Security Installer Community

Texecom Wireless Smoke Detector Problem

David N

If they are Exodus smokes on a Texecom Premier system I would consider a replacement for Aico low voltage.

This is unless the site warrants a "proper" fire alarm system installing which maybe what the alarm company are alluding too.

It's possible the devices are contaminated and need replacing, I'd expect them to be replaced periodically as part of maintenance if on brigade every 5 years.

Also possible they are the wrong type of detection, the generic Exodus "blue" multisensor isn't suitable in kitchens and orangery's IMO.

Beams are an option but they would have to be compatible with an intruder alarm, kit like fire beams are designed for a fire alarm as referenced above.

TBH I would have at least made the system KH only and replaced the heads in the time being until you resolve the issue.

Sounds like so far you have had people come and look but do little in reactive response. Either way your in the hands of the alarm company really.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also re. beams I suspect from your subsequent descriptions that the orangery is not the huge open space with a couple of chairs and a table (I certainly) first imagined so 1+ for the above

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

5 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Exodus then ;)

Yes Blue is combined Optical (Smoke) and Heat

Ultimately, one for your installer to sort out, really, be interesting to see what they suggest.

I have, in the past, been given silly directions by builders misinterpreting building control regs, e.g. was asked to fit smokes in every bedroom in a domestic house with loft extension 'because the regulations say'.

I wonder if the same has happened with your installer here?

Personally the kitchen would always be a heat detector, as recommended.

Is it always just the one detector false alarming then?

It was the utility one false alarming.  Spy Alarms want to replace that one.  Since then the kitchen one has started to do false alarms.  

Its all linked to a Control4 system that piggybacks the PIR’s for lighting triggers and remote control. 

Kitchen one shouldn't be a smoke, but there we go!

As I say I have had these false alarm for no reason, repeatedly, after a certain age, though in one case after major building work (elsewhere in the property) even though they were removed for the worst of it and covered up for the rest.

Have to be honest I have gone back to Eaton ones for now, also simplfies stock it's a 4 in 1 selected by switches on the unit.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks all, very helpful indeed.  First step seems to be to replace the utility and kitchen sensors for new ones to see if we simply have an ageing sensor issue.  

We want to stick with Texecom for now so the the system remains integrated with the Control4 and the monitoring.  

Not trusting the installers particularly I want to tell them exactly what to do, so which of the Texecom sensors should we use please?

https://www.texe.com/uk/products/range/fire-detectors/

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, David N said:

We want to stick with Texecom for now

Again, sensors are merely units with a switch, unless of course, they are wireless ones, in which case you will need Texecom. Unlikely though as wireless ones don't have the blue ring...

Do they look like the Exodus ones you linked to? If so your system will be compatible with Eaton, Texecom, Aico, Honeywell, ebay ( :) ) or any other brand of 12V smoke or heat detector.

You DO NOT have to use Texecom detectors on a Texecom wired alarm system, whether it is connected to Control4 or not.

But it will be up to your installer, they really should have known not to put a smoke in a kitchen, unless they do even less fire jobs than me...

Even sparkies should know that though to be honest, it's made clear in every instruction leaflet I've ever seen.

David, if it was me I would be installing the Eaton / cooper M12 (4 in 1 detector) - I have a couple at home and they haven't missed a beat

I fitted a few texecom in the past and after a few years had false alarm issue...

Edited by aissecur