Security Installer Community

Start An Alarm Manufacturer

Gabs

58 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

they wrote to every household in the UK to inform them of a potential fire risk in their external sounder,

which resulted every alarm co. being asked by loads of worried customers if the completely different box was going to burn them to death....

That just from water getting into them? Thats no good, It is loud though, 120dB

Ni cads can take a lot of abuse when I used to race model cars you could put more into them than so called fast charging today. Used to thermal charge at a stupid temp limit. Used to put the thermocouple on the pack. 

Ni mh was a good compromise of capacity etc but I'd go nicad on a bell if I wanted to design one

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Yeah, I have a 6v one, stolen from the PCB of my dead hexagon Modern Alarms bell box, was happy for me to put in 12v all day, drew no current, didn't get hot and it held a charge fine, probably how most SABs do the charging, constantly cutting power into the battery, through the Hold-Off Voltage 

14 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

@gabs you seen this tat before?

IMG_20190424_205313902.jpg

IMG_20190424_205125118.jpg

IMG_20190424_205110785.thumb.jpg.0ba5c94b8fe4fda9dadd2014e539dfe3.jpg

Avanti? Never seen or used one, why? The IC is Philips, not seen that before. And the T A D B Bell connections make me think of ADE

Edited by Gabs

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

After selling ADE the names behind it had a second go with MDT which didn't do so well

The PCB is marked as http://www.gspkcircuits.ltd.uk

ADE Sold to Novar and in turn to Honeywell? Funny how Honeywell own them, yet the newest Accentas still say ADE on them. I would be interested to get my oscilloscope on that Avanti and compare the serial data to an Accentas. I bet they would be the same or similar. So, GSPK make the boards, I wonder if they are also involved in the circuit design? Or thaw as done by whoever previously worked at ADE and left when they were sold? 

On 21/04/2019 at 11:33, MrHappy said:

Cqr intrega was the 1st complete plastic Ewd I recall...

ripped this of the wall on Friday-

IMG_20190503_100708022.thumb.jpg.ef037f98e26783d64e94548083974d8a.jpg

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

18 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

ripped this of the wall on Friday-

IMG_20190503_100708022.thumb.jpg.ef037f98e26783d64e94548083974d8a.jpg

Looks interesting, I think I have seen them before Look like this?

image.png.cfce7362bb6caef74ac38b147eb58974.png

Did it still work when you took it down? 

5 hours ago, MrHappy said:

that's the item...

this unit had failed, a siren had been added inside the box which had also failed...

Seen a few of them. Don't know why they were made so big, since it is all slim electronics. Do you still think there is any market for bell boxes that use real bells?

6 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I fail to see why you would want mechanical devices that are quieter and can wear over a piezo.

Would have thought it was because they are more distinctive like the Piezo, I could have a go at designing something that looks modern and slim yet has a bell, like a EuroBell, just been thinking of manufacturing processes that could be used to make such a bell box.. 

4 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

a bell is expensive & really heavy

I'd assume a speaker & the sound of mechanical bell  would be the modern way to do it

Do you think people would buy it/be interested? Just a standard speaker like an extension style speaker? I know of an amplifier circuit and would be able to find some sort of sound generation IC out there.

10 hours ago, MrHappy said:

that's the item...

this unit had failed, a siren had been added inside the box which had also failed...

Didn't the box crack or flake apart?