Security Installer Community

Alarm System Advice for Newbie

bob2611

Consider the security exploits found in these smart devices on a daily basis, then consider they are connected to your security system...

Consumer grade boxes that plug into the internet shouldn't be trusted with the keys to your security systems, it proves a single point of failure. Security is about layers.

CCTV stuff I fit is from trade only wholesalers. Being able to have a look at your house is of little use when your nowhere near site. Are you going to watch this app 24/7, or just show people down the pub?

Good quality reliable and correctly installed CCTV can be nice to have, but not worth cutting the budget on the other security first is my point here.

This is where a risk assessment done by someone knowledgable is worth it's salt.

Any decent installer can look at the property and assess what you need, rather than just chuck tat boxes on the wall which serve at best as a mild deterrent.

7 hours ago, bob2611 said:

A colleague said that Nest are about to release their wireless alarm system in 2019 in the UK. It's available in the US. I was thinking about this if it's released early enough or possibly have it imported.

alarm-system.jpg

oh dear...

Mr? Veritas God

47 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

alarm-system.jpg

oh dear...

Lol, it might work better than others , this might effect the sale of the pyronix enforcer to diyers............

What is a proper alarm anyway these days ?

5 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Lol, it might work better than others , this might effect the sale of the pyronix enforcer to diyers............

What is a proper alarm anyway these days ?

do you reckon the pyronix enforcer is the best wireless option ?  I accept the nest does look a little amateur but does tick alot of boxes including fobs and smart home integration. Do you need to buy cloud subscription to manage\view on the phone  (as it uses a central server) ? Do you know how long the batteries last ? That's the thing that puts me off with these wireless systems. Having to get a ladder out every 3-6 months to replace the battery in the bell box or PIR's .

5 minutes ago, bob2611 said:

do you reckon the pyronix enforcer is the best wireless option ?  I accept the nest does look a little amateur but does tick alot of boxes including fobs and smart home integration. Do you need to buy cloud subscription to manage\view on the phone  (as it uses a central server) ? Do you know how long the batteries last ? That's the thing that puts me off with these wireless systems. Having to get a ladder out every 3-6 months to replace the battery in the bell box or PIR's .

Old rubbish yes , change batteries often

Poor setup leads to wireless bells going off often resulting in bells needing batteries to often , although poorly trained users can do this to but less so

Nest has also a paid for option atleast it does in the u.s and will have e that here to from what I know 

I think enforcer is best option for a fixed alarm system for diyers although the bell tamper gets everyone lol

But eventually you may need an installer for the cloud side , they give end user support though from what I have seen 

Others here might be enforcer experts who know more

On 16/12/2018 at 14:26, MrHappy said:

you live in a modern house ?

Hi Mr Happy, no. the house is a victorian semi detatched with high ceilings. I am quite IT savvy so I love having everything linked in to google home including my TV, sonos and lights. 

al-yeti, thank for the response. I will take a deeper look at the enforcer. Do you know if it will do wireless and wired. I am thinking to wire in the bell box and some pir's and do some wireless where cables are going to be difficult.

It also sounds like I can add the wifi\internet portion on at a later date. Does that make sense or is it easier to program the alarm system from the app so buy and fit at the same time ?

3 hours ago, bob2611 said:

Hi Mr Happy, no. the house is a victorian semi detatched with high ceilings. I am quite IT savvy so I love having everything linked in to google home including my TV, sonos and lights. 

al-yeti, thank for the response. I will take a deeper look at the enforcer. Do you know if it will do wireless and wired. I am thinking to wire in the bell box and some pir's and do some wireless where cables are going to be difficult.

It also sounds like I can add the wifi\internet portion on at a later date. Does that make sense or is it easier to program the alarm system from the app so buy and fit at the same time ?

The bellbox can be powered but still wireless to the panel, most wireless systems can do this. The visonic Powermax has wiring for an external sounder as does the HKC Quantum, not sure about the Enforcer, Scantronic Ion, or the Texecom. But I guess they would all be the same 

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

The bellbox can be powered but still wireless to the panel, most wireless systems can do this. The visonic Powermax has wiring for an external sounder as does the HKC Quantum, not sure about the Enforcer, Scantronic Ion, or the Texecom. But I guess they would all be the same 

Enforcer has a card for wiring bell box 

Although not sure if a WiFi card and the bellbox card can both go in same time 

7 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Do you mean that you can only have one or the other?

Possibly , I remember something has to be done but then someone else said there was room for a csl mini somehow so there is some fiddling

Especially when you flip the front off still not held together by much surprised they don't hinge the panel the Muppets

Q70 better by far 

And texecom and scanny don't do a small all in one  panel meaning newer version , do they?

Edited by al-yeti
Usual Brexit getting closer English not getting any better

5 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Possibly , I remember something has to be done but then someone else said there was room for a csl mini somehow so there is some fiddling

Especially when you flip the front off still not held together by much surprised they don't hinge the panel the Muppets

Q70 better by far 

And texecom and scanny don't do a small all in one  panel meaning newer version , do they?

I thought the ion was a small one, not sure about the Texe I dont really do diy

Thanks for advice guys. The Enforcer v10 is looking very good. I can add a card to make it wireless and wired and I have the phone app too. It even works with Hikvision, which makes me veer towards hikvision for the CCTV. Does anyone know if chinese hikvision on aliexpress work with the enforcer ? 

45 minutes ago, bob2611 said:

Thanks for advice guys. The Enforcer v10 is looking very good. I can add a card to make it wireless and wired and I have the phone app too. It even works with Hikvision, which makes me veer towards hikvision for the CCTV. Does anyone know if chinese hikvision on aliexpress work with the enforcer ? 

Swerve aliexpress Hikvision, none of it is Hik its a poor copy of the Hik Codec. You would be far better off buying the DIY version of Hikvision (Think its called HiVision) at least you will get a quality product. Trust me I buy a lot from China its taken me quite a while several years of visiting factories to find decent suppliers 95% of them are rubbish. 

16 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Swerve aliexpress Hikvision, none of it is Hik its a poor copy of the Hik Codec. You would be far better off buying the DIY version of Hikvision (Think its called HiVision) at least you will get a quality product. Trust me I buy a lot from China its taken me quite a while several years of visiting factories to find decent suppliers 95% of them are rubbish. 

Hiwatch by hikvision

What you will be upgrading to

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Hiwatch by hikvision

What you will be upgrading to

We are still using Milestone at our top end and we have started to use Dahua at our bottom end, though we are still importing some CCTV from Latvia, the US, and China, but not so much nowadays its a pain sending the stuff back.