Security Installer Community

Yale Smart Alarm External Box

Bunster

Does anyone know if you can use another manufacturer's external siren with a Yale Smart wireless system?  The site is a listed building in a conservation area and we'd like something a little more discreet!  (I've submitted this question to Yale, but so far no response)

Thanks, Tim

Seriously doubtful to be honest but I think your asking in the wrong place, none of us would actually install Yale alarms and certainly not on a listed building.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

48 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Does anyone know if you can use another manufacturer's external siren with a Yale Smart wireless system?  The site is a listed building in a conservation area and we'd like something a little more discreet!  (I've submitted this question to Yale, but so far no response)

Thanks, Tim

Building worth much?

I look after 2 adjacent 1.5-2 million pound properties in Bath, both unusually still complete houses where most others are flats.

Both nice owners, but owner No. 1 won't upgrade his ion 40 to the cloud version because 'it's a bit dear'. Remember, Eaton are

the ones with no monthly fee for cloud :banghead:

I would add the house is full of gadgets including nest, servers, etc... so it isn't as if they are techphobic.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Although, there was that attempt to flog them via 'approved' installers a few years back, black bells IIRC, I think that fell flat on it's arse.

But yes OP, DIY tat I'm afraid and you'll be lucky to get a reply, that will tell you they don't sell anothing other than the horrible yellow circles.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

4 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Yes, that is my question.  Can anyone help please?

A Yale sounder is the only thing which will work on a Yale alarm

It can probably be refinished or repacked to look less "Yale"

However its a DIY alarm, the only time I see them is when they get taken out...

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks SWB - that looks perfect!

So one other question for you: I notice that some here don't think too much of the Yale system.  Why is that? It is really a rubbish system?  Or is it that it's DIY rather than professionally installed?

So what system would you recommend?  Here's what I think I need..

• DIY Install
  • Fully wireless
  • Keypad with at least 3 x 4-digit codes
  • Video PIRs
  • External and internal sounders
  • Extendable with smoke detector, extra PIRs etc

16 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Or is it that it's DIY rather than professionally installed planned and designed

fixed.

We often get people on here who take it very personally when we tell them DIY is not always the best way to go, usually because 'I work in IT so I'm sure I can wire up a couple of sensors' etc...

However, the biggest downfall of DIY is not the installation (although that's sometimes awful) but that a well performing system will be properly planned and designed.

Yale IS DIY tat and no-one on here would touch it with a bargepole I'm afraid.

There is no such thing as the 'best' alarm, but there certainly are some bad ones.

The best way to start would be to tell us about your property, any rough plans, weak points, entry points, who lives there, any special assets being protected (hope not as you probably shouldn't be DIY at all if that's the case!)

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I have used Elmdene stainless ones on listed buildings in the past. Anything white plastic would normally stand out.

If the issue is aesthetics then it would be down to you to decide on the definition of "a little more discrete".

But the Yale wireless system won't drive a normal sounder unless I missed something.

1 hour ago, Bunster said:

Thanks SWB - that looks perfect!

So one other question for you: I notice that some here don't think too much of the Yale system.  Why is that? It is really a rubbish system?  Or is it that it's DIY rather than professionally installed?

So what system would you recommend?  Here's what I think I need..

• DIY Install (if you can do it)
  • Fully wireless (if you have to two way wireless)
  • Keypad with at least 3 x 4-digit codes ( with prox tags better)
  • Video PIRs ( must be free with Yale????)
  • External and internal sounders( external Sounders not important )
  • Extendable with smoke detector, extra PIRs etc ( hybrid system good for this )

To add to above video pirs useless if your not having them in every location , nor.ally means you don't want any kid of CcTV either , saves more money of course 

Is video transmission free by yale ?

I think your better off with a pyronix enforcer , probably a good DIY choice with ability to take on an installer in the future if needed for cloud etc 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bunster said:

Thanks, Mr Happy.  T hat's very helpful.   Can you suggest an authentic-looking box into which I could put the gubbins?

On this note being listed seems to be of no consequence , either there are restrictions or not means you nor ally can't put anything on it or drill into certain places etc blah blah listed blah building rules 

What's the crack op?

2 hours ago, Bunster said:

Thanks, Mr Happy.  T hat's very helpful.   Can you suggest an authentic-looking box into which I could put the gubbins?

Take the cover to a good local car body shop, they should be able to spray it to any colour you want.

I've done this in the past when a customer insisted on a cover that blended with a stone wall, have to say it turned out pretty well.

2 hours ago, al-yeti said:

think your better off with a pyronix enforcer , probably a good DIY choice with ability to take on an installer in the future if needed for cloud etc 

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I'll take a look at the Pyronix Enforcer system.  Whereabouts in London are you, Al Yeti?

21 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I'll take a look at the Pyronix Enforcer system.  Whereabouts in London are you, Al Yeti?

West London ub3 , not far from nw, w, n, s postcodes of you get me

But I don't fit the enforcer , hkc quantum70 is what you get from me comparing to the enforcer

5 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I don't fit the enforcer , hkc quantum70 is what you get from me comparing to the enforcer

Eeeh, Yetis gone reet posh these days...

Good system OP, so don't dispair!

Although for some odd reason I now can't get this out of my head...

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

Eeeh, Yetis gone reet posh these days...

Good system OP, so don't dispair!

Although for some odd reason I now can't get this out of my head...

Proper joker haha