Security Installer Community

Alarm System Advice for Newbie

bob2611

I was hoping for some help with choosing an alarm system and CCTV system. I am quite good at DIY so I am trying to fit myself as I have just moved in to my first house and all the costs that go with that. We had an attempted break in a few days ago and we are now worried about security.I am looking at wireless for the alarm system, but will consider wired as any POE camera I install will need cabling anyway. So I kinda feel I will have to run wires anyway. It's a standard semi detached house with a garden and alleyway. 

What are we looking for from an alarm system ?

PIR and door contacts
Zoning for areas
A key fob option
Something easy to use. Most of these systems use codes and weird programme sequences.
An mobile app where we can program it, set it on\off and see which PIR\contact went off and it's not cryptic\hard to use
Ideally connected to Google home. Our Nest thermostat knows when we are not in the house due to the location on our phones and works accordingly. I was hoping for something similar. i.e. something that some intelligence and can turn on when we are not there in case we forget. 

CCTV: Ideally going for dahua or hikvision IP cams and would like it to integrate in to the alarm so we can everything from the same app (not important though).

I would appreciate it if anyone can let me know if I have missed any feature or can recommend a system. I am grateful for any help anyone can offer in this minefield.

Forget all that keyfob and Google Home rubbish, have yourself some quotes for a decent wired alarm fitted properly.

You could potentially wire it yourself to keep cost down if you approve this with the installer first.

Consider the deterrent factor of a external sounder with an approved company on.

As for CCTV I personally avoid both Dahua and Hik, very often CCTV is not fit for purpose on many domestics, better to spend more on the intruder and physical security first IMO.

1 hour ago, bob2611 said:

I was hoping for some help with choosing an alarm system and CCTV system. I am quite good at DIY so I am trying to fit myself as I have just moved in to my first house and all the costs that go with that. We had an attempted break in a few days ago and we are now worried about security.I am looking at wireless for the alarm system, but will consider wired as any POE camera I install will need cabling anyway. So I kinda feel I will have to run wires anyway. It's a standard semi detached house with a garden and alleyway. 

What are we looking for from an alarm system ?

PIR and door contacts
Zoning for areas
A key fob option
Something easy to use. Most of these systems use codes and weird programme sequences.
An mobile app where we can program it, set it on\off and see which PIR\contact went off and it's not cryptic\hard to use
Ideally connected to Google home. Our Nest thermostat knows when we are not in the house due to the location on our phones and works accordingly. I was hoping for something similar. i.e. something that some intelligence and can turn on when we are not there in case we forget. 

CCTV: Ideally going for dahua or hikvision IP cams and would like it to integrate in to the alarm so we can everything from the same app (not important though).

I would appreciate it if anyone can let me know if I have missed any feature or can recommend a system. I am grateful for any help anyone can offer in this minefield.

DIY go for 

Hikvision hiwatch 

Hikvision pyronix enforcer 

Its decent  DIY gear being installed by proffesionals

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

It depends who you ask. My oppinion would be that most people install it because its easy and cheap in comparison to pro stuff

Yeah but I talking about traders lol

By the way do you use the hkc GSM/WiFi dual card , is the WiFi part any better than original single WiFi card , as that one drop out a fair bit due to routers

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

of course, but it costs twice as much as Wifi alone or GSM alone and so if you dont need dual path, and the Wifi drops out alot, and you cant be assed to fit a lan card and run a network, just fit GSM on it own 

Twice as much? Nah cost difference is small GSm drops to 

Can't see why you would have single path only , perhaps it's because I looking at it on house bashing point of view so cost difference to have both is minimal 

5 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Twice as much? Nah cost difference is small GSm drops to 

Can't see why you would have single path only , perhaps it's because I looking at it on house bashing point of view so cost difference to have both is minimal 

And I connect mine to an ARC and the app is a free add-on, whereas the app is the selling point for you.

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

And I connect mine to an ARC and the app is a free add-on, whereas the app is the selling point for you.

from my end the app is the selling point, not monitoring. Had 2 quotes this week for coppers, both said police response was useless they both said they wouldn't attend in time. I thought if the lads that get the call think its useless what to advise

2 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

You got keyholder , police or remaniac response? 

be better when/if ever 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

from my end the app is the selling point, not monitoring. Had 2 quotes this week for coppers, both said police response was useless they both said they wouldn't attend in time. I thought if the lads that get the call think its useless what to advise

be better when/if ever 

Bizarrely we had a takeover recently where the customer was told by the Police that they were removing Police response from the company that they were with for telling people exactly that. The Police had contacted SSAIB and everything apparently. I personally would not rely on self monitoring, the amount of times a day I miss calls because I have left my phone in my car, office, workshop, store room. If I am in a meeting my phone is off, there are plenty of places I go where I have no signal. Much better to have a monitoring station dealing with my alarm problems  

agreed but that isn't the feeling from the police themselves. To be fair to matt b he said the same a while ago. The advent of all self mon systems puts us to the point that 999 calls from any system will get a better response than a urn. We also have done the same re cctv. Why go 8418 when you can get a response?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

7 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

we all value your advice dave. Im trying diy roof repairs the weekend, just need to borrow a ladder. 

I did minor roof repairs in the summer, it much easier when its nice & sunny

At the weekend I'm in the office & also on the tools

Mr? Veritas God

On 12/12/2018 at 20:22, sixwheeledbeast said:

Forget all that keyfob and Google Home rubbish, have yourself some quotes for a decent wired alarm fitted properly.

You could potentially wire it yourself to keep cost down if you approve this with the installer first.

Consider the deterrent factor of a external sounder with an approved company on.

As for CCTV I personally avoid both Dahua and Hik, very often CCTV is not fit for purpose on many domestics, better to spend more on the intruder and physical security first IMO.

Thanks for posts everyone !.  I appreciate the response.

sixwheeledbeast, why do you say the keyfob and google integration is rubbish. Does these technologies not work, or have the alarm companies not caught up ? Is there any manufacturers\alarm system that you can recommend ?

A colleague said that Nest are about to release their wireless alarm system in 2019 in the UK. It's available in the US. I was thinking about this if it's released early enough or possibly have it imported.

The same colleague has a CCTV system at their house (no idea which one) but you can see the whole house on the phone and see what is going on. I just want to  be able to go back and check something when there is an issue. Is there a CCTV brand you would recommend that I focus on ?