Security Installer Community

What texecom system to get?

Ramanoop

Hi, 

I'm planning on getting an intruder alarm for my 3bd mid-terrace house in London, with a detached garage at the end of the garden that backs onto an alleyway. I've had several alarm companies come to quote, but they all make vastly different proposals in terms of what they suggest installing, so it's very difficult to compare like for like. 

I'm conscious that what they're proposing might not be the best system for me - just what suits them, so I wanted to get your objective opinion as to what would be ideal. I should mention that by far the best installer I have had visit was from Banham, who really knew what he was talking about, with the worst being from Verisure (who just wanted to sell me his product). 

Once I've gotten some advice from you as to what I should be going for, I'm hoping to ask a number of installers whether they can install it, and choose whoever seems most competent. 

So here is my current thinking as to what I want - would you mind letting me know what you think?

1. Wireless system with option to wire stuff in (particularly in case the reception in the garage becomes worse over time as the 868 band becomes more congested). 

2. Bells only with an autodialer. (I can't see a point in my case in getting it monitored or with police response - by the time they arrive, the burglars will have everything worth taking). 

3. The system configured to minimise false alarms at almost all cost. E.g. I don't want the siren to sound if the wireless comms go down or if power is disconnected - I want it to fail silently. 

4. Control panel in an airing cupboard with a wireless keypad near the door. I think I should have a wired keypad too in the cupboard - I don't want to be unable to turn off a constantly sounding alarm because of a wireless issue.

5. A dual tech sensor in the kitchen/diner and high quality PIRs in the lounge, hallway and landing (are quad tech less prone to false alarms?)

6. Two wireless bells (one at the back of garage and one at the front of the house)

7. Wireless contact sensors on the front door, the garage doors, the rear french doors and a shoc sensor on the garage window. 

8. Internet connectivity.

I've settled on a Texecom system. Sadly Banham seem to only offer a Pyronix system, but that's not my preference - I see this system as lasting 20 years and I want to be able to reprogram it and make additions if I need to - I see this as 'my' system, just like I might get someone to set up a computer for me, but I want to be able to install software myself! I hear Texecom is more difficult at the back end but offers much more support to end users. 

But I'm confused as to what to specify - specifically:

(A) Are quad sensors the right choice to minimise false alarms, or are they more sensitive than regular sensors?

(B) I've figured out I'll need a GSM dialler and the Smartcom wifi/ethernet communicator - that's right, isn't it?

(C) Is there any chance with a Texecom system of faults causing the alarm to sound (e.g. faulty wireless connection, low batteries, etc?) Is there any way to avoid this if so?

(D) Looking at the Texecom Premier Elite system, I see essentially 3 options (1) - A grade III metal control panel like the Premier Elite 48, with a separate wireless expander and hard wired keypad next to it (for emergency use) , (2) a grade II plastic control panel the 64-W - I wouldn't need the wireless expander as it has inbuilt wireless capability, but I'd still need the emergency keypad, (3) the Premier Elite 64-W LIVE, which contains wireless tech and a keypad. Is there any downside to (3)? Is it less flexible? Would I still be able to add GPRS modems, etc, down the track? 

I'd really appreciate any advice you have.

28 minutes ago, Ramanoop said:

Hi, 

I'm planning on getting an intruder alarm for my 3bd mid-terrace house in London, with a detached garage at the end of the garden that backs onto an alleyway. I've had several alarm companies come to quote, but they all make vastly different proposals in terms of what they suggest installing, so it's very difficult to compare like for like. 

I'm conscious that what they're proposing might not be the best system for me - just what suits them, so I wanted to get your objective opinion as to what would be ideal. I should mention that by far the best installer I have had visit was from Banham, who really knew what he was talking about, with the worst being from Verisure (who just wanted to sell me his product). 

Once I've gotten some advice from you as to what I should be going for, I'm hoping to ask a number of installers whether they can install it, and choose whoever seems most competent. 

So here is my current thinking as to what I want - would you mind letting me know what you think?

1. Wireless system with option to wire stuff in (particularly in case the reception in the garage becomes worse over time as the 868 band becomes more congested). 

2. Bells only with an autodialer. (I can't see a point in my case in getting it monitored or with police response - by the time they arrive, the burglars will have everything worth taking). 

3. The system configured to minimise false alarms at almost all cost. E.g. I don't want the siren to sound if the wireless comms go down or if power is disconnected - I want it to fail silently. 

4. Control panel in an airing cupboard with a wireless keypad near the door. I think I should have a wired keypad too in the cupboard - I don't want to be unable to turn off a constantly sounding alarm because of a wireless issue.

5. A dual tech sensor in the kitchen/diner and high quality PIRs in the lounge, hallway and landing (are quad tech less prone to false alarms?)

6. Two wireless bells (one at the back of garage and one at the front of the house)

7. Wireless contact sensors on the front door, the garage doors, the rear french doors and a shoc sensor on the garage window. 

8. Internet connectivity.

I've settled on a Texecom system. Sadly Banham seem to only offer a Pyronix system, but that's not my preference - I see this system as lasting 20 years and I want to be able to reprogram it and make additions if I need to - I see this as 'my' system, just like I might get someone to set up a computer for me, but I want to be able to install software myself! I hear Texecom is more difficult at the back end but offers much more support to end users. 

(A) Are quad sensors the right choice to minimise false alarms, or are they more sensitive than regular sensors?

(B) I've figured out I'll need a GSM dialler and the Smartcom wifi/ethernet communicator - that's right, isn't it?

(C) Is there any chance with a Texecom system of faults causing the alarm to sound (e.g. faulty wireless connection, low batteries, etc?) Is there any way to avoid this if so?

(D) Looking at the Texecom Premier Elite system, I see essentially 3 options (1) - A grade III metal control panel like the Premier Elite 48, with a separate wireless expander and hard wired keypad next to it (for emergency use) , (2) a grade II plastic control panel the 64-W - I wouldn't need the wireless expander as it has inbuilt wireless capability, but I'd still need the emergency keypad, (3) the Premier Elite 64-W LIVE, which contains wireless tech and a keypad. Is there any downside to (3)? Is it less flexible? Would I still be able to add GPRS modems, etc, down the track? 

I'd really appreciate any advice you have.

Let's get first bit clear

You like banham but want to DIY install or for them to install and you take over after that?

So get install done and have no warranty correct?

I like Banham but they only install a Pyronix panel.

I'm planning on getting a pro install, but of the system I specify. I want opinions from this forum as to what system I should get - I don't just want whatever system a particular installer happens to have too many of in his van. 

Whoever I go with, I'll get a maintenance contract for the first 12 months to ensure that the system is set up correctly, then likely do the upkeep after that (replacing batteries, etc) - same as with my smoke detectors, etc. 

Edited by Ramanoop

4 hours ago, Ramanoop said:

I like Banham but they only install a Pyronix panel.

I'm planning on getting a pro install, but of the system I specify. I want opinions from this forum as to what system I should get - I don't just want whatever system a particular installer happens to have too many of in his van. 

Whoever I go with, I'll get a maintenance contract for the first 12 months to ensure that the system is set up correctly, then likely do the upkeep after that (replacing batteries, etc) - same as with my smoke detectors, etc. 

Premier elite 48w might be what you want, 

Why don't you just phone texecom ? As for faults and problems you need get it installed with someone and your done , false alarms often caused by the user flaffing around with system with trial and error stuff

Other question will be after 12months how much will the installer charge to come and reset panel for user control as you won't get engineers codes immediately if on a contract etc 

Can't remember if you need an installer for texecom cloud services etc 

Not much else to say apart from you will mash it all up at some point and be back here

11 hours ago, Ramanoop said:

Hi and welcome to the forum, one tip shorter posts encourage people to read what you have written, I understand you have a lot of questions, ask them one at a time .

You really dont need a dual tech in your kitchen, DT's are made for hostile areas like garages barns ect. People think because its made up of two technologies and it costs more it must be better. They dont understand that its made for a different environment, the only time I would use DT's in a domestic environment is if I am using pet tolerant detection where the microwave is specifically designed to prevent false alarms from your pet. Quads are the better detector for domestic non quad if you are on a budget.

Texe imo is not the best you can get, but you are already fairly confused on what you really want so I wont put you off.

Peter, 

Thanks very much for the advice - I'll take that on board. What would you suggest for a reliable wireless system (but with the option to hard wire stuff, like distant sensors, control panel, bell) that can easily be tinkered with by the layman?

Money isn't really a concern - not because I'm rich, but because I want the system to last 20 years or so - if I can get a reliable system that lasts that long, the price per year won't be that much, and I hopefully won't need expensive fault finding visits.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ramanoop said:

Yeti, 

Thanks, why the 48w over one of the live series?

Thanks, 
David

You could do either but forget 20yrs as happy said 

Does texecom provide cloud services direct to the end user is a question , many companies don't and some that did don't anymore , that leaves you with real DIY gear like Yale 

Because what would be the point of installing something you can't maintain 

So perhaps investigate it, banham probably won't help you after but a local house basher may do a deal and hand over after a year and you just as and when you need him 

OP everything needs paying for. I would be worried about anyone that can supply any service for 'free'

IMHO the best 2 way wireless is HKC but that from my sister comp actually installing it. Visonic and Pyronix are popular due to lower cost. Id search here for views on Pyronix. Honeywell are weak on product offering and availability. Id assume that will change 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

38 minutes ago, norman said:

Genuine Q, what makes the HKC better than Texe other than it's slightly harder to purchase?

Id say that the quality of HKC is slightly better, the panel has a few more features than most. For instance, every panel with a smartphone app will inform you when your kids come home an unset the alarm. But very few will inform you that they have not come home by the time they were supposed to, its just a versatile well made panel. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, norman said:

Genuine Q, what makes the HKC better than Texe other than it's slightly harder to purchase?

Texecom Radio - 2 x ewd, 2 x rkp & 4 contacts...

I'd assume at least 1 callback during warranty ?

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, norman said:

All changing now , more suppliers coming on board , now the sparkies can also purchase it unless suppliers are restricted from who they can sell to , which isn't the case, as long as your some sort of cabling trade you can buy it 

Edited by al-yeti
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, norman said:

i rate hkc highly maybe i should do a direct comparison for here. Sia uses hkc and hasn't had a callback ever for rf issues. I've also done test sites for it with and without mesh. But agreed it wasn't vs Texecom

• Like 1

I won't be asking for anything for free - I'll be paying for installation and for a year of maintenance. Every installer I've spoken to will hand the system over to me after this point. Banham even gives the engineers codes upon installation. 

I don't want to get an HKC system - it doesn't look like they even manufacture grade 3 panels. I don't need one, but it makes me question how serious they are. Also, Texecom has mesh networking, which seems better.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ramanoop said:

I won't be asking for anything for free - I'll be paying for installation and for a year of maintenance. Every installer I've spoken to will hand the system over to me after this point. Banham even gives the engineers codes upon installation. 

I don't want to get an HKC system - it doesn't look like they even manufacture grade 3 panels. I don't need one, but it makes me question how serious they are. Also, Texecom has mesh networking, which seems better.

Seriously can't take you seriously not that your slate hkc , all manufacturers have there issues including hkc

Grade 3 lol

22 minutes ago, Ramanoop said:

Banham even gives the engineers codes upon installation. 

Serious company then

Warranty won't be worth much with you having that or you will pay when you mess it up 

Yes, Banham emphasise that the system they install belongs to the customer. I've inferred that they deal with a lot of high-end residential installations where the clients have their own security consultants. Unfortunately, their prices do reflect this!

But back on track, is there a downside to me getting a Premier Elite 64-W LIVE (a grade 2 plastic panel with inbuilt keypad, which currently seems like the best option), over:

(a) a Premier Elite 64-W, and adding a separate wireless keypad; or

(b) a Premier Elite 48 grade 3 panel, and adding a wireless model and a separate wireless keypad?

I think the 64-W Live only has a 1.2ah battery (vs. the grade 3 panel which can take a 7ah. Is that concerning?

Also, would each of the above come with a power supply on board or would that be separate?

There you go again grade 3 must be better its a bigger number and it costs more. Seriously you dont want G3, I can count on one hand how many G3 domestic systems we have out there, nearly all our G3 systems are high-end jewellers and museums. HKC dont make G3 that's because they may a G2 system much better than everyone else making G2/3 systems. if you are going to look after it yourself it wont even be a G2 system DIY is G1.  It sounds like the Bahnams Salesman has no clue if he has told you that you can have the engineers code, sounds the type that will say anything to get the sale. They wont give you the engineering code.

• Like 2

not that its relevant but HKC are testing their G3 panel. Not that they will sell many but maybe its because of the op view. My own system is a hkc 10240

if i didn't need wireless i would probably have installed a Vanderbilt spc

2 hours ago, james.wilson said:

not that its relevant but HKC are testing their G3 panel. Not that they will sell many but maybe its because of the op view. My own system is a hkc 10240

if i didn't need wireless i would probably have installed a Vanderbilt spc

WiFi Lan or dual ? Or signed up to your other company?