Security Installer Community

new alarm system- not DIY

Hi,

We would like a professionally installed alarm system and have therefore contacted a local NACOSS installer, this company has been in business since the mid 80s and has a small high street shop. Their surveyor came last night and recommended a Risco Agility 4 system, they have a package that we could upgrade from so the PIRs could have a camera etc...

We have a 1930s 3-bed semi, with a new extension at the rear, the surveyor recommended a PIR for the front room, one for the hall, one for the landing, one for the open-plan extension and a front door contact. There are other low-value (utility) rooms downstairs, that would be covered by the hallway PIR etc. That all sounded sensible. He said it's a small system.

My question, Risco gets a lot of bad press here, is it just a case of everyone has their preferred hardware and one bad experience with a supplier is enough to put you off? Is this historic dislike and once bitten twice shy and happy with the competition.

I'm quite happy to pay for a 'better' system, but would like to understand the lack of love towards Risco Agility. I'm open to a hybrid system, it doesn't all have to be wireless. A quick google and most of the local installers, are offering Risco before anything else.

I am based in the KT area.

Many thanks for any advice or help given.

Dv

There are a lot off installers that install Risco and I used to until I switched to Orisec and use some Texecom.

The Agility 4 is a good panel but it has to be set up correctly. I am not saying that the company will not do this but I have been called out to Agility and Lightsys systems where a few adjustments in programming etc have made a difference.

Their door contacts/shock sensors are to big which look ugly on doors/windows.

Edited by Hillbilly

All the advise above regarding positioning seems very sensible hard to say from not seeing the property.

Yes it is true that Risco doesn't get a lot of love from many installers here and you are correct that everyone had there preferred hardware, there are many reasons that contribute for this, every company is different.

Generally I would say that Risco is like Marmite. Some places it's all they fit. I personally avoid the stuff, they can be a headache to program, missing some features for me and contacting Risco directly for parts which can be an issue if urgent.

One positive with the Risco gear is they use the same batteries throughout, although this does mean chunky contacts as above.

I personally lean towards fitting hybrid systems with a wired bellbox and wire as much as I can but again this is just a preference.

As a end user you should consider the alarm as a service not a product, the system will need maintenance. You need to be comfortable with the company, the product should be less of a consideration in this scenario.

Asking a company to fit something else will only lead to a headache they may not be trained on it for example.

I would say the general advise here is get at least 3 quotes, consider all there points and go with the company you feel most comfortable with, not just the cheapest.

If you are still most comfortable with the company above then it's the right way forward for you.

Thank you for your answers and points. I will visit the store to see the size of the contacts.

I did like the surveyors attitude towards maintenance and the lack of pressure selling.

One hopes that as the Agility is their recommendation, that they would be able to program the panel well. I agree that I'd rather have some use a piece of kit that they are familiar and well-versed in, rather than trying this out on us.

Many thanks

Dv

As above I am no massive fan of the current Risco kit, despite being brought up on the company they took over's kit .

But if you've got a good installer I agree see it as a service and the brand should be almost irrelevant. Let's put it this way, there is

kit that people don't tend to go a bundle on, for various reasons, and terrible kit to always totally avoid, and Risco definately isn't in the terrible bin.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

11 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Generally I would say that Risco is like Marmite. Some places it's all they fit. I personally avoid the stuff, they can be a headache to program, missing some

I would say the general advise here is get at least 3 quotes, consider all there points and go with the company you feel most comfortable with, not just the cheapest.

If you are still most comfortable with the company above then it's the right way forward for you.

QFA stolen my motto

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
dox