Security Installer Community

Cost of Basic CCTV

was checking traffic etc and did some searches and came across this

How much does a CCTV installation cost?
Cost to Install a Basic CCTV System
Expect a basic entry level system to cost £225 for four cameras and an additional £300 for professional installation should you require it. A basic eight camera system will set you back around £400 with an additional £500 for professional installation.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/homes-interiors/how-to-guides/how-to-choose-a-burglar-alarm

I believe the above article is the same as the Which? one without the paywall.

Scary scary scary - all it does is bloody ENCOURAGE people to go with clueless fly by nights because the proper installer is 'ripping them off'.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Well, yes, but it's not quite as a bad as the apparant £100 for a fully installed 'bells-only' alarm!

I wonder if some clueless writer has just phoned around and been given prices for a bell change!

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I'm sure you'd just probably hoped like me that stodgy old publications like which would be on the side of quality, not fantasy cheap prices.

I'd like to think it's because the underlying article is 20-30 years old and never updated (a bit like their pic of the ancient scanny keypad) but it wasn't even £100-200 from the cheap gang in 1999!

Having spent the whole afternoon ******* about to get a single pyronix wifi camera to work.....

The other day fighting DB Coax in a 2 man reenactment of of the somme

& most days having telephone calls about about routers, passwords & burning incidents of systems 

my enthusiasm for CCTV has waned

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

The cost of basic CCTV is:-

Your privacy - basic systems are likely to be hacked or have known exploits, have no maintenance or software updates going forward.

Your internet - hacked systems generally become part of a botnet where they use all your bandwidth and grind your internet speed to nothing.

Your electricity - Fancy mining bitcoins for someone else? Even if your system isn't exploited to mine bitcoins, what use is basic when you need to use it in evidence.

Your time - it's likely DIY or basic CCTV will fail and have no support.

Your money - you could have put that towards something that would be useful in an event. Many people have gone basic and regretted it after an event.

I'd expect 4 cameras to be at least 1k if it's anything upto a spec worth fitting.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Having spent the whole afternoon ******* about to get a single pyronix wifi camera to work.....

So, what was it... special characters in p/w not passed properly by the camera? Have had that f**ker before :angry:

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

The cost of basic CCTV is:-

Your privacy - basic systems are likely to be hacked or have known exploits, have no maintenance or software updates going forward. - £40

Your internet - hacked systems generally become part of a botnet where they use all your bandwidth and grind your internet speed to nothing. - £40

Your electricity - Fancy mining bitcoins for someone else? Even if your system isn't exploited to mine bitcoins, what use is basic when you need to use it in evidence. - £40

Your time - it's likely DIY or basic CCTV will fail and have no support. - £40

Your money - you could have put that towards something that would be useful in an event. Many people have gone basic and regretted it after an event. - £40

Fixed ;)

Edited by datadiffusion

17 minutes ago, Logan said:

I do installs with 4 hd cameras and 1tb hard drive in dvr for around £200 total

Using what?

Plus what use is a 1Tb drive with 4 cameras unless using very low bitrates?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

41 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

So, what was it... special characters in p/w not passed properly by the camera? Have had that f**ker before

Catnic,

Large domestic garage, sub wanted camera within the reveal of the opening (upvc cladded) a mere 3" between no signal & full signal

Mr? Veritas God

We recently upgraded a bargain booze shop and fitted the 2mp Hik tvi cameras as the coax was already in place.

i paid £xxx per camera and charged more than Logan’s full install per camera to swap them over.

When will these lot stop working for peanuts.

No trade prices in public please Andy 

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

Catnic,

Large domestic garage, sub wanted camera within the reveal of the opening (upvc cladded) a mere 3" between no signal & full signal

Ouch, I hate that sort of timewaster, like the time the subs (obscure) router was only dishing out DCHP DNS to phones and PCs but would hand out an address to the DVR giving the illusion all was well but cloud wouldn't work, and it wasn't obvious why...

19 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

The fixed root password has been leaked on Sannce kit, give it a month or so and it will fuel the botnets.

Ouch 2, not as bad as that apalling piece of crap cybergibbons managed to get his hands on, where editing the cookies got you past the pw in the rare case it hadn't been changed!!

Edited by datadiffusion

12 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Ouch, I hate that sort of timewaster, like the time the subs (obscure) router was only dishing out DCHP DNS to phones and PCs but would hand out an address to the DVR giving the illusion all was well but cloud wouldn't work, and it wasn't obvious why...

Thompson routers are normally problem jobs

I've got also sky one where the DNS just stops working,  naturally it f'kin miles away

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

Don't, I've for some reason not had to deal with one of those bags of shiite for a while, at least, not those really bad small grey ones, just realised I probably did have to deal with one last week, talk talk, they sodding well block TeamViewer at port level!!

Sounds familiar, at least the Eaton kit has had the routine updated, I think now if it suspects something is amiss it totally resets the connection, again previously BT boxes have refused to dish out IPs properly after an update or reset (of the router).