Security Installer Community

Foam Detectors

Gabs

Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of detectors that you'd get in older bell boxes? Or know how they worked?

I have just made one, using the most simple bits possible, two resistors, an LDR and a 2n2222 transistor. Did they work like that

a beam of light getting interrupted, or was it more advanced? Been testing mine, and I couldn't get it to false alarm at all.

Thanks,

Gabs 

IMG_4927.thumb.jpeg.459052ab5fb8b70d5b331fd2350560f1.jpegIMG_4936.thumb.jpeg.c1e7be951b15a0931ce7aaaec2521c35.jpegIMG_4937.thumb.jpeg.9720e952ce7d161354164d3026767832.jpeg

IIRC "Viper foam detector"

pcb within plastic case, size of shock sensor

IR Led + Receiver below the case

Used to FA when the housing filled with webs or bugs ect...

Used to FA when it got dark after it had be powered up the 1st time

Google has no pics & I've not see one in yrs....

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks, I have one of the "Modern Alarms" bell boxes with these in, will get a pic. Well, mine didn't false alarm at all, during light tests I did, I'm impressed. I know, looked on Google for some pics. Don't know why they couldn't be as simple as the one that I made. Those Hexagon bell boxes were such a good design, shame they changed it. The idea of a foam detector is flawed anyway, by the time it has been squirted? in it would be too late.  

IMG_4938.jpeg

their was a foam pedant (cqr ?) which had magnet to keep in vertical, foam or a 1/2 a brick being chucked a the bell would knock it in to alarm

there has been all sorts of clever stuff, however the industry is very "price sensitive" 

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

Interesting, I understand, its easier and cheaper to buy a fully made up bell box now. Do you take many of these down? Or have any old stock of these? Would be interesting to see them. I like the fact that the internals of a bell box are on 24/7, 365 days a year, constantly for 20 years or more, never get a break. some very robust electronics. 

1 hour ago, Gabs said:

I understand, its easier and cheaper to buy a fully made up bell box now.

IIRC we started buying CQR Cequra's early 1990's, the 1st batch lasted forever....

1 hour ago, Gabs said:

Do you take many of these down?

I can't recall the last anti foam device I removed, 

I have an old bell module that came down earlier in the yr , I'll pop a pic sometime

Mr? Veritas God

11 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

IMG_20190328_112643627.thumb.jpg.aedbedf0143ae263b8fd0b87738f95a4.jpg

IMG_20190328_112650697.thumb.jpg.5709589efef96d7faeac4b1fd23f77f7.jpg

This was removed the other week from a adaptable box in loft, oldest scantronic Digi i recall seeing

So this was a bell module? In the loft? Looks to be in very good condition, do you take down many standard bell modules? like SAB modules? 

4 minutes ago, Gabs said:

So this was a bell module? In the loft? Looks to be in very good condition, do you take down many standard bell modules? like SAB modules? 

no its a "scancom" digi unsure of model but dated 1984 ?

the trick with bell modules was to leave them in the plastic bag & it stopped most of the rusting

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

14 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Never had a problem with them, used loads in the past 

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

51 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Never had a problem with them, used loads in the past 

I think we'd about finished with them when I started

I recall the sticker s being reprinted to suit the size of cequra with a tel. No with a few digits less than today

Mr? Veritas God

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Sab1045 bell module I fitted these in the past but can't recall who made them, red/ blk goes to a comfort led

IMG_20190407_112449850.thumb.jpg.b97704c4882766a48e52a3a096bccf1d.jpgIMG_20190407_112455732.thumb.jpg.e3335f05bed59c174732588672ca4e66.jpg

That one looks good, do you still have them? or it? I could try and copy the board design out, im in need of a schematic for one. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's a digital? Looks old and interesting.

17 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Just for H 

Having a tidy up of the garage and cant believe i found one.

Gabs

You need a diode across the relay coil of that one you made to protect the transistor and possible a resistor to limit the current the relay pulls, well done on the MK1 cant wait to see your next projects.

Send me your address and will send this V foam to you

V Foam.jpg

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

7 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Just for H 

Having a tidy up of the garage and cant believe i found one.

Gabs

You need a diode across the relay coil of that one you made to protect the transistor and possible a resistor to limit the current the relay pulls, well done on the MK1 cant wait to see your next projects.

Send me your address and will send this V foam to you

V Foam.jpg

Wow, thanks. I am glad that you like my projects. I thought about a diode, and I will add one in the Mark 2 version. And thanks again, I will PM you my details. :) 

49 minutes ago, Gabs said:

That one looks good, do you still have them? or it? I could try and copy the board design out, im in need of a schematic for one. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's a digital? Looks old and interesting.

PM your details I will pop it in the post

Mr? Veritas God

Was thinking about that, I may make a Mk. 3 version with an Arduino Nano micro-controller, which has a delay on it, the Viper does to stop false alarms from insects. Might give using IR LEDs a go too

• 7 months later...
On 06/04/2019 at 20:00, Gabs said:

Thanks, I have one of the "Modern Alarms" bell boxes with these in, will get a pic. Well, mine didn't false alarm at all, during light tests I did, I'm impressed. I know, looked on Google for some pics. Don't know why they couldn't be as simple as the one that I made. Those Hexagon bell boxes were such a good design, shame they changed it. The idea of a foam detector is flawed anyway, by the time it has been squirted? in it would be too late.  

IMG_4938.jpeg

Is that a high security modern box?