Security Installer Community

BT disconnected speech dialler.

Hi guys a bit of background.

Got sent to a bowls clubs a few months ago to replace a Digi with a speech dialler as they don't want to pay the monitoring anymore and nothing valuable in there anyway. No problem is fitted the speech dialler and used the phone line supplying the digi for the dialler. 

I've now get a job on my diary next week saying that a BT engineer has disconnected the phone line for the dialler saying its not compliant due to "star wiring".

Anyone know what he's on about?? The wiring itself was likely installed about 20 years ago by a long retired engineer... Its never been picked up before. 

Most likely they have had a broadband issue since your last visit, star wiring is considered an issue that contributes to interference on the line and poor internet speeds.

Generally when this comes to alarms it's because the line has been taken from a spur/star before the line reaches the master socket NTE5.

This was never an issue years ago and line engineers would happily spur a line, so it maybe nothing to do with your connection but further within the phone extensions wiring.

You will have to work out the layout of the phone lines and where they come from, then how to make sure everything is supplied from the master socket and filtered correctly.

This will also depends on which type of master socket you have and the layout of the wiring.

If you don't want to get involved, best to tell the customer you need a compatible block terminal fitted adjacent the alarm panel.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Most likely they have had a broadband issue since your last visit, star wiring is considered an issue that contributes to interference on the line and poor internet speeds.

Generally when this comes to alarms it's because the line has been taken from a spur/star before the line reaches the master socket NTE5.

This was never an issue years ago and line engineers would happily spur a line, so it maybe nothing to do with your connection but further within the phone extensions wiring.

You will have to work out the layout of the phone lines and where they come from, then how to make sure everything is supplied from the master socket and filtered correctly.

This will also depends on which type of master socket you have and the layout of the wiring.

If you don't want to get involved, best to tell the customer you need a compatible block terminal fitted adjacent the alarm panel.

Had this a little while ago , again it was broadband issue , only difference I knew when engineer was coming , met him on site and he actually helped reconfigure wiring until his tester was happy end of story 

But what swb said is spot on

• Thanks 1

I also had this once except this was an 'engineer' early VDSL BB install (I don't think they do these now for VDSL).

In anticipation of VDSL I had privately obtained the latest type of official OpenReach filter.

I wired the customers modem/router directly via the unfiltered block in the NTE and the then-PTSN Webway and phone to the filtered part.

F**kwit engineer comes along, disconnects all wiring punched down at NTE, tells customer they need to move phone and DSL to lobby.

Webway PTSN goes down, I get called out to find the above :banghead:

Reverted to how it was and never had an issue since. Well, WW PTSN long gone now but broadband is fine :)

Edited by datadiffusion
  • Like 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands