Security Installer Community

Start An Alarm Manufacturer

Gabs

Yes, I understand this, maybe discreet parts are better. As engineers, have your companies ever thought of making your own bell boxes, or even just the covers? My idea would be to design an ultra low-profile cover , get it made, screen printed and then fit it over a CQR MultiBox? In the image shown, it is a normal CQR MultiBox, with my custom injection moulded cover fitted on top

GabsBox.png

33 minutes ago, Gabs said:

As engineers, have your companies ever thought of making your own bell boxes, or even just the covers?

I suspect the cost of you producing a custom lid will probably have premium over CQR producing a custom lid.

However the concept of the multi box is a good idea but I don't see that many, the largest user & only one I can think that has a custom lid is secom ?

Mr? Veritas God

Yes, but it does give a look of individuality, having something that no one else does, look at ADT, there is like a black market for them on eBay, people want them. CQR already have the tooling, so they indeed could probably make and screen print lids, I wonder if they do all of the mouldings in house, or the Far East? 

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I suspect the cost of you producing a custom lid will probably have premium over CQR producing a custom lid.

However the concept of the multi box is a good idea but I don't see that many, the largest user & only one I can think that has a custom lid is secom ?

I was just think secom with the flashing beacon underneath lol

49 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

No one really cares about a custom bell and the client certainly doesnt

@Gabs when you down the shops next time, have a look who's sounder is on the building & who's sticker is on / above the keypad,

There's a few retailers which have blank or their own name on the sounder, the current service provider being the lowest bidder...

Mr? Veritas God

17 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

@Gabs when you down the shops next time, have a look who's sounder is on the building & who's sticker is on / above the keypad,

There's a few retailers which have blank or their own name on the sounder, the current service provider being the lowest bidder...

Was at Greggs this morning, they have their own name on the sounder,

50 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

↑ they have to fit widescreen cctv to fit the punters on the screen

Haha, catch them stealing the cream doughnuts! 

I may have a go at vacuum forming my own bell box cover, to fit around a CQR MultiBox. Is the MultiBox any good? Anybody use them?  If they are ****, ill just design my own circuitry :-) 

34 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I rate the multi box sia uses them but only the g3 one

Okay, I have seen the ones with two piezo sounders in them. Do you have any idea how they are driven? Had an old Ventcroft Classic PCB from 1996 connected to my oscilloscope, and it is reading a very high voltage, I am assuming that it is done from the transformer on the board? Interesting waveform, it was  moving in a very ordered pattern 

image.png.140bf610f2675589147221c583fba720.png

15 minutes ago, Gabs said:

Okay, I have seen the ones with two piezo sounders in them. Do you have any idea how they are driven? Had an old Ventcroft Classic PCB from 1996 connected to my oscilloscope, and it is reading a very high voltage, I am assuming that it is done from the transformer on the board? Interesting waveform, it was  moving in a very ordered pattern 

image.png.140bf610f2675589147221c583fba720.png

I think we need to clone you

Typical driver for a piezo. You'll find many examples on-line. The waveform is probably a warble or the like.  I'd suggest getting a copy of Horowitz & Hill 'the art of electronics' it's an excellent reference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Piezo needs high voltage old school mylar cone speakers need less but require more power. I prefered the lower freq as it gives more range but looks worse on spec sheets at 1m

By lower spec do you mean quieter? I would love to get my hands on one of the Lynteck sirens typically found in the bell boxes of the late 80s, or early 90s. Everyone had them. They are 118 dB, and make a distinct sound, any idea how they work? https://www.lynteck.co.uk/products/intruder/sounders/LY02-009-17.php these, I bet they have some sort of custom IC. 

16 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Typical driver for a piezo. You'll find many examples on-line. The waveform is probably a warble or the like.  I'd suggest getting a copy of Horowitz & Hill 'the art of electronics' it's an excellent reference.

I will have a look online, I have seen a few,  but I'm not sure if they are meant to drive something as loud as what I am after, although all I may need to do is ramp up the voltage to get the volume to increase 

15 minutes ago, Gabs said:

I would love to get my hands on one of the Lynteck sirens typically found in the bell boxes of the late 80s, or early 90s. Everyone had them.

I recall kinetic as the brand we bought (pic from google)

X2-12V-High-Powered-Electronic-Alarm.jpg

there where also massive brown ones,

Mr? Veritas God

9 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I recall kinetic as the brand we bought (pic from google)

X2-12V-High-Powered-Electronic-Alarm.jpg

there where also massive brown ones,

Yes, they were very popular, I am going to email Lynteck and ask if they can shed any light on the design, I doubt they will, but you never know. Might also email Kinetic, but they are probably the same company. Didn't realise Lynteck also had a range of bell boxes https://www.lynteck.co.uk/products/intruder/sounders/#external they all look quite good. Do you know how these sorts of sounder worked? I know many were made

10 hours ago, Gabs said:

Yes, they were very popular, I am going to email Lynteck and ask if they can shed any light on the design, I doubt they will, but you never know. Might also email Kinetic, but they are probably the same company. Didn't realise Lynteck also had a range of bell boxes https://www.lynteck.co.uk/products/intruder/sounders/#external they all look quite good. Do you know how these sorts of sounder worked? I know many were made

Yeah they also did an early variant of this in the 90's sponsored by Keith Flint... 

Screenshot_20190423-080654_Chrome.jpg

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

9 hours ago, norman said:

Yeah they also did an early variant of this in the 90's sponsored by Keith Flint... 

Screenshot_20190423-080654_Chrome.jpg

Kieth Flint? Okay haha, I emailed them, but they didn't have anything of interest to give me, just a PDF, showcasing all of their sounders. Is that sounder pictured any good?

45 minutes ago, Gabs said:

Kieth Flint? Okay haha, 

they wrote to every household in the UK to inform them of a potential fire risk in their external sounder,

which resulted every alarm co. being asked by loads of worried customers if the completely different box was going to burn them to death....

Edited by MrHappy
  • Like 2

Mr? Veritas God