Security Installer Community

Mysterious Premium Phone Calls to BT from Alarm System

BillW

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on this problem with my alarm system.

Castle Integrated Security (Kirkliston) installed a home security system as a sub-contractor to Wimpey  in my home in 2007. The system was linked to the police for the first couple of years then I stopped the contract. The system proceeded to work as normal for the 2018 when I noticed regular significant telephone charges on my BT phone bill which when I checked all were calls to the same premium number. These were calls to a number 08716648336 which I did not recognise but which when checked online appears to be to a number which is used by security companies to test security systems but I don't understand why that would be the case as I hadn't been under contract since 2009? As far as I understand Castle Integrated Systems were sold shortly after installing my system and I can't think how they could have changed the testing frequency which hadn't been causing the volume of calls which I discovered in 2018  literally many dozens of repeat calls with seconds of each other  amounting to hundreds of £sss! The only way I could think of stopping the calls and expense was by disconnecting the telephone line from my security system box. This has indeed stopped these excessive calls and costs but of course my alarm system no longer works as it senses a communication problem and won't set. When I connect the telephone line again the system works fine.

I'd appreciate if anyone can advise if and how I can get round this problem.

Thanks

Cheers

Bill 

even though the system is not under a contract it will need to be reprogrammed to stop it dialling, ie disable the communicator

also pstn lines can now cause digicoms (I assume your communicator type) to 'runaway' and keep dialling to deliver a test or signal until they com fail, usually 8 times every time it tries. It can then try to deliver a comm fail and the circle goes on and on etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

As above cancelling the contract wont stop the alarm from sending out test calls daily. The alarm company would have stopped taking any notice of the signals. We used to retain ownership of the monitoring equipment back in the day and then charge the customer for us to collect it if cancelled. I can see why now.

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Pay a man to default the alarm / remove digi off system...

I'd assume ADSL on the line caused a run away dialer, or the number came back into service ?

CIastle appear to be long dead & burried

This ^^^

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.