Security Installer Community

Ring

al-yeti

18 minutes ago, Logan said:

??? DataDiffusion why do you confuse me so much 

That's my day job.

4 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I've had a few customers asking for robin b'astard ?

I guess you do what you can for them?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

9 hours ago, al-yeti said:

He's a newbie housebasher

I have every respect for him that he is trying to learn off his own back, but the regs are there for a reason (Mainly Safety) and if he is learning how to do stuff then he should find out how to do it properly. Otherwise he will be just like those other idiots out there that saw a picture of a burglar alarm and now think they are an experienced installer. Mains should be segregated from low voltage cables, not just for safety but to stop ac noise getting onto the low voltage circuits. If you dont point these things out how is somebody supposed to learn.

I think Pete is right its the little things that make the difference between Johnny Average and a decent installer, I was lucky and, the thing is (and this is why I LOL at the whole 'part time ambo driver' slur)

is that for many years, long before I knew anything about ambulances other than you can help yourself to cool drugs and use the blue lights to get between McDonalds branches

getting free coffee in the lonely hours between massive car crash jobs, I spent years post C+G exams as a contractor* for a very decent, well respected, do-it-by-the-book firm and

learnt just as much from that as on my own, before then, sure I had passed my exams and did rewire a few houses, but stuff you learn on the job like doing conduit neatly and properly, MICC termination,

the difference between scruffy junction boxes and doing it right, you don't get taught that at college, and other more complex stuff, I don't know like all the peculiar rules around

earthing at special locations that kind of thing. Of course, follow the wrong firm and you'll likely pick up really bad habits, but I was lucky, without that, yes I'd probably convince myself I was as good

as anyone else, but I wouldn't really be in the position to tell. After all, if I'd only seen the shiite work we used to encounter without having done it properly myself, I'd probably just assume the shiite was normal!

*I should say a contractor with only about 5-6 people on the books, 3 of them directly employed, so we often worked together as a team so that made all the difference for picking stuff up...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, Logan said:

ALSO KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ONLY FOR FUN

No such thing when you're playing with 240V TBF, temporary, maybe, but a lashup is a lashup - it only takes one fire or one electrocution.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

I dont think the system would even be compliment as im using the old colour code cable

Perhaps not but it could at least be safe. IIRC there is no stipulation for core colours on 24V (or any other SELV) fire circuits, someone tell me I'm wrong mind ;) 

Edited by datadiffusion

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

No such thing when you're playing with 240V TBF, temporary, maybe, but a lashup is a lashup - it only takes one fire or one electrocution.

Perhaps not but it could at least be safe. IIRC there is no stipulation for core colours on 24V (or any other SELV) fire circuits, someone tell me I'm wrong mind ;) 

How often you find a loose neutral? Weird init