a guy recommended you to consider a DIY variant. But I would never advise using such kinds of systems now. Well, they were quite worthy several decades ago when robbers did not know how to hack them. Now It's quite simple to do that using any YouTube video. That's why better to invest money in the future and choose a professional home alarm system. Ajax has a variety of unique devices. You can take a look at their catalog and choose what you need. I use their motion cam and smart door locks.

Your just advertising Ajax , lol be serious and upfront