Security Installer Community

Access Control System Wiring

neon555

Hi guys,

I've purchased myself a simple access control system and I'm fairly confident I know what I need to do.

The power leads appear to not matter how they are connected (which does to + and -, as long as they are connected).

One thing I want to check before I start is what type of wire I should be using to connect the components. The "Power Supply Control" is a K80 (see attached picture).

The device will be outputting 12v DC (3A). I know this is not much different from the alarm system I installed a year or two ago, but I am unsure if I can use the same cable. The alarm cable is 8 core cable, so presumably I would slice it open and use a single strand - as per each required wire, but whenever something comes to electrics I always like to be 100% sure.

Will I be okay to use the wire in the manner I have described. Should I use all 8 cables per connection or should I be using a totally different wire entirely (taking an AC cable and using an individual strand of that) OR shall I use something else entirely. If you could include any information - as well as possibly links - to the best wire to use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your continued support guys,

John

Power Supply Control - K80.jpg

3 hours ago, neon555 said:

Hi guys,

I've purchased myself a simple access control system and I'm fairly confident I know what I need to do.

The power leads appear to not matter how they are connected (which does to + and -, as long as they are connected).

One thing I want to check before I start is what type of wire I should be using to connect the components. The "Power Supply Control" is a K80 (see attached picture).

The device will be outputting 12v DC (3A). I know this is not much different from the alarm system I installed a year or two ago, but I am unsure if I can use the same cable. The alarm cable is 8 core cable, so presumably I would slice it open and use a single strand - as per each required wire, but whenever something comes to electrics I always like to be 100% sure.

Will I be okay to use the wire in the manner I have described. Should I use all 8 cables per connection or should I be using a totally different wire entirely (taking an AC cable and using an individual strand of that) OR shall I use something else entirely. If you could include any information - as well as possibly links - to the best wire to use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your continued support guys,

John

Power Supply Control - K80.jpg

Alarm cable will do 

Well that's all very interesting but doesn't really answer my question.

I've found the wires are roughly the same size as the wires inside my alarm cable, so I'll just use those.

Don't worry about it being cheap/unsafe and hurting users etc, it's a home device designed to protect just one cupboard, and from what I've found it's very popular.

Of course if anyone else would like to recommend something else which isn't too expensive I'll happily take a look. The entire kit was  around £70, so I was hardly expecting tip top parts. I'll post some pictures of the other bits if anyone wants to see?

It came with:

- The control module you see above

- A plastic door release button

- A bolt and clasp

- A control panel (code/RFID/fingerprint)

I've been having a little trouble getting it all to work, as the two manuals suggest different ways of connecting it, however I'm hoping to figure it out soon.

23 minutes ago, neon555 said:

I've found the wires are roughly the same size as the wires inside my alarm cable, so I'll just use those.

IIRC alarm cable is rated 1A at 12vdc

23 minutes ago, neon555 said:

Don't worry about it being cheap/unsafe and hurting users etc, it's a home device designed to protect just one cupboard, and from what I've found it's very popular.

Should this device fail & cause death, injury or fire.

The implications could an insurer refusing to pay out or a prison term

Mr? Veritas God

54 minutes ago, neon555 said:

Doubt you would have the same view if it set fire to something, highly possible if something failed.

Input is AC so no positive or negative...

Alarm cable would make sense for everything on ELV side, unless you have data transmitted then you will likely need a TP cable.

PSU's don't "emit" 3A they "supply". Each core of good quality alarm cable as a max current of 1A @ <50V max.

Therefore, I would be using all the wires of an 8 core, if you are crazy and plan to pull a 3A load from this cheap supply for whatever reason.

I'd think an extra 50 quid or so would have got something safe, that comes with a understandable manual?

Although the text on the terminals seems fairly straight forward.

I reckon the cheapest option would have been a mechanical solution on the cupboard.

3 hours ago, neon555 said:

Well that's all very interesting but doesn't really answer my question.

Of course if anyone else would like to recommend something else which isn't too expensive I'll happily take a look. The entire kit was  around £70, so I was hardly expecting tip top parts. I'll post some pictures of the other bits if anyone wants to see?

It came with:

- The control module you see above

- A plastic door release button

- A bolt and clasp

- A control panel (code/RFID/fingerprint)

I've been having a little trouble getting it all to work, as the two manuals suggest different ways of connecting it, however I'm hoping to figure it out soon.

So in this kit what will it release ? I must have missed something? What's the bolt and clasp going to be used for?

15 hours ago, al-yeti said:

So in this kit what will it release ? I must have missed something? What's the bolt and clasp going to be used for?

Hidden cupboard full of the no duty paid cigs & tabaco...

Mr? Veritas God