Security Installer Community

Understanding GD addresses.

Gordon Smith

Hello,

I'm just wondering about the amount of hardware you can add to a GD-C048 with the available address line.

The instructions say I can have 8 keypads (3 prox), 4 RIOs and 4 RF RIOs

It seems you can add lots of stuff but much of it is limited by the rotary address switches and there appears to be some overlap.

Is a keypad on address 2 the same as a RIO on address 2?

Basically, I have 3 keypads, 0,1 and 2, along with 3 RIOs and 1 RF RIO which must take addresses 2-5 which means, if they work as the same address, then one must overlap with a keypad, also the RF RIO tried to take up 2 bunches of addresses and in fact keeps appearing as 102x and 103x no matter what I set its switch to be, and why is there a gap between 5-B which I can't seem to use.

In short, do I need a 96 or above to run 1xTC(prox), 1xMK7(prox), 1xMK8(prox), 3xRIO, 1xRF RIO? It all gets a bit confusing :)

Cheers,

Gordon.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Smith said:

In short, do I need a 96 or above to run 1xTC(prox), 1xMK7(prox), 1xMK8(prox), 3xRIO, 1xRF RIO? It all gets a bit confusing :)

Cheers,

Gordon.

No the 48 would work , sure experts might agree 

But if it was choice I would buy the 96 anyway , depending where and how you buy it , not much in the price

The addresses for each device type map to different addresses on the rs485 bus. So keypad at 0 and Rio at 0 have different addresses on the bus, so don't clash.

The RF portal rotary address is not the virtual Rio addresses that run at 102/103. You can disable or change the virtual Rio addresses in the RF portal menu.

23 hours ago, al-yeti said:

No the 48 would work , sure experts might agree 

But if it was choice I would buy the 96 anyway , depending where and how you buy it , not much in the price

Thanks,

I've got my eye on a couple of PCBs on the bay which might go for a few pennies or there is a guy in Glasgow selling full new ADT 96s for £50, pretty sure there's not too much difference in the ADT version.

Gordon.

23 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

The addresses for each device type map to different addresses on the rs485 bus. So keypad at 0 and Rio at 0 have different addresses on the bus, so don't clash.

The RF portal rotary address is not the virtual Rio addresses that run at 102/103. You can disable or change the virtual Rio addresses in the RF portal menu.

Thanks GG looks like I need to do a bit of digging in the menus, I shouldn't need 16 RF addresses anyway as most stuff is wired.

Might get somewhere now :)

Gordon.

On 12/12/2019 at 18:57, GalaxyGuy said:

Got gd96 for sale I know a man who wants one

4 hours ago, Gordon Smith said:

Thanks,

I've got my eye on a couple of PCBs on the bay which might go for a few pennies or there is a guy in Glasgow selling full new ADT 96s for £50, pretty sure there's not too much difference in the ADT version.

Gordon.

Careful tho many with faults if your buying off eBay or something , test it well , see what firmware version it has , somewhere firmwares like 7 and others were revised quite quickly due to bugs 

23 hours ago, norman said:

Apart from the ADT one will most likely be stolen, ironic really. 

Wow, I know ebay might have some shady characters but I never imagined this sort of gear would be dodgy.

It's the ADT one which is new, I would have hoped the 2nd hand PCBs would have come from upgrades or new alarm co. taking over and installing their own stuff.

Strewth :)

19 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Careful tho many with faults if your buying off eBay or something , test it well , see what firmware version it has , somewhere firmwares like 7 and others were revised quite quickly due to bugs 

My C048 is V6.93, one of the boards I noticed was 7.03, others don't specify.

Once I get a chance to re-jig the addresses then if I can get the current system to work with the above RIOs then I would imagine I should have all the capacity I need, I have no end of inputs spare but the outputs are the problem, especially the RIO ones which are remote to the house.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Gordon Smith said:

Wow, I know ebay might have some shady characters but I never imagined this sort of gear would be dodgy.

It's the ADT one which is new, I would have hoped the 2nd hand PCBs would have come from upgrades or new alarm co. taking over and installing their own stuff.

Strewth :)

Mostly off the back of a van excess stock , ADT can't control there stock....

On 12/12/2019 at 18:37, Gordon Smith said:

Hello,

I'm just wondering about the amount of hardware you can add to a GD-C048 with the available address line.

The instructions say I can have 8 keypads (3 prox), 4 RIOs and 4 RF RIOs

It seems you can add lots of stuff but much of it is limited by the rotary address switches and there appears to be some overlap.

Is a keypad on address 2 the same as a RIO on address 2?

Basically, I have 3 keypads, 0,1 and 2, along with 3 RIOs and 1 RF RIO which must take addresses 2-5 which means, if they work as the same address, then one must overlap with a keypad, also the RF RIO tried to take up 2 bunches of addresses and in fact keeps appearing as 102x and 103x no matter what I set its switch to be, and why is there a gap between 5-B which I can't seem to use.

Cheers,

Gordon.

22F1DB42-CBA0-4740-9B86-E8F6EA18274D.jpeg

They could if they wanted, they could also audit parts as every part booked out (excluding consumables) has to be attributed to a contract number. 

In the grand scheme of things it's not seen as an issue. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

13 hours ago, norman said:

They could if they wanted, they could also audit parts as every part booked out (excluding consumables) has to be attributed to a contract number. 

probably some kit gets booked to the site but never fitted  ?

programming fault rather than hardware issue...

Mr? Veritas God

Oh yes it's easily circumnavigated, but it all depends on how far you want to audit, i.e. checking the site for the part supposedly installed etc. Tyco used to have an investigation dept that looked at things like theft and fraud. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

Tyco used to have an investigation dept that looked at things like theft and fraud

Had the best ever xmas parties, annual training away weeks in Magaluf, always paid by paypal...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands