Security Installer Community

Alarm Sounder Box Nightmare to Reach

EDinMK

Hello All

i purchased a Yale alarm systems recently to replace an old system for my aging In-Laws
It was one of these

I also got some additional extra sensors and panic button etc

The issue I have is that it is replacing an old system and there is an existing hole and wire on the wall
as the old system was wired..So I want to cover up this area, messy unpainted, cracked render etc etc

Also the alarm is in a very awkward place to reach ...as its not a simple matter of a ladder as its 
above a dorma that cannot be easily reached without some sort of platform and i dont fancy it to be honest :(

And i have realised that the 4 batteries in the wireless sounder will have to be replaced at times, which would be a nightmare
for us/them/anyone

As there is already a alarm core cable running to the outside, could we just replace the batteries (4 x d cell) by connections with a
suitable PSU we could plug in ?  Would make life a LOT easier.

We love the features of the Yale Wireless system ...its just the inconvenience of the sounder ..which we would prefer to be wired

Thanks for your help in advance

1 minute ago, EDinMK said:

We love the features of the Yale Wireless system

Unfortunately, we all, as one, hate the features of the Yale Wireless system, it is utter junk.

They can't even spell / check 'triggered' on the datasheet!

You can't replace the siren batteries with a PSU.

You would have been better off with a quality system such as a Texecom or similar, that would have allowed you to retain a wired siren, maint. free,

up to 4 existing wired zones such as door contacts, extras in 2-way wireless, and better yet have cloud based, app control so if anything happens at your in-laws

you would not only hear about it but be able to log in, reset the alarm, and see exactly what caused the alarm and when.

https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/alarm-systems-alarmingly-insecure-oh-the-irony/

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Well i hear u for sure...

the system that is there is a 30yr old gardiner one big steel box job ..hasnt worked for years.

Successive people decorating house have cut and tripped and ripped out all the wiring from the sensors ...

its gone

they definitely dont want to go back to a wired sensor world ..i mean the Yale looks a cheapy for sure.

But i know a a few people have them and for the basics they seem to suffice..its no TEXECOM

But they have had this Yale in the front room now for 6 months and they want me to get it sorted .

I dont want to be stuck with them 4 D cells outside ...and i know you said they CANNOT be replaced with an internal

PSU ...but what is the reason they can't

I mean if i crimp a pair of the old 6 core cable to the terminals and remove the battery then technically i would only

have to make sure there is a suitable DC charger on the other end ....? Or am i missing something 

Listen ..I know its not a pro-jobbie ...But its what I am stuck with 

To be honest i checked the datasheet and it's the same way i would spell triggered !

I must be going daft

"...The Yale Intruder Alarm alerts you when your alarm is triggered, and allows you to disarm your
alarm with a simple tap of your contactless tag. The 200m extended range enables you to protect
outbuildings as well as your home, with enhanced encrypted security for the ultimate peace of mind..."

6 minutes ago, EDinMK said:

But its what I am stuck with

Not really, unless money is a massive issue, I appreciate a lot of the old wires might have been cut but how about the one to the old siren, since you're thinking of reusing it?

Since we don't touch the Yale stuff I'm not going to stand here and say it can't be done, ever (PSU instead of battery) but don't be surprised if unless you get a very well matched and

regulated PSU you'll be back up there, just for a different reason than a duff battery! So on that basis I'd not recommend bothering. As the system is pretty insecure anyway is there

not ANY other location the bell can go?

2 minutes ago, EDinMK said:

To be honest i checked the datasheet and it's the same way i would spell triggered !

I must be going daft

Capture.JPG.649d1df7b848594a16566d9915b50b46.JPG

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Well the wire to the box seems to be intact

the box is buggered and peeling ....think rust too!

2 years ago a neighbour tried to get it off and it cam away but he pushed it back as plaster was a mess 

I mean i COULD resite ...but it would mean i had to replaster and stuff ..which is bad news

and also this old suare box will fall off soon anyway 

22 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Ah ..i didnt see the piccies, just the first bit.

Well money is an issue to be honest ....it always is with pensioners.

I mean i could have added a bit ...but I am part time now too ...so ..

Not really, unless money is a massive issue, I appreciate a lot of the old wires might have been cut but how about the one to the old siren, since you're thinking of reusing it?

Since we don't touch the Yale stuff I'm not going to stand here and say it can't be done, ever (PSU instead of battery) but don't be surprised if unless you get a very well matched and

regulated PSU you'll be back up there, just for a different reason than a duff battery! So on that basis I'd not recommend bothering. As the system is pretty insecure anyway is there

not ANY other location the bell can go?

Capture.JPG.649d1df7b848594a16566d9915b50b46.JPG

ok thanks ...I think i will mess about with the alarm while its down

here..i got a boatload of PSU and stuff here and a tester so I will try and emulate the batteries.

i dont want to be teetering up there for an hour or so with a bucket of render and a sandtex covered paintbrush
and THEN still have to drill and fix the new box somewhere else

just have to work out how to keep the learning function active while putting it up "powerless" 

..probably just have the wife learning from downstairs.

I was reading that you can wire up some DUMMY d-cells ..anyone ever done that ?

Thanks Logan ....I know ...but thy have bought this Yale
I only live at the back behind them 

I mean they have 2 MAD Jack Russells ...so I can t see anything past a SWAT team getting in anyway
they are aggressive as hell!

Its just a peace of mind thing. I mean one of their friends recommended it and they seem happy enough .

Forget that Gardiner ....that was there when they bought the house and has NEVER worked and i mean like Pre-1990 ! 
The wall box in porch is more spiders than wires !

I mean i know they LOOKED at other systems ...but they were looking for something that was like sub-£200 and they 

could get muggins here to fit (that's the truth of it)

I mean its got them keyfobs things and it all just contacts as they cant use PIR because of the dogs ..so its fairly

basic workload only thing is a panic alarm in the bedroom

I wouldnt touch wireless anything if i can help it,,,but its not me

2 minutes ago, Logan said:

Also to be honest my neighbour had the same system and they weren't able to turn it off i had to smash the bellbox off the wall (didn't require much force at all) to shut it up

another good reason for powering via a wire then !

just switch off the supply 

i dot fancy knocking this off to be honest.
think about a dorma window ..think about an alarm box right above it 
cannot be reached by ladder from any side without WALKING on old tiles !
or putting a platform on each side and then planks acrosss

4 minutes ago, Logan said:

Can you take a picture of the old  panel and the external sounder  so i can help

well panel is in the bin last year, they have never seen it working and the sun had worn all the writing off ..the only reason i know its a gardiner

as it was wrote inside. it had a small pcb in there and a leaky large battery ...sort of oval thing. But someone had cut the wire years ago and just taped it up inside with 
sellotape ...nice

the box MIGHT be a gardiner too ....but then again its been repainted several times by the look of it ...it may have once been white, but its been repainted red at leasty twice

and it has no stickers on it ...or they have been painted over .....inside is a pair of BELLS ...not a siren ...it looks like 2 alarm clock bells with a transformer between them

I am presuming its worthless buddy ...unless I am wrong 

That's not the same alarm i have its the IA series

(although not sure what the difference is)

But i think what we have to realise here is

1. not EVERYONE has several hundreds of pound to fit an alarm
2. Not everyone needs a host of features and configurations you find on expensive models

3. ANY alarm is better than NO ALARM (even if its only marginally)

Not sure how many alarms Yale sell but I am guessing its thousands a year probably several thousand. So if they were 
all ****, they would stop production through loss ...So I am presuming they are at least OK ..anything can have a fault

For Example

I have a nice car (i think so) its a 17 Plate Range Rover 
Next Door has a 13 Plate Kia

I am SURE it doesn't have half the features mine has ...but it has ALL he needs ..and his services wont cost £500 either !
or he wont be paying £489 a month in repayments !

Do I swagger about when we are in the drive together...No

What I am saying here is CHEAP isn't always ****

and value for money is SUBJECTIVE

dependant on needs and funds

;)

anyway ..i will let u know how i get on with my adaption of the sounder ...who knows i may convert
you all to Yale-ys ;)

3 minutes ago, EDinMK said:

That's not the same alarm i have its the IA series

(although not sure what the difference is)

But i think what we have to realise here is

1. not EVERYONE has several hundreds of pound to fit an alarm
2. Not everyone needs a host of features and configurations you find on expensive models

3. ANY alarm is better than NO ALARM (even if its only marginally)

Not sure how many alarms Yale sell but I am guessing its thousands a year probably several thousand. So if they were 
all ****, they would stop production through loss ...So I am presuming they are at least OK ..anything can have a fault

For Example

I have a nice car (i think so) its a 17 Plate Range Rover 
Next Door has a 13 Plate Kia

I am SURE it doesn't have half the features mine has ...but it has ALL he needs ..and his services wont cost £500 either !
or he wont be paying £489 a month in repayments !

Do I swagger about when we are in the drive together...No

What I am saying here is CHEAP isn't always ****

and value for money is SUBJECTIVE

dependant on needs and funds

;)

anyway ..i will let u know how i get on with my adaption of the sounder ...who knows i may convert
you all to Yale-ys ;)

We get your point and it highlights other issues with cheaper diy equipment, ie blink, ring cctv etc.

No-one here will be converted to use yale, we have all seen it and would rather use anything else ie their is recognised pro stuff that is similar money.

We had a recent convo on here about cctv and it seems the belief with conumers is that 'high quality' cctv is available installed for about £500 this is simply not true.

However as long as the person buying/installing/using the yale system understands its insecurities etc they may not be a concern. To me they would be as you are telling the world from outside what system you have and google how to get around it.

But back on topic

In theory soldering onto the battery connections with a regulated psu 'should' function, but wont work in the event of an ac fail, may cause battery monitoring issues and is not recommended.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

7 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

We get your point and it highlights other issues with cheaper diy equipment, ie blink, ring cctv etc.

No-one here will be converted to use yale, we have all seen it and would rather use anything else ie their is recognised pro stuff that is similar money.

We had a recent convo on here about cctv and it seems the belief with conumers is that 'high quality' cctv is available installed for about £500 this is simply not true.

However as long as the person buying/installing/using the yale system understands its insecurities etc they may not be a concern. To me they would be as you are telling the world from outside what system you have and google how to get around it.

But back on topic

In theory soldering onto the battery connections with a regulated psu 'should' function, but wont work in the event of an ac fail, may cause battery monitoring issues and is not recommended.

also i have had a thought that in the event of an AC cut the alarm box wifi would need to be re-paired or learned or whatever so ....its back to the d Cells. It come with Varta Power One  x 4 ...is there anything LONGER LASTING I can fit.
excluding the exorbitant Lithiums OFC :)

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I would only use lithiums but i suppose yale want alkaline due to its target market.

I mean i COULD fit Lithiums ....but arent they CRAZY Money for 4 D Cells ?

I have no experience but just HOW longer lasting are they ?