Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 Communicator pins

DanEdge

You'd honestly save a lot of time and get more reliable interfacing from a better panel.

High end alarm panels can do a lot of automation and logic themselves, they can just lack slightly on easy user control.

The main thing I don't like with konnected things are they instruct you to piggy back on all the zone inputs for presence, so if something failed you could get false alarms it doesn't conform IMO.

It's designed to retrofit to old panels but it costs a lot considering a decent alarm panel can do a chunk of that functionality and output it somewhere clean, if you know what your doing.

@sixwheeledbeast Just got to testing this out and it does seem to work. Thanks again for the creative work around! I will take a look at the Premier panel though - I’m going to need to add some additional zones anyway so will need to upgrade. But this serves the purpose for now.

@MrHappyThanks for the unsolicited financial advice - but all good there. Thanks

36 minutes ago, DJEdge22 said:

@MrHappyThanks for the unsolicited financial advice - but all good there. Thanks

life's too short.... just buy the proper gear it work much nicer & a keypad & plaggy endstation is less than a hive thermostat

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I was toying with Hubitat for a while, but now ive gone down the home assistant route. Its hard work learning Yaml and understanding a new terminology. But there is a huge following, loads of online support. I already had my alarm system switching stuff on and off when I armed and part set, it also switches lights on when the alarm activates, and courtesy lights when we come and go.

Ive already set up esp bluetooth presence detection, my HA knows what room Im in at any one time assuming I have either my phone or my watch on and automations either run based on how long I am in that room or the time of day/light levels, and my daily routines.

My next house (Moving soon)  will have outputs that run inline with the motion detectors and door/window contacts, regardless of if my panel is armed the HA will know when someone has opened a door or walked into a room. If a rear door opens without seeing a motion in that room first it will trigger Alexa to announce a warning. My current alarm panel has the capability to provide hundreds of outputs, my next will be the same panel. 

In your shoes OP i would take the advise and get a panel that has enough outputs, you will have a never ending need of outputs, and one or two programmable inputs  

I hate working with YAML it's just backwards to most other markup languages, it's becoming increasingly common in config files.

It's supposed to be more human readable but I just find it annoying to work with in a similar way to python. Give me some old school XML or even JSON anyday, let me whitespace where I want...

Lol agree on the white space bit. 

I'm also into home assistant. Cant see a better project or solution yet. Yes it's early days but it's infinitly configurable. Just need to add my preferred gear to it, galaxy guy is way ahead though and those that are that ecosystem should play with the virtual rios 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

10 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I hate working with YAML it's just backwards to most other markup languages, it's becoming increasingly common in config files.

It's supposed to be more human readable but I just find it annoying to work with in a similar way to python. Give me some old school XML or even JSON anyday, let me whitespace where I want...

I quite like Node Red I use to use a similar concept called RCAD same principle, I havent actually used it properly yet just played with it, but I think it may be more logical than Yaml