Security Installer Community

Eaton I-ON40 android app pairing issue - "network error"

I have a self installed Scantronic/Eaton I-ON40 panel and KPZ01. Trying to get the app to work (Android phone), I get a "network error" message when I select PAIR APP on the menu. The network is connected (DHCP) since I can access the panel through it's IP address and the keypad menu shows normal network connection with the IP address etc.

Since the panel is clearly connected, what other settings to I need to check to resolve the "network error" when trying to pair the app for the first time.

Many thanks in advance, the Eaton manuals are a little sparse in the networking side of things.

3 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Latest firmware? (by USB if you need to)

Thanks for the tip. It was well out of date so updated via Level4 to 5.02.44 (from 5.01.4). Still have the same error message if trying to pair yet it's connected to my network although I haven't set the cloud up yet. I guess the app needs to talk via the cloud.

New problem since flashing the upgrade is the keypad home screen now shows "Incompatible language version!" even though the About reports "Software - 5.02.44" & "English v5.07". I've overwritten the ION40H default text with the house name but still it shows "Incompatible language version!".

So, net result of the update is no pairing and home screen warning.

Did you flash up to latest language version at the same time? 

5.02 44 needs 5.17 language, it should be in the same zip file as the firmware, the update prog will allow language only update.

Really confused by your issue, I've only ever had it historically when a customer changed router (even on dhcp) and was fixed by a restart though that issue has now been long fixed by Eaton. So surprised you're getting it after a restart.

Try this; go to manual ip settings and fill out with the correct details, then see if it works.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

12 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Did you flash up to latest language version at the same time? 

5.02 44 needs 5.17 language, it should be in the same zip file as the firmware, the update prog will allow language only update.

Really confused by your issue, I've only ever had it historically when a customer changed router (even on dhcp) and was fixed by a restart though that issue has now been long fixed by Eaton. So surprised you're getting it after a restart.

Try this; go to manual ip settings and fill out with the correct details, then see if it works.

Thank you again. Having read the Eaton manual more closely, it does say update the language before the firmware, but anyhow, it still allowed me to do the language after through Level4. The panel now has the latest firmware/language and home screen displaying house name/date & time correctly.

When entering installer mode, it now has the check for update message, does that and reports it's up to date. I can access the panel through my laptop browser and using the IP address which I got my router to set as fixed for the panel and entered that instead of using DHCP.

I set up a Cloud account and can log in but the Eaton page tells me nothing, the FAQ button doesn't take me anywhere (even if I copy and paste the url back to https://www.eatonsecureconnect.com/m2m-web-admin/#!/faq/endUser)

The panel will only accept numbers in the Cloud Access/Cloud ID field but Eaton didn't include any number in their welcome email nor is one visible in my log in page below. My guess is until it's logged in, I can't pair. The manual does say -

If no Cloud ID is entered, the system will still connect to the Cloud but as an “Unmanaged Panel” and will not be seen in the Installers Cloud Account. This is intended for the rare occasion when a system is being installed by a Professional Alarm Installation Company but will not be maintained by that company but where End User access to the Eaton Secure Connect App is still required.

However, trying to pair even without the ID, the same "network error" message pops up yet the panel is connected to my network in every other way. I'm going to open the port it uses on my router and see if that makes a difference.

spacer.png

Edited by Spherehopper
added image

Whats that bit you've blurred out - that's where my installer number would appear!

Capture.thumb.JPG.44a8175fdf08239663f29ea8579716cf.JPG

You should not have to open any ports for it to work. I've installed this system on all sorts of setups from IT company office 'lockdown nightmare' to granny with Post Office Broadband (who somehow totally BLOCK TeamViewer at ISP level FFS) and the only time I've had that network issue at the first ever cloud connect time issue it's been resolved by a restart (and has never come back), and hasn't happened at all recently.

In the log, does this error show up and does it also have a number attatched? I agree the basic manual is a bit pants, but, in the full engineering manual there IS a long appendix with every single IP error code including some quite obscure SSL ones for example which will only show as 'Email error' on the keypad but quite specific on the log when you look it up. That's been very helpful in the past with emails, though with the lastest software this again shouldn't be an issue as emails are now sent by the cloud server end, at last, though also makes me think Eaton are gearing up to start charging...

Just out of interest have you restarted your router?

I do wonder if you've ended up with some kind of 'end user' version of Eaton Cloud given the text in that FAQ link, hence the lack of Cloud ID number.

Whilst that shouldn't be an issue, as such, it's not something I'm familiar with.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for your time again. The bit I blurred out was my full name used to register.

I have rebooted my router too, but the curious issue is that the network comms for other aspects (remote log in, checking for firmware updates on entering installer mode) all seem to work normally.

If I switch off my internet connection, then the "pair app" function immediately declares "network error" but if the network is up, it pauses, says "please wait" then "network error" so it is having a sniff for some connection.

Will have a look through the full manual as I have installer access to the Eaton site. The odd thing about trying to register is that I have several email accounts (used a different one for the app as recommended by them) but not one of my BT Internet one's got acknowledgement emails from Eaton even when clicking "send confirmation email again". Nothing in junk folders, just odd that BT must be filtering out Eaton emails as they came straight through to my non BT account when I used that instead.

Edited by Spherehopper

Got it all sorted now. Despite multiple requests to resend the log in to my BT account, nothing came. I logged in using the next email address I had (which gave the menu above) and still had problems. I tried a third time with an old Tiscali email that still runs.

I got immediate acknowledgement with a cloud ID in the email (previous one hadn't added a cloud ID). Used that on the panel (which also reported "logging out of cloud" when I went to add the number, so it had connected anonymously before). Now with a pukka cloud ID, the panel gave me a sync code for the app and it all works.

Once logged in the panel was visible in my installer account.

Very odd, but for some reason Eaton doesn't like BT email and their system managed to generate a half hearted account with my next attempt.

Thank you for your time, it's all working now and I can get on with other jobs.

Interestingly only just fixed a spurious fault with my fire panel (Kentec Sigma). It was generating random "earth fault" alarms which Kentec thought was my detector wiring but after many hours I found a design fault where a thermal fuse mounted on the back of the motherboard gets trapped under a fixing screw and allows some leakage. I moved the component out of the way and it all worked. When I called Kentec back they said they were aware of that fault and asked the assembly people to bend the component legs on assembly so it didn't get trapped under the screw! Could have saved me hours if they'd told me this was a possible cause of the earth fault!

Glad you got it sorted. I've just realised that it could well be that the registration of apps on 'non-cloud account' panels is actually, permanently broken?? 

Unless someone has diligently tested it, no doubt they would have only tried using their test Cloud ID which I assume was the point it all started working for you.

I know that they moved servers recently and highly suspect that the non-cloud registration mode might be hard coded to a now non-existant IP? As I say I've

never had cause to use that mode as the installer registered 'engineering UDL' so to speak it is the biggest USP of the panel for me. Especially when the check

for update DOES work, whenever I've had issues it would always be every single function that reports network error, as you'd expect, I think it was due to not refreshing

DHCP DNS before the fix, which was why new routers were catching them out, especially when BT moved from the 255 range to the 1.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the red section isn't duffers its a reasonable amount of pre-registered panels just in case they do start to charge next year ;)