Security Installer Community

Norzbeck

Norzbeck

Hi Every body.I have just registered and would like to ask a question please.

I have an excisting alarm.The alarm works fine, but the outside bell sounder does not operate when the alarm is activated.I have removed the bell,(which is very old and a circular bell inside the bell box).I would have just liked to replace the round bell, but it is proving quite difficult to replace with another round bell.There are only for wires into the bell box red and black to the bell and blue and yellow are tamper and go to a micro switch that is activated then the screw is removed from the bell box.

Could somebody please tell me as the wiring is so basic what type of bell box I could replace it with or where I can buy a round bell to go in the existing bell box. 

That type of bell hasn't been manufactured in many decades.

Replace for an SAB of your choosing you may find a model with the aesthetics your looking for.

If you need help with the wiring upload a picture of the panel end terminals and we can try and point you in the right direction.

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/intruder-alarm-c-36/sounders-c-36_45/

On 13/12/2018 at 12:39, Norzbeck said:

Hi Every body.I have just registered and would like to ask a question please.

I have an excisting alarm.The alarm works fine, but the outside bell sounder does not operate when the alarm is activated.I have removed the bell,(which is very old and a circular bell inside the bell box).I would have just liked to replace the round bell, but it is proving quite difficult to replace with another round bell.There are only for wires into the bell box red and black to the bell and blue and yellow are tamper and go to a micro switch that is activated then the screw is removed from the bell box.

Could somebody please tell me as the wiring is so basic what type of bell box I could replace it with or where I can buy a round bell to go in the existing bell box. 

Straight forward low security DIY dot com

+12v 

-0v

Bell is the trigger 

But your old panel needs to be seen to be sure how to connect it, assuming your panel output goes to zero or goes to 12v will depend on where you can connect a sounder to it 

You need the tamper blue and yellow that might be able to work across the zero volts and t connection but that's if you buy an up-to-date date bell 

Or just buy an electronic sounder to suit the power output and stick it the old box 

And then don't buy a new phone or service your car for a couple of years and save up to have a new alarm fitted or buy a new alarm to be fitted and come back here and get help how to replace it possibly

Make sense?

15 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I have explained the best way forward.

Replacing your bell would be a waste of time and energy even if you can find a like for like replacement.

Hi Sorry if I addressed you by the wrong name.Why would replacing the bell be a waste of time.The alarm works perfectly fine.It is just the external bell does not ring when the alarm is activated.

15 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Straight forward low security DIY dot com

+12v 

-0v

Bell is the trigger 

But your old panel needs to be seen to be sure how to connect it, assuming your panel output goes to zero or goes to 12v will depend on where you can connect a sounder to it 

You need the tamper blue and yellow that might be able to work across the zero volts and t connection but that's if you buy an up-to-date date bell 

Or just buy an electronic sounder to suit the power output and stick it the old box 

And then don't buy a new phone or service your car for a couple of years and save up to have a new alarm fitted or buy a new alarm to be fitted and come back here and get help how to replace it possibly

Make sense?

The alarm works perfectly fine.It is just the outside bell does not sound when the alarm is activated.There are a red and a black going to the existing bell.And only the tamper loop wires to the micro switch.That is all the wires in the outside bell box. 

14 minutes ago, Norzbeck said:

The alarm works perfectly fine.It is just the outside bell does not sound when the alarm is activated.There are a red and a black going to the existing bell.And only the tamper loop wires to the micro switch.That is all the wires in the outside bell box. 

You done anything I said then? Or ignored what anyone is writing?

20 hours ago, al-yeti said:

You done anything I said then? Or ignored what anyone is writing?

Hi Global Moderator,

Thank you for your answer.I was really just wondering if I could do a straight swap using the existing 4,wires.Is that possible.

ai-yeti,

If you read my questions it was not to test the panel or anything else.I simply asked what I could exchange my non working bell too.

5 minutes ago, Norzbeck said:

Hi Global Moderator,

Thank you for your answer.I was really just wondering if I could do a straight swap using the existing 4,wires.Is that possible.

ai-yeti,

If you read my questions it was not to test the panel or anything else.I simply asked what I could exchange my non working bell too.

Ok so choose a bell and yes you can 

Theoretically you only need the red and black if that's what's its doing to power the horn on trigger

Tamper is another circuit which can be modified yes 

But any bell could work 

Photos?

9 hours ago, Norzbeck said:

Why do I need to look at the bigger picture, to just change the outside sounder. 

You want a 12v bell 6" bell to fit inside your existing an alarm sounder ?

I can source you one, you want my best price or you wanna make a bid...

Mr? Veritas God

7 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

More expensive than a half decent sounder from SW?

More expensive than an expensive sounder from an expensive wholesaler...

then I want add 40% to cover my cost, but I will do free carriage ;)

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

12 hours ago, Norzbeck said:

Hi sixwheeledbeast,

Why do I need to look at the bigger picture, to just change the outside sounder. Al- Yeti has said I can use any external bell,as there are only 2, wires that power it. 

He means overall what's best , and is correct 

However send a picture of your bell inside and out

And your control panel inside and out 

Then our yellow friend can list a sounder with free post for you that should work 

On 15/12/2018 at 11:17, Norzbeck said:

Hi Sorry if I addressed you by the wrong name.Why would replacing the bell be a waste of time.The alarm works perfectly fine.It is just the external bell does not ring when the alarm is activated.

It's an old out dated bell which isn't worth trying to fix. Just grab a new SAB you often find with these old parts once one part fails the rest is sure to follow 

Hi, Mr Happy and Al-Yeti,

I appreciate the sound advice you have both been kind enough to give.I will do the inevitable and go to a local alarm company and buy the best unit that will work with my existing 2,wires. Take care and all the best.