Security Installer Community

Alarm Cables, 4,6,8 core

Thanks all, the cable was not bought on cost, and was normal price. As a now retired engineer most security wholesalers will only supply a reg company, and I live in a rural location now so going to a trade counter not an easy option. The company have stated today there are no standard colours for alarm cable, yet for over 40 years have only ever seen red, black, yellow, blue, green, white, brown, Orange. I also use mainly 8c cables. Anyone suggest a wholesaler who does not need a reg installer, account or can supply by post?

56 minutes ago, ultrasonic said:

Thanks all, the cable was not bought on cost, and was normal price. As a now retired engineer most security wholesalers will only supply a reg company, and I live in a rural location now so going to a trade counter not an easy option. The company have stated today there are no standard colours for alarm cable, yet for over 40 years have only ever seen red, black, yellow, blue, green, white, brown, Orange. I also use mainly 8c cables. Anyone suggest a wholesaler who does not need a reg installer, account or can supply by post?

Security warehouse

2 hours ago, ultrasonic said:

have only ever seen red, black, yellow, blue, green, white, brown, Orange. I also use mainly 8c cables.

I recall some tat that use to have pink instead of white.....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Cheers guys, much appreciated, the rubbish cable I bought was nearly five pounds per hundred metres more than the CQR cable. I have still not managed to find out if there is a BS 4737 standard colour for alarm cable cores, but have written to BSI.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just as an update, I wondered if the inner core colour of alarm cable was a standard, having used the same for 40 years, so I asked the BSI.

The reply was odd, they say Germany use all white inner cores for security!

There is no colour coding for the inner cores

The rip cord colour specifies the cable Type i.e. Type 1, 2 or 3." but did not say the colours to what grade.

Has anyone got a copy of BS4737 ? what does that say about cables?   BS4737-3.30 New Security Cable Standards