Security Installer Community

Is it possible to upgrade my alarm system to make it 'smart'?

DaveDave

Hi all, apologies if this is in anyway a stupid question but I could very much use some expert advice with this please!

Essentially, I moved into a new-build property a couple of years ago and it has what I believe to be the 'Scantronic 9751' alarm system installed. Is there a way this can be upgraded to make it more 'smart' and/or connected? Ideally I'd like to be able to remotely monitor it, and use the motion sensors that are in each room in a more intelligent way (i.e. connecting to Alexa/Hue/Google/Homekit/Smartthings etc.).

Presumably I'll have to replace the 9751 itself (which is fine) but just unsure if there's something I can purchase that'll allow me to use the motion sensors in this way, as I'd rather not have to buy a load of new ones if I can avoid it! 

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, DaveDave said:

Hi all, apologies if this is in anyway a stupid question but I could very much use some expert advice with this please!

Essentially, I moved into a new-build property a couple of years ago and it has what I believe to be the 'Scantronic 9751' alarm system installed. Is there a way this can be upgraded to make it more 'smart' and/or connected? Ideally I'd like to be able to remotely monitor it, and use the motion sensors that are in each room in a more intelligent way (i.e. connecting to Alexa/Hue/Google/Homekit/Smartthings etc.).

Presumably I'll have to replace the 9751 itself (which is fine) but just unsure if there's something I can purchase that'll allow me to use the motion sensors in this way, as I'd rather not have to buy a load of new ones if I can avoid it! 

Thanks in advance!

You can generally use the existing detectors all round , perhaps a small mods maybe required within each one 

But you can't make the 9571 smarter than it is , definitely will have to change the main control panel and keypads

You planning to DIY it? Not always easy though depends on your skill and which panel you go for as some require an installer for the app systems some don't 

1 minute ago, DaveDave said:

Thanks. I wouldn't be able to do it myself so would need an installer, but more than happy to do that if I know what I need to purchase etc. Happy to change control panel if needed too.

What part of country are you?

What would you want it to do though? It is possible to make anything smarter with Alexa using the right electronics, but I am not so sure that I would want her to disarm my alarm via voice just yet, even though she knows my voice she is far from infallible 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Peter. 

To be honest, the main thing I want is just to be able to use my motion sensors in a more advanced way - i.e. linking them to my Hue/Smartthings/Alexa smart home setup. I was going to purchase Hue motion sensors to control when the lights come on/off but struck me that I already have sensors across the house so makes sense to see how I could use those first.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

To be honest i am not really a fan of having a alarm system connected to the internet as it can be hacked.    

Totally disagree with that statement

Yes it's possible if using insecure ways/equipment/setup etc

Best disable your smartphone/pc etc too

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

What would you want it to do though? It is possible to make anything smarter with Alexa using the right electronics, but I am not so sure that I would want her to disarm my alarm via voice just yet, even though she knows my voice she is far from infallible 

Be serious man your going to be smart bunny sticking with a 9571 lol

1 hour ago, Logan said:

To be honest i am not really a fan of having a alarm system connected to the internet as it can be hacked.    

Nah , Logan just get your alarm on an app as it's free on the ion asap and you won't go back

Just now, Logan said:

What i said is my opinion.   Yes internet connected systems are more convenient BUT they can be hacked.  

Nah unlikely it's not just about convenience dude