Security Installer Community

Pro installer told me I'll never see extra pixels

Chappie

11 hours ago, PeterJames said:

No,  My Alexa is not connected to any of my security, unless you count that its on the same router, eventually. The Alexa talks to the broadlink, the broadlink is a ir and rf transmitter, that can switch on anything with ir or rf. I have rf light switch's and of course my garage doors are rf.  Controlling a gate or just about anything by voice is simple nowadays. 

So I need one of these? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broadlink-Automation-Intelligent-Controller-Compatible-RMPRO/dp/B077GRV5CJ

Or presumably Alexa Echo would do the same job without Broadlink?

In practice, how does it work? Can a PIR alert or video intercom visitor automatically trigger a camera window on your TV? Does it overlay whatever channel you are watching or do you have to switch AV channels?

In practice, how does it work? Can a PIR alert or video intercom visitor automatically trigger a camera window on your TV? Does it overlay whatever channel you are watching or do you have to switch AV channels?

In theory you could use an analytic camera to trigger a wireless output which in turn tells the broadlink to change the channel of the TV to HDMI source. My recorder is plugged into a HDMI input of the TV so its a separate source (like changing from terrestrial tv to a sky box).  I control mine manually or ask Alexa to go to HDMI 2 on the tv. 

So I need one of these? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broadlink-Automation-Intelligent-Controller-Compatible-RMPRO/dp/B077GRV5CJ

Or presumably Alexa Echo would do the same job without Broadlink?

To operate the gate or TV or anything by shouting at it yes you need one of those, and an echo, the echo talks to the broadlink to switch stuff on and off.
Paul Hibbert explains most of it here 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

There are CCTV manufacturers like Dahua and Hikvision that make doorbells and entry systems that link to the CCTV and your smart phone, it wont be long until there is an alexa skill for those too 

I will be getting a Hikvision video intercom for my entrance gates. Are you saying that when Alexa eventually acquires that skill I won't need any other device…or would that only dispense with the Echo (or the Broadlink)? Sorry for being a dummy.