Security Installer Community

New house, getting rid of old alarm

Just moved into a ‘new’ house, built 18yrs ago. It has an old ADE Optima Compact intruded alarm (of unknown generation). I want to remove it and fit something more modern. 

Obviously when i disconnect the mains supply, the alarm soundest go off. So I took the cover off the main pane and disconnected the 12v battery. This disables the internal alarm, but the external siren continues.  Why? Does it have it own battery? 

Thanks in advance. 

D156DE2C-692E-4EC3-B7A4-19C488DD5891.jpeg.709db0e5ccb2d39937da66362af120fa.jpeg

Yes to fully decommission a system you will have to get up to the external sounder.

Looks like like the panel and possibly bell has been recently swapped, going from the colour of the plastic, the iconic keys, the hold-off working and the paint over where the original panel was.

Does the current system work? What would you replace it with?

This isn’t a picture of mine, this is just one that came up on google when I put “ADE Optima Conpact” in. Ours is in the loft, and looks decidedly less fresh than this. 

No no it doesn’t work, seems to be missing sensors from when doors and windows were replaced a few years ago. Probably easy enough to rectify, but I have an Agility 3 alarm which I am currently using, so just want rid of this ADE one. 

There is a battery in the bell to stop would be burglars from getting around your alarm system by switching the power off, or removing the bell, or cutting the wires to the bell.

It used to happen, but not so much nowadays, I cant remember the last time we had anyone attempt to circumvent a system before breaking in. 

8 hours ago, dazedconfused said:

This isn’t a picture of mine, this is just one that came up on google when I put “ADE Optima Conpact” in. Ours is in the loft, and looks decidedly less fresh than this. 

No no it doesn’t work, seems to be missing sensors from when doors and windows were replaced a few years ago. Probably easy enough to rectify, but I have an Agility 3 alarm which I am currently using, so just want rid of this ADE one. 

Just turn it off and remove it end of.