Security Installer Community

BT have come up with new Law to replace Ohms LAw

After spending hours (many Hours) back to customer's home, BT are blaming the alarm system,  I tried to help the so called engineers out by explaining they had a ground leak & a Core to core leak as well,   getting down to basics I used pen & paper but then this BT Engineer made a mind blowing statement,  "BT have designed there own OHMS LAW, so none of this applies!!!!!!   i TRIED TO EXPLAIN,  Every  electron in the universe has to compile to Ohms Law,  "NO" he states BT have there own Laws,   So OK,  I then showed him the cupboard in which our equipment is fitted,  I'd removed it, it was sitting on the shelve wires tapped off,     This so called BT engineer then stated "IT's using the WI-FI is ant it, your not fooling me with that,  "   Hang on pulling lid off the smart-com case, Adding " look No Battery, no connections  it's dead, not working, not able to work" ,  This so called Engineer put on the pda fault caused by alarm system,  and walked out the door,   This BT engineer could not work out with a leak to ground and wire to wire how he had voltage ,  Well Mr BT Engineer that is called Resistance not a short or open circuit,  tis kind of fault will pull the line data rate down,   

The customer complained to BT, a manager was sent out, I arrived at the customer home just as the area manager arrived,    The customer introduced me to him, he asked why I was there,  he said he could only talk to the customer refused to talk to me,   it turned out he was an from an admin department and no tech nonce,   just kept saying the customer had to pay for the callout or BT would cut them off & put them on a service black list so no other company would give them service.  So I fitted a GSM router  which is faster.

What has made me post this message,  a short time back I noticed openreach pumping out a service hatch in the path 100m down from my customer,   Talking to the openreach crew  they are there due to poor broadband reports in the area,  The whole local network is flood with water,   The chats ll greed and said water in the ducts has a big effect on broadband speeds,!

How on earth can you work on telephone switched networks and not know about a test meter & Ohms LAW. 

All problems & faults are reported to me or my Son,  if it happens again, we either go our selves or talk to the visiting Engineer before leaving our offices with an agreed plan and options, once there he/she calls my son or me,  A 3rd time, t will be either my self or my son who visit  we are both electrical / electronic.

So it would be good sound engineering pratcie for BT/Openreach to automatically step up tech ability as a fault persist .  

26 minutes ago, Flying Banna said:

How on earth can you work on telephone switched networks and not know about a test meter & Ohms LAW. 

Sadly a sign of the times, I doubt most alarm engineers over 30 don't know it either and tbf in 99% of cases they don't need to, they just swap bits over...

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

And BT Openreach are no exception to this.

But hey. Love the new logo!

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/bt-mocked-generic-brand-logo/1584953

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I have no idea who is to blame here obviously we can't see the issue so it's impossible to call.

It's possible he didn't like the confrontation so intentionally wound you up. Maybe keeping out the way unless you where needed was the "path of least resistance" (pun intended)

Either way it wouldn't surprise me that Openreach would blame anyone but themselves for a fault or have minimal electrical knowledge most reactive calls in these industries have been made plug and play.

I see they've gone 180 again to start using outside NTEs on new-build again after they had to start removing them all (or relegating them to bulky ugly junction boxes) the first time around.

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/blog/bt-openreach-external-nte-xnte-6.php < back in 2016

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

24 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Last few new builds I have been on have all been FTTP, plastic cab in the toilet at high level.

Feck knows what was in this one I did the other day.

Massive suitcase sized box underneath the fuseboard (batteries???) with 25mm conduit tracking round the room, into that another big white cab with voice and Cat5 ports x 2, then the customer still has to have their BT Smarthub plugged into that.

I assume the service is graded but doesn't seem anything special, I'd have to say, and the Eaton log is showing dropout for about 2-5 seconds every other hour or so, thankfully these are programmable to no longer turn the light red or cause an alert if less than 60 seconds.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/how-to-self-install-openreach-equipment

Wow, thats a shed load more plant to be responsible for, in what could be some very shitty areas in peoples very shitty houses....

LOL at the virgin logo visible in the background on that blank plate below, how the mighty have fallen, but also if thats competition in action (2x services to one house, one coax one fibre) what a total waste of resources.

Edited by datadiffusion