Security Installer Community

Gaps in the Security Market

Gabs

Thought this would be a good place to ask: are there any gaps in the security market, to do with anything? Panels? Bell Boxes? sounders? I understand when starting a business (ideally manufacturing) I need to identify where there is a gap and build on how it can be solved. Any ideas are good, I thought this would be a good place to ask because there are many people here with a great knowledge of the security business and how it is changing. Any help/suggestions are really appreciated. 

If one of us could say that, I'm sure it would already be in development. Sky Google or amazon will control the mass market for security, they will sell it better than any of us could. Then it will cycle round again, the insurers will be miffed, the police and we will still be around to carry on.... 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

3 hours ago, james.wilson said:

If one of us could say that, I'm sure it would already be in development. Sky Google or amazon will control the mass market for security, they will sell it better than any of us could. Then it will cycle round again, the insurers will be miffed, the police and we will still be around to carry on.... 

Sounds about right

Google Amazon etc , will make to many differing products due to sales targets no one will ever be happy , except short term 

By then tasers will be legal !

I guess that's true, I was after any ideas though, like what do you guys/girls/other feel you could do with at work, or something that would be a good idea. I was thinking of designing a PSU, that can power many different things, from LED lights to extra alarm accessories. I know the likes of Google are trying to get into the market, but would you rather install some weird Google alarm, or some hard wired equipment from a British company? 

19 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

the google thing will be diy its a bigger market.

I understand that, and they are a bigger market. What would you suggest? Literally just after ideas at this point 

20 hours ago, MrHappy said:

you need something simple to start with

something more complex like an eternal led flood light which is controlled by 833mhz cr123 powered pirs or remote fob is probably too complex ?

And already available

15 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Change title to gabs in security market 

Ha ha just seeing what it takes to get into it... I'm quite an entrepreneurial  person. Just thought because I have knowledge of this industry I might have a better chance of getting going, even something small at first. I could design a quality bell box for example

Edited by Gabs

7 minutes ago, Gabs said:

Ha ha just seeing what it takes to get into it... I'm quite an entrepreneurial  person. Just thought because I have knowledge of this industry I might have a better chance of getting going, even something small at first. I could design a quality bell box for example

I think alarms is a declining market, most small manufactures of alarm stuff have gone.

A bell box is plastic moulding & electronics for £20 odd,

A tool box is plastic mounding no electronics & about £20 odd ?

Edited by MrHappy
  • Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

8 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I think alarms is a declining market, most small manufactures of alarm stuff have gone.

A bell box is plastic moulding & electronics for £20 odd,

A tool box is plastic mounding no electronics & about £20 odd ?

I know what you mean, a tool box would be a good idea, but I can't just make one and expect to sell it. What is your tool box missing that you could do with? If I can find a problem with a product fix it, I can have a much better chance of someone investing. E.g. Gabs goes to Dragon's Den, he has to convince the savages sat in front of him his product is worth selling, a product the same as 1000s of others on the market. However, if he can show that he has found a problem and fixed it he will more likely get money for a factory and an injection moulding machine... Then MrHappy will buy it because he is happy a problem he identified has been solved. Is there anything that poses a problem in your work-related life you could do with being solved? 

Plastic moulding-

A shallow curricular box to mount an eyeball camera on, with 4 flattened sides for conduit entry

A box to screw on the wall behind the telly big enough to take a brick psu & have enough space to terminate shotgun to 12v or cat5 onto coax for the dvr

A plastic conduit box to connect to a RSC like the MK dantech but plaggy

Mr? Veritas God

3 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

A shallow curricular box to mount an eyeball camera on, with 4 flattened sides for conduit entry

Most eyeball cameras have optional conduit backboxes or rings?

A box to screw on the wall behind the telly big enough to take a brick psu & have enough space to terminate shotgun to 12v or cat5 onto coax for the dvr

A boxed PSU?

A plastic conduit box to connect to a RSC like the MK dantech but plaggy

What's up with a normal JB or the Dantech one. Would have to get graded to be useful.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Most eyeball cameras have optional conduit backboxes or rings?

yes, however a Hik one is £10ish & only suitable for for certain products, often has a hole for PG gland, can't be used as an elbow or a t

So plaggy, white or back, round plain lid  make your own fixing holes

38 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

A boxed PSU?

a 5a one would be quite big behind a telly

38 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

What's up with a normal JB or the Dantech one. Would have to get graded to be useful.

in fact make a circuit board to fit in a terminal box

Mr? Veritas God

6 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

yes, however a Hik one is £10ish & only suitable for for certain products, often has a hole for PG gland, can't be used as an elbow or a t

I don't fit Hik so no idea.

a 5a one would be quite big behind a telly

Dantech have a wide but very slim one for upto 8 cam jobs

There's also Elmdene Easyfit or other one's that look like a slim IP box as options.

in fact make a circuit board to fit in a terminal box

Butcher a normal JB with some cheap plastic mount?