Security Installer Community

Wireless chimer

Can someone kindly advise me?  I am going to install a photo electric perimeter beam (Optex AX-100TFR) which has an alarm output of only 3.6 volts DC.  All the wireless doorbells chimers I'm coming across use 12 volts.  Is there a 3.6v wireless chimer available anywhere?  Thanks very much for any replies.

1 hour ago, Tom Delaney said:

Can someone kindly advise me?  I am going to install a photo electric perimeter beam (Optex AX-100TFR) which has an alarm output of only 3.6 volts DC.  All the wireless doorbells chimers I'm coming across use 12 volts.  Is there a 3.6v wireless chimer available anywhere?  Thanks very much for any replies.

Out of curiosity ,it has a relay output 

I assume your having it on your drive and using it as an alert or something? So it's cabled back to the house?

If so then you can use any PSU with extra relay and any chime

But what do you mean it only has a 3.6v output?

Maybe this version isn't correct for your application so explain application and then perhaps go for another model?

Although you can get small low voltage buzzers

Yes, this is to be used to protect a driveway - it DOESN'T have wired connections, it is a stand-alone battery unit.  So any alarm output has to be wireless.  On the spec, it says the alarm output is 3.6v http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/brochure/AX-100_200TFR.pdf  So I assumed I can't simply use a 12v wireless doorbell chimer.  Am I wrong?  Thanks.

I'm open to suggestions of a different product.  I want to protect a driveway with a perimeter beam, but there's no way of running power out.  So it has to be a perimeter beam that is battery operated.  And obviously I need that to trigger an indoor chimer/sounder wirelessly.  Any suggestions very gratefully received.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

X y problem? 

They are designed to be connected to a wireless transmitter. Then use the contacts on the receiver to drive your wired sounder unit

Expensive way for driveway chime 

Yes, I need the alarm output to send a wireless signal to a chimer inside.  Is there something off the shelf?  I did contact the manufacturer, but (although very helpful) wanted me to spend hundreds on a control panelled receiver and signal emitter.  Given that wireless doorbell chimers do this for just £12, I wondered if any company had produced something similar to simply wire into the alarm output terminals.

Well I just wondered if the market had provided something new.  I fitted a Takex system 15 years ago.  It spans a 12 metre gap and is wired to a wireless doorbell chimer.  It has worked flawlessly, and I really can't fault it.  The only reason I'm not going down the Takex route this time (for two family members who want the same system) is because of the cost of Takex, now.  I can rig these two systems up to a doorbell chimer, no problem, but I was just hoping that some manufacturer somewhere would be providing the same idea (at 3.6v) without me having to re-work a doorbell button.  IF I remember correctly, my 15 year-old Takex has two volt-free terminals for the alarm output (presumably activated by a relay?), whereas the Optex system I link to above apparently has 3.6v terminals...if I've grasped this correctly.  So that is my 'problem' - that doorbell chimers are 12v not 3.6v.

5 minutes ago, Tom Delaney said:

Well I just wondered if the market had provided something new.  I fitted a Takex system 15 years ago.  It spans a 12 metre gap and is wired to a wireless doorbell chimer.  It has worked flawlessly, and I really can't fault it.  The only reason I'm not going down the Takex route this time (for two family members who want the same system) is because of the cost of Takex, now.  I can rig these two systems up to a doorbell chimer, no problem, but I was just hoping that some manufacturer somewhere would be providing the same idea (at 3.6v) without me having to re-work a doorbell button.  IF I remember correctly, my 15 year-old Takex has two volt-free terminals for the alarm output (presumably activated by a relay?), whereas the Optex system I link to above apparently has 3.6v terminals...if I've grasped this correctly.  So that is my 'problem' - that doorbell chimers are 12v not 3.6v.

What about hot wiring an wireless door bell from Argos , the door bell switch might be able to be operated like that somehow 

Otherwise you will have to an on a tx Rx somewhere and spend loads on a chime 

Ps does the Optex AX-100TFR cost more than the takex?

Takex and Optex are similar quality kit. The Takex unit and the Optex with it's separate C form compatible transmitter unit will likely be similar cost wise.

The idea with the Optex unit is you can choose any 3.6V C Form compatible transmitter or series a few beams on the same pole onto one transmitter. It also means you can select a radio frequency best suited to the country and application.

Again we are talking professional grade perimeter protection here.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Takex and Optex are similar quality kit. The Takex unit and the Optex with it's separate C form compatible transmitter unit will likely be similar cost wise.

The idea with the Optex unit is you can choose any 3.6V C Form compatible transmitter or series a few beams on the same pole onto one transmitter. It also means you can select a radio frequency best suited to the country and application.

Again we are talking professional grade perimeter protection here.

For a drive way chime......

On 30/07/2019 at 09:33, james.wilson said:

Good unit though, what you thinking instead? 

How about install a hkc alarm , stick a wireless contact any old how and follow the zone inside on a sounder  , and have app alert you aswell , must be a way ....

I didn't recommend the beam it's a good product but just explaining the costs. Maybe the Takex is the right product if you know how to put it together.

Anyone can throw an alarm panel at it. I have used Ricochet contacts to send signals back for example. Again this all goes back to X Y Problem.

Pyronix enforcer panel in the house, fit one of their new wireless pirs (XDL12TT-WE) across the driveway (when set up correctly it can give you push notifications to your mobile phone) - probably not as good as IR beam but just making a suggestion...

Al-yeti, yes that's exactly what I did 15 years ago!  I simply put a washer inside the bell push that makes permanent contact, so as soon as the Takex sends an alarm output, power (12v using a transfomer, and ditching the internal battery) is sent through the bell push button and alerts the indoor chime.  It has worked an absolute treat.  We NEVER get a false alarm, either!  However, this time I need to use the Optex, and unfortunately that has 3.6v rather than volt-free connections.  Optex have told me to use a 'PCU-5'.  I don't know what that is, but I assume it drops the voltage to 3.6v.  That's no good as 3.6v won't operate a wireless door chime button.  I will Google 'HKC alarm'.

Many thanks for the replies, by the way.

I can't use the HKC (or any other control panel system) as both family members are elderly, and can't cope with a control panel.  They just want an alert, like mine, that tells them someone is walking down their driveway.  Even a Ring is pointless as the notification to the user is far too delayed in time (and sometimes non-existant!).

Not a beam but Texecom KIT-0079, 12v buzzer in a 12v boxed PSU.

An alarm panel option wouldn't have to be used you enable chime and leave it alone.

If you "have to" use the Optex beam I suggest using the transmitter they recommend, normally they have a Inovonics one.

• Upvote 1