Security Installer Community

Alarm System Advice for Newbie

bob2611

On 12/12/2018 at 20:22, sixwheeledbeast said:

Forget all that keyfob and Google Home rubbish, have yourself some quotes for a decent wired alarm fitted properly.

You could potentially wire it yourself to keep cost down if you approve this with the installer first.

Consider the deterrent factor of a external sounder with an approved company on.

As for CCTV I personally avoid both Dahua and Hik, very often CCTV is not fit for purpose on many domestics, better to spend more on the intruder and physical security first IMO.

Thanks for posts everyone !.  I appreciate the response.

sixwheeledbeast, why do you say the keyfob and google integration is rubbish. Does these technologies not work, or have the alarm companies not caught up ? Is there any manufacturers\alarm system that you can recommend ?

A colleague said that Nest are about to release their wireless alarm system in 2019 in the UK. It's available in the US. I was thinking about this if it's released early enough or possibly have it imported.

The same colleague has a CCTV system at their house (no idea which one) but you can see the whole house on the phone and see what is going on. I just want to  be able to go back and check something when there is an issue. Is there a CCTV brand you would recommend that I focus on ?

Consider the security exploits found in these smart devices on a daily basis, then consider they are connected to your security system...

Consumer grade boxes that plug into the internet shouldn't be trusted with the keys to your security systems, it proves a single point of failure. Security is about layers.

CCTV stuff I fit is from trade only wholesalers. Being able to have a look at your house is of little use when your nowhere near site. Are you going to watch this app 24/7, or just show people down the pub?

Good quality reliable and correctly installed CCTV can be nice to have, but not worth cutting the budget on the other security first is my point here.

This is where a risk assessment done by someone knowledgable is worth it's salt.

Any decent installer can look at the property and assess what you need, rather than just chuck tat boxes on the wall which serve at best as a mild deterrent.

7 hours ago, bob2611 said:

A colleague said that Nest are about to release their wireless alarm system in 2019 in the UK. It's available in the US. I was thinking about this if it's released early enough or possibly have it imported.

alarm-system.jpg

oh dear...

Mr? Veritas God

47 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

alarm-system.jpg

oh dear...

Lol, it might work better than others , this might effect the sale of the pyronix enforcer to diyers............

What is a proper alarm anyway these days ?