Security Installer Community

The end of smart home?

North American market AFAIK.

I still see most of this stuff as a gimmick, with the potential for security issues.

Most automation I would use can be done either via custom outputs on an alarm or simple relays, contactors, photocells and timers.

Anything more fancy I would consider looking at GPIO on a SBC, at least you can ensure the thing you connect to the internet is up to date with the latest security patches.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

North American market AFAIK.

I still see most of this stuff as a gimmick, with the potential for security issues.

Most automation I would use can be done either via custom outputs on an alarm or simple relays, contactors, photocells and timers.

Anything more fancy I would consider looking at GPIO on a SBC, at least you can ensure the thing you connect to the internet is up to date with the latest security patches.

What about the voice activation bit

I'm not sure what the topic is.... however

Because let's be honest, a wireless light switch does not cost more than 3 bucks to produce. It just doesn't. And then I keep seeing prices like 20 to 50 bucks a pop.... remember how many switches you need and do the math.[/qoute]

when it does become more common place the cheapest tat will be the market leader

Mr? Veritas God

44 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Why do I want something listening to everything I say to offer a reaction?

People have lost the idea of automation.

Devices should know what to do automatically, I don't need a pet.

Cos your real name is Peter and he has no one to converse with , so made this swb id up to talk to

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I'm not sure what the topic is.... however

Could have been a diyer on here, or it could have been sarcasm 

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Cos your real name is Peter and he has no one to converse with , so made this swb id up to talk to

Talking of sarcasm......

The market is flooded with loads of products it is quite hard to decide what to buy, I have a mixture of the most expensive and cheaper kit. RF lightwave (expensive) only seem to do dimmer lights for some reason, which makes them even more expensive when you want LED lights everywhere. Broadlink one of the cheapest is very innovative, their lightswitch doesnt require a negative to work, the broadlink controller has ir as well as radio and WiFi which means you can control Tv Hifi  and just about anything that has ir including my aircon at work, the sw has a 7 day timer so I can program the heating to start 10 mins before I arrive at work and I can switch it off from my phone or Alexa of course if I am not going to be in.

• 3 weeks later...

Voice activation isn’t smart, it’s lazy.

Having lights come on based on presence detection etc, is smart.

The problem is, today’s consumer market seems to be dominated by Alexa, the dumb bint :p

From reading the link in the opening post, it seems the theory behind Iris was ok, but ... the problem is, there’s still a lot of back end logic required at this moment in time. No system is pick up and plug and play :(

I’m forever tweaking my OpenHAB config. And that right there is the problem, I can count on one hand how many of my friends would tolerate/have the patience to run an OpenHAB system or similar. Yet every many and his dog could program Alexa to switch a light on.

Edited by Vini
  • Upvote 1

Lazy is what smart is all about, presence detection saves you walking to the light switch. Not having to get up to close my curtains switch the lights or tv on is useful and smart. My curtains are on a timer, but the tv and lights wouldnt switch on without my presence, but they wont switch on just because of my presence either.

I fail to see the difference between a remote and app for controlling the TV. In fact I would say it's more convenient to have an IR remote that can stay in the room and not have to jump through account registration, privacy policy and biometrics tripe to setup a new TV.

As for the lights, I see point in having different themes and modes for a large house so something like Lutron makes sense. In reality you need lights for occupancy and lights for presence either of these can be done without a Smart app as I posted above.

In using OpenHAB you have no concerns of privacy leakage via third parties, I would say that's worth the setup time, I agree that many of the public would disagree however that's up to them.

It's supply and demand with these smart devices, if Amazon/Google/Whoever make a product that is easy and anyone can use, then that is a larger consumer base to obtain and sell analytical data from. This allows them to make new product to keep demand thriving.

Lazy is the wrong way to look at it IMO. Automation should be a network suite of tools for efficiency, not the height of laziness. At this point the term "smart-*" is far from smart.

7 hours ago, Vini said:

Voice activation isn’t smart, it’s lazy.

Having lights come on based on presence detection etc, is smart.

What if I'm present and don't want my lights to come on? 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

What if I'm present and don't want my lights to come on? 

Don't solely utilise presence detection... I have a combination of lux, motion and presence configured in rules to best try and work out the desired effect.

if lux < 200, and time of day is between 7am and 10pm, and my phone is detected within the house, then the lights will come on. If my phone is not detected as being home when the rule is triggered, then it assumes im not home and the lights dont come on. 

17 minutes ago, Vini said:

Don't solely utilise presence detection... I have a combination of lux, motion and presence configured in rules to best try and work out the desired effect.

if lux < 200, and time of day is between 7am and 10pm, and my phone is detected within the house, then the lights will come on. If my phone is not detected as being home when the rule is triggered, then it assumes im not home and the lights dont come on. 

I have a light switch, its much less ******* about

Edited by MrHappy
sweary

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, Vini said:

Doesn't answer my question though. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.