Security Installer Community

Keypad and pir upgrade for scantronic 9651

Andy cb

Hi guys looking for some advice 

I have a scantronic 9651 alarm with one main keypad, 5 pir detectors and smoke detectors 

ive had it service yearly in the 10 years I’ve had it but recently had a lot of work in the house done plastering and decorating and my now the keypad just lights up no sound and no message on it just a blank screen and I’m looking to switch the pir to pet tolerant 

I dint have the engineer code for the alarm so I’m guessing first thing to do would be reset the default codes then fit the new keypad and then the detectors anything I should expect or know about going from other bits on the forum each job seams fairly strait forward only thing worrying me I’d the keypad not working before the reset 

The keypad worked just fine up till about a week ago it used to tell me it had a tamper as it had been removed from the wall to allow for the plastering I was looking to upgrade it as the casing is old and cracked and the newer keypads are smaller 

13 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

You're right a blank keypad is not nessacarily going to be a faulty keypad. With no way of shutting the alarm up if you make a wrong move, I am not sure that I would be wanting to DIY that. 

I would get the engineer that normally serviced it but I can’t get hold of him anymore and none of my local company company’s will touch it without wanting silly money 

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

They must be busy round your way 

So you can see why I’d like to diy it myself 

am i right in thinking That if I default reset with the old pad I place still then replace keypad with new one I shouldn’t run into any problems swapping the pir’s after system is all set just with new keypad

2 minutes ago, Andy cb said:

Cheers I was planning on doing it when the system was completely powered down  anyway

The external sounder should start sounding on its own battery if you fully down power the panel. I say should that is what it is supposed to do.

So You really need to start at the external sounder, go outside and disconnect that first, otherwise you will upset your neighbors 

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

The external sounder should start sounding on its own battery if you fully down power the panel. I say should that is what it is supposed to do.

So You really need to start at the external sounder, go outside and disconnect that first, otherwise you will upset your neighbors 

Ok can I disconnect that before I power down or after 

Considering the mix up just with just your speaker, I would think twice about DIY.

Unless your willing to take the risk of many hours/weeks learning on the job and no guarantee of a working alarm at the end of it.

Words of caution if you do DIY:-

External bell strobe unit has very high voltage, this and having to disconnect a sounding box on the wall up a ladder is not the most pleasant experience when you have no idea what you are doing. Be careful.

Obviously the control box has mains voltage in best to isolate if your not good with electrics.

1 minute ago, Andy cb said:

I have a 9930 pad on there now from what I understand the 9943 works well and comes highly recommended for the 9651 panel 

II believe you are correct, I am not that familiar with Scanny anymore but I am sure someone posted here that the newer rkp's are compatible 

So just to get this right 

1 disconnect external sounder battery backup

2 default reset panel to reset engineer code 

3 wire in new keypad

4 check system all working normal having reconnected external sounder

5 power back down and external sounder and swap pir’s

2 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

II believe you are correct, I am not that familiar with Scanny anymore but I am sure someone posted here that the newer rkp's are compatible 

From what I’ve read on security warehouse 

it should work fine and I’ve read it on other forum’s 

Just now, Logan said:

Well yes. However i am a competent engineer so i know what to touch and what not to touch. Still the best idea to pull the fuse out the FCU

Are you? I would always recommend that the mains is isolated before the panel is opened as I would expect any competent engineer to recommend there are live terminals on the transformer and the psu  

15 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Considering the mix up just with just your speaker, I would think twice about DIY.

Unless your willing to take the risk of many hours/weeks learning on the job and no guarantee of a working alarm at the end of it.

Words of caution if you do DIY:-

External bell strobe unit has very high voltage, this and having to disconnect a sounding box on the wall up a ladder is not the most pleasant experience when you have no idea what you are doing. Be careful.

Obviously the control box has mains voltage in best to isolate if your not good with electrics.

Thanks sixwheeledbeast but having just rewired most of my house and had it NIC inspected with no problems I am happy to take this my speaker issue earlier was from on my looking at the product from a picture and being of the belief that I had and internal sounder as well as an external one having followers yours and others advice that part of the system has been reinstated and working great