Security Installer Community

Seeking advice please

Guest Manty

Hi all.

Some time ago my A1 alarm panel (Omnicron 7000) started to puke, so I stopped using the alarm, as it was constantly faulting. Just one of those things really.

I got a kick up the butt in the early hours of this morning when at 4am the bellbox began sounding off. The panel, still dead and not responding, I ended up disconnecting the black bell- wire from the panel, the sounder silenced.

I'd already bought a Veritas 8 panel and 7ah battery, thought this was the perfect time to replace the panel, so had a go at it myself.

The existing wiring was fairly straightforward, I've only got 4 zones (2 PIRs, 2 mag contacts) and they've been wired up and walk tested fine, etc.

The problem I'm faced with is the A1 bellbox. For some reason I think this was linked to the original fault on the old panel, it intermittently causes the Veritas panel to alert with a tamper alarm.

When I wired in the bellbox, it started sounding as soon as I connected the + and - (red + black in this case) to the Veritas panel. It wouldn't stop until I fitted the white and green connections to "0v" and "Tamp" on the SAB terminal block.

However, this way round the system had a constant tamper fault on the bellbox when doing the walk test. I noticed in the manual that it says connection "B" can be configured for negative supply (I think) for SCB type bellboxes, which from what I can make out of the original install is what I have already, but as soon as I set that to be on in the menu system (0 1 6) it started sounding immediately.

I then thought I'd got the wiring wrong, so I turned off the SCB setting, swapped the white 0v for the black- and the alarm, and it silenced and also 'passed' the walk test - no constant tamper light. The bellbox also sounded when doing the sound test.

The problem is I was stood at the door talking to someone with the system unset, and it started alarming with a tamper alert. I checked the event log (menu 4 1) showed flashing tamper light, no zone light, pressed OMIT and it showed zone 1 which = bellbox tamper.

Do you think I'm right in pointing the blame at the bellbox being old and ****, having a bad tamper switch perhaps? The bellbox battery seems fine as it was sounding when I connected the wiring while the Veritas wasn't connected to the mains.

Sorry for the long post, hope it makes sense. If you think a replacement bellbox is required, are there any suitable compatible ones, in addition to the Texecom range?

THanks for the quick responses!

The cable is 6 core, but only 4 cores are being used on this particular box. I'm thinking I can utilise one of the 2 unused ones for the strobe if I get an oddysey, or use them for diagnostics should the fault occur on the new bellbox.

I've not looked at the old bellbox yet as I dont have the means to access it just now, but when I do I take it I just need to cut the mains to it / disconnect the +/- ve at the panel, leg it up the ladders with some earplugs and pull the battery connectors?

I bet you was alright at writing essays at school.

Irrespective of what the fault is or trying to find what the fault is swap your bellbox, upgrading your panel and then leaving that excuse of a sounder is just false economy.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

<snip>

upgrading your panel and then leaving that excuse of a sounder is just false economy.

31777[/snapback]

LOL, I know, unfortunately I didn't have a clue who or what rep A1 had when I bought the house, and when I found this forum and learned that they're old B&Q budget alarms I knew I'd have to replace it all at some point - just needed a kick is all!

Anyway, just to update this, I disconnected the old sounder this morning easily enough, I also now have a shiny new sounder to use as well which looks very simple to install.

The A1 sounder was... err.. well, words cannot describe. :D

Thanks once again for the advice, I'll deffo get this serviced regularly if the wiring proves to be okay, we'll see.

:)

Archived