Security Installer Community

Replacing Home Alarm System

I am looking to replace my existing wired home alarm system.

The existing wiring is fine and have PIRs in each room which I would like to re-utilise if possible; the wiring all goes back to a central point, but would also like to add additional components although due to required cable routes would prefer to do wirelessly and would therefore need a 'hybrid' system capable of accepting both wired and wireless components.

A wireless access panel would be preferable.

Other functionality that would also be preferable would be integration into other systems associated with home automation such as Google/Alexa, plus CCTV etc.

Are there any recommended modular systems that are capable of this?

Many thanks.

This type of question has been covered many times over the last few years.

Have a look at some of the pinned topics in the DIY section, for starters.

You firstly need to decide if you need an installer or if you are doing the job DIY,.

Keep in mind an installer will have you up and running in about a day whereas DIY you may have months of trial and error it depends how much you value your time and your skillset.

Hybrid panels are common, for which manufacturer everyone has a different opinion.

As for your other functionality, I don't see a need in integration with smart speakers, bear in mind your system will only be as secure as it's weakest component.

CCTV would normally be installed as a separate system for redundancy, however you can get systems that are intruder with camera but they will be limited in functionality and positioning.

Like it or not it sounds as if E aton have something brewing with HA integration, above and beyond the usual '3rd parties please write to us if you want to integrate' type position.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

3 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Like it or not it sounds as if E aton have something brewing with HA integration, above and beyond the usual '3rd parties please write to us if you want to integrate' type position.

You on crack?

They already doing ha 

How do you mean?

I know years ago they took over Xanex or whatever they were called who had a slightly enhanced proprietry version of X10, but that product line I assume is well dead and buried.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

13 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

How do you mean?

I know years ago they took over Xanex or whatever they were called who had a slightly enhanced proprietry version of X10, but that product line I assume is well dead and buried.

So why E aton show ha online 

I don't really know lol I was looking at stuff like 

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/wiring-devices-and-connectivity/home-automation-hub.html

But I suppose you mean something else

Edited by datadiffusion

1 hour ago, Mark Hennessy said:

The panel I have is a Scantronic 9800+ (16 zone) with a 9827 keypad.

So you going to DIY or self install

DIY - scanny ion 40 might be best as texe more confusion for DIY although they give phone support for DIY 

2 hours ago, Mark Hennessy said:

The panel I have is a Scantronic 9800+ (16 zone) with a 9827 keypad.

Given your existing panel, I would recommend the 40H too, although I am obvioiusly slightly biased!

You can retain the non-EOL CC+T 4 wire config on the 40H by adding a plug in circuit board, if you need any more than 10 zones, you can add an expander,

these support 4 wire natively (as well as EOL).

There are many here though, myself included, to a point, that would never use the wireless capability of the ion though as it is 1 way only at this time.

The app for the ion is free with no connection or sub charges, which is nice, and it's a really easy to use & install panel.

6 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Given your existing panel, I would recommend the 40H too, although I am obvioiusly slightly biased!

You can retain the non-EOL CC+T 4 wire config on the 40H by adding a plug in circuit board, if you need any more than 10 zones, you can add an expander,

these support 4 wire natively (as well as EOL).

There are many here though, myself included, to a point, that would never use the wireless capability of the ion though as it is 1 way only at this time.

The app for the ion is free with no connection or sub charges, which is nice, and it's a really easy to use & install panel.

Thanks for the feedback.

For any wireless device, it shall mainly relate to door contacts.

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

So you going to DIY or self install

DIY - scanny ion 40 might be best as texe more confusion for DIY although they give phone support for DIY 

I shall be DIY

As I mentioned in my original post, everybody would use a different manufacturer for different reasons.

As a DIYer your going to get limited support, no matter what product you get, many come without installation manuals as they are aimed at trade only.

While we are all chipping in I'd fit an Elite 48 with whatever extra modules you need, in fact did exactly that last week 9800 for a PE48.

The cab is 3inch taller and half inch wider, so fitted great over the hole in the plaster where the 9800 cab came out, if that's a concern.

As for the wireless side, one way means the detectors spam a messages to the panel in the hope they are received.

Two way each message is confirmed to be received between the detector and the panel.

Texecom is mesh which is two way with the added benefit of messages can be send via other detectors.

I am not too happy with the 1-way situation, however, I do mitigate it by keeping my use down to 'additonal' type detection such as wireless vibes on windows and the odd 'extra' door contact

Battery life is the main reason for two way wireless, but there are benefits to two way comms they are more secure when it coms to jamming,  the panel polls the detector instead of the other way around, diagnostics like range ect, you can put the detectors in walk test mode from the panel just to name a few.  

I use Alexa for home automation, I have given much thought to using Alexa to arm and disarm, she recognises my voice over others in my family. I may use her to part set arm only but at the moment not disarm.

I have been experimenting with wireless locks (not for home) and part of that I have purchased some of these cheap wireless locks to take apart and redevelop. One of them came with an App that has an Alexa skill, I thought well it may be useful so I tried it. To use it you tell Alexa to unlock the door, Alexa then asks you for a code, you say the code and the door unlocked. So anyone in earshot can here the code and unlock the door, not so secure. 

I do use my alarm to switch on various outputs though, when the alarm is armed all the lights in the house and outbuildings are switched off, when I come in the hall light  comes on so I can find the keypad, when my system is armed fully my heating switched off I can override this function if I am just poping out for ten mins

You can integrate your CCTV to your intruder app, but I haven t bothered my CCTV app already tells me what I need to know, I dont mean it lets me know if something is moving in my garden trees are always blowing around why do I need to know that? it tells me in a person size object (not next doors cat) is approaching the house, it alerts me before the intruder so no need to integrate. 

4 minutes ago, norman said:

I did have the heating linked to the alarm years ago but this overrides the frost protection so I dissed it and just use the nest jobby. 

I use RF lightwave you can more or less instruct it to do whatever you need using IFTTT Frost protection is never overridden 

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I use RF lightwave you can more or less instruct it to do whatever you need using IFTTT Frost protection is never overridden 

I use ifttt but this was prior to it and pretty dumb really on the galaxy, just an octal relay wired to full set iirc. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

54 minutes ago, norman said:

I use ifttt but this was prior to it and pretty dumb really on the galaxy, just an octal relay wired to full set iirc. 

My last house I had lights curtains and heating connected to my G500, it used to open and close the curtains switch lights on and off and control the heating on a timer along witha separate digital temperature thermostat. You could do anything the the outputs combined with JK flipflop and a few erl timer relays. My remote app was Galaxy gold back then, I used to have to stop the car,  connect my lappy to my phone physically and log into my alarm in order to switch the heating on on the way home. 

7 minutes ago, Logan said:

I think the 9800 was kind of a dumb design using 2 7 segment displays like the 9100 from the late 80s.

Compared to the 9600 and 9500 that uses a lcd screen 

Still want a 9500 lol

The 9800 was cheaper, a lot of people think an alarm is an alarm ie all the same so buy the cheapest

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

12 minutes ago, Logan said:

I think the 9800 was kind of a dumb design using 2 7 segment displays like the 9100 from the late 80s.

the 9800 was in the market place in the late 1980's.... rkp, digi footprint, priner outputs...

30 odd years later-

41C6VLzcB-L._SX355_.jpg

this sort of tat still selling well.

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God