Security Installer Community

Start An Alarm Manufacturer

Gabs

Any Help, comments or even criticisms are appreciated. If I wanted to start a company, to put my product idea into the market, how would I go about this, employing minimal people. Please see my basic structure below.. I do have a few unique ideas, which I think would really catch on, not just panels. And, is this how companies like ADE, Texecom and Pyronix do/did it? Or was it all done in house? No separate manufacturers 

STructure.png

you would need a developer / coder to write the firmware. Also most people would want the approval to be 3rd party certificated. |This costs a lot.

the unapproved market probably wouldn't need this but you would need to meet the component standards of EN

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I think you're asking the wrong people, ask us what features we would like yes, how to go about manufacturing it no. 

My advice to people who want to start their own installation company is always to go and work for an installer for a bit. There is far more to this industry than the black and white most people think. The panel needs to comply with many different EU and BS standards, stuff that you would not have even thought about, working for a co that already produces this stuff would give you that incite.

That said Imran (AlYeti) used to work in manufacturing for DA 

Thanks for the replies, I know about all the British Standards, been looking into them and seeing what my Accenta G4 (Newest one) complies with. What features would you like? I know I would want something that has a discreet keypad which isn't ugly or big, that blends in and isn't made of cheap plastic that'll just yellow. Same for a bell box, id design an ultra slim SAB, which is made from decent plastic. 

Hopefully AlYeti will stumble across this post and can give me an insight into the process, who are DA? 

50 minutes ago, Gabs said:

And, is this how companies like ADE, Texecom and Pyronix do/did it? Or was it all done in house? No separate manufacturers 

I assume-

ADE came from logic basic key operated panels & each new model became more complex than the previous ?

Texecom was cheap Pir maker which expanded the range into a vertias then employed a 3rd party to engineer the premier ?

Pyronix was a cheap Pir maker, (mid 80's be 5 x 2019 prices) expanded out to making other sensors, sounder & then low end panels, in the end purchasing a proper panel maker

I'd also assume if you had the ability to produce intruder alarm controls you would make a lot more doing something different  ?

Mr? Veritas God

32 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

That said Imran (AlYeti) used to work in manufacturing for DA 

Proper company DA pity they didnt want to evolve the abacus instead of selling to Bosch

Have a look at the latest company that are saying they are going to take all of the market www.boundary.co.uk and boundary technologies

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

5 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Proper company DA pity they didnt want to evolve the abacus instead of selling to Bosch

Have a look at the latest company that are saying they are going to take all of the market www.boundary.co.uk and boundary technologies

Ah when sold out to Bosch that was the end , everyone has a price , and it's to expensive to make things here

Developers and manufacturing much cheaper in China and elsewhere , 

Was da one of the last in UK? 

Thanks for the replies, a basic design I had for a bell box was this:image.thumb.png.39220184348ac576fc16c169596363f6.png 

I would like to think that it has been designed well with encapsulated or even potted electronics, designed for any weather or condition. I could look at making a bell box or shed alarm first? Before trying a full main control panel? 

6 minutes ago, Amps said:

Well well well. The cat is out the bag so to speak

Nah you to busy installing enforcers to notice I admitted that long time ago lol

I been all over Ealing borough working for manufacturers

Dowty electronics was good to , they made these nice submarine bouy disposable , just chicken in the sea and ping all over the place , that went to in the end 

Edited by al-yeti

2 minutes ago, Gabs said:

Thanks for the replies, a basic design I had for a bell box was this:image.thumb.png.39220184348ac576fc16c169596363f6.png 

I would like to think that it has been designed well with encapsulated or even potted electronics, designed for any weather or condition. I could look at making a bell box or shed alarm first? Before trying a full main control panel? 

At da allot of the soldering got subbed out in the end , was prepared there and then as we say the "aunties " took them home lol , although they could solder better than the men ,

You would do the same sub it all out and have lots of agreements in place 

Oh these alarm gorillas here are really all house bashers under cover

22 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I'd also assume if you had the ability to produce intruder alarm controls you would make a lot more doing something different  ?

What else could be produced, I can see the main things needed for a panel could be injection moulding facility and a PCB manufacturing machine?

19 minutes ago, Gabs said:

If I was insane enough to get involved in the manufacture of alarm stuff-

Happytronic would import cheap & cheerful tat from the far east, say sounders or lead acid batteries

if this proved to be successful the most simple product to start in house manufacture would be an tampered extension speaker,

I suspect creating a commercially successfully alarm panel manufacturer from nothing is very hard ...

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

14 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

If I was insane enough to get involved in the manufacture of alarm stuff-

Happytronic would import cheap & cheerful tat from the far east, say sounders or lead acid batteries

if this proved to be successful the most simple product to start in house manufacture would be an tampered extension speaker,

I suspect creating a commercially successfully alarm panel manufacturer from nothing is very hard ...

Thanks, making things in China would be cheaper, but making stuff here is good too, I am NO Brexiteer, but this it employs people here so that is good, but buying things from there cheaply is good. Yes, it might be hard, although I do want to start a company, could start an eBay business I guess, selling those dummy LED modules. 

7 minutes ago, Gabs said:

What else could be produced, I can see the main things needed for a panel could be injection moulding facility and a PCB manufacturing machine?

Consumer electronics ?

or something like a room thermostat is 1/2 the price of 9948 but the development & build cost must be way cheaper

An expensive thermostat is about the same cost of commercial controls & keypad but the development cost must be way cheaper & in your warehouse you can fit 20-30 in same space as metal endstation

Mr? Veritas God

12 minutes ago, Gabs said:

Thanks, making things in China would be cheaper, but making stuff here is good too, I am NO Brexiteer, but this it employs people here so that is good, but buying things from there cheaply is good. Yes, it might be hard, although I do want to start a company, could start an eBay business I guess, selling those dummy LED modules. 

Produce a pp3 power standalone shock sensor like we used to buy in the early 90's

Produce commercial controls which network together rather than panels & expanders ?

Produce an 8 zone wire panel with  onboard keys, which is nice & slim cuase it got a NiMH battery

There loads of stuff which could be made, the hard part would be making money

Mr? Veritas God

56 minutes ago, Gabs said:

3d machine?

8 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Produce a pp3 power standalone shock sensor like we used to buy in the early 90's

Produce commercial controls which network together rather than panels & expanders ?

Produce an 8 zone wire panel with  onboard keys, which is nice & slim cuase it got a NiMH battery

Oddly they can do it with fire I thought and all expensive , no one would buy the panels even though cheap to make would be sold to expensive lol

11 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I agree and even harder getting the money to do it in the first place, only thing I can think is a bank loan? However, if it was successful, it would end very well, for person starting the company and the products being made would be better. 

Features:

Nobody makes an alarm with a decent chime noise anymore (I liked the 9100 chime and the DA chime) 

Variable EOL settings, making panel changeovers a doddle

Onboard intelligent analytics, a panel that can make decisions based on environmental detection inputs.

41 minutes ago, Gabs said:

I agree and even harder getting the money to do it in the first place, only thing I can think is a bank loan?.

to set up manufacturing you'd go to a venture captial co. 

However I'd assume CSL have made lots more £ than any panel maker ever has & there a "marketing co." ?

Mr? Veritas God

14 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Features:

Nobody makes an alarm with a decent chime noise anymore (I liked the 9100 chime and the DA chime) 

Variable EOL settings, making panel changeovers a doddle

Onboard intelligent analytics, a panel that can make decisions based on environmental detection inputs.

If I do go into the panel ,manufacture further, ill take note of these. The chime one is good. Environmental detection inputs?

2 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

to set up manufacturing you'd go to a venture captial co. 

However I'd assume CSL have made lots more £ than any panel maker ever has & there a "marketing co." ?

I will look into this too, CSL?